ADVERTISEMENT

Harris Jr., Johnson no longe rpart of team

Honestly I didn't think he was physically ready for the SEC but the skill was there. He played for a football powerhouse in ST Thomas Aquinas and performed pretty good there.

He was not an SEC cornerback. Wasn't big enough to come up and play man coverage and knock big receivers off their route. If you can't do that, you need to be playing at Furman.

What exactly happened? Did they leave on their own? Were they dismissed for breaking a rule or something?

Or just sent packing because it was figured they weren't going to play?

What exactly happened? Did they leave on their own? Were they dismissed for breaking a rule or something?
Or just sent packing because it was figured they weren't going to play?

He's not worthless, he was S E C first year freshman. But yes, I was routing for when Al Harris Jr. was going to bulk up 10 pounds more muscle--he badly needed that for longterm S E C success.
A regular Gamecock writer (Josh K or the other) said,today, he'd let us know more ASAP. I read another person say that "David Johnson and Al Harris Jr. were kicked off the team."
Now , I don't believe EVERY thing I read. And coaches and teammates have long said A. H. Jr. had a good positive ATTITUDE. And so, I'd have to scratch my head in wondering if he did do ANYthing negative (like drugs or slapping women or stealing). I just don't see that in his character.

With all due respect, this was a no-brainer for our new staff. Good luck to the kid.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Al Harris would have seen the field at all next season. He's just way too undersized & appears to be 140 pounds soaking wet. He has some skill but the size just isn't there. If he puts on about 15-20 pounds he could likely make it on the Div 1 level. I wish him the best with whatever school he decides to transfer to. It is evident that Champ & company want play makers & guys who will contribute to the team's success.

With all due respect, this was a no-brainer for our new staff. Good luck to the kid.

The new staff can't dismiss him without cause. He has a "no-cut" scholarship. This has nothing to do with "brains. "

Or just sent packing because it was figured they weren't going to play

The latter cannot happen. Coaches can't just send them packing. Plus, it would be a pretty dumb coach to send someone packing before even seeing them in Spring practice.

Reactions: 85alum#
Why knock Furman? They do have a national championship and played for 2 others.

I did not take that as "Knocking Furman." It is recognizing they play in a lower division. Most Furman fans and even their players understand that. Also, Yale has a bunch of NC's too. So does Army.

Some of you need to show some respect to some young men who came to this program and tried to help us win. It did not work out for them for whatever reason and they are not going to be a part of the plans for future. These are 19-21 year old kids for God's sake. Again....some very unnecessary heartless comments on this forum. Thank you Al Jr. and David for your efforts for the Gamecocks. Please understand that the majority of us in Gamecock Nation only wish you the best.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Al Harris would have seen the field at all next season. He's just way too undersized & appears to be 140 pounds soaking wet. He has some skill but the size just isn't there. If he puts on about 15-20 pounds he could likely make it on the Div 1 level. I wish him the best with whatever school he decides to transfer to. It is evident that Champ & company want play makers & guys who will contribute to the team's success.

I remember the day it was announced that Harris had committed to us. I read he was like 5' 10" and 150lbs, and my first thought was he would never have the size needed to play SEC. I wish both Harris and Johnson good luck and hope they can land at another school somewhere.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Some of you need to show some respect to some young men who tried to come to this program and help us win. It did not work out for them for whatever reason and they are not going to be a part of the plans for future. These are 19-21 year old kids for God's sake. Again....some very unnecessary heartless comments on this forum. Thank you Al and David for your efforts for the Gamecocks. Please understand that the majority of us in Gamecock Nation only wish you the best.

Hope they go to where they can get an education. A real one! Always thought Johnson needed to play DT but was too small. I wish them well, wherever they go.

Some of you need to show some respect to some young men who tried to come to this program and help us win. It did not work out for them for whatever reason and they are not going to be a part of the plans for future. These are 19-21 year old kids for God's sake. Again....some very unnecessary heartless comments on this forum. Thank you Al and David for your efforts for the Gamecocks. Please understand that the majority of us in Gamecock Nation only wish you the best.
Totally agree. I have no problem with Mods deleting personal attacks on players. Most fans are grateful for the contributions. If I am not wrong he made SEC freshman of the week one time. Not void of talent. He did have some fighting spirit to him. Just needed to get stronger.

Reactions: surfincock
The new staff can't dismiss him without cause. He has a "no-cut" scholarship. This has nothing to do with "brains. "
No scholarship is guaranteed. Look at how many players Spurrier every year sent packing that were underperforming to make more scholarship room. I wish the kid luck. I think the new coaches realized quickly that Lammons and the juco kid were better options.

sone of you would benefit by getting your panties out of a wad, no one is wishing harm on the guy or overly bashing him, just speaking the truth. He wasn't good enough to play in this level, period. I would love to see him do great things, but you are lying to yourself if you think he was good enough sometimes the truth hurts.

Last edited:
No surprise to see Gamecock fans lining up to trash our players/former players. It's one thing we are great at.
Gamecocks eat their own at the drop of a hat. We always have. We always will.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT