ADVERTISEMENT

Has RT hired anyone worth their pay?

Have you taken a tour of our athletic facilites as of late? Taken a peek at how our student-athletes are performing academically? Noticed we were one of a few schools that haven't had to cut a single sports program?

Tanner is doing fine.

Can you point me to the tour of our post-2012 championship banners and trophies?

And how long should I plan to tour those? 15 seconds?

Shane Beamer hasn't coached a game. Can't make a decision on him yet.

I'm going by the hope that Shane Beamer will do great. After a crappy Gamecock Season minus the Women's Basketball team, this has to be the worst Gamecocks Athletic program in the nation..

2020 Football really bad. Sucks to high heavens.
2020 -2021 Men's Basketball worse and we kept the head coach. No other school would be this stupid.
2021 Baseball season Great start 2-1 against Clemson and laid an egg at the end of the season with poor coaching
2021 Softball season, what can you say? Lost big time to a first year Clemson Softball team.

Ray Tanner the Worst AD in the country and we couldn't man enough to fire him after the last out yesterday.

I'm going by the hope that Shane Beamer will do great. After a crappy Gamecock Season minus the Women's Basketball team, this has to be the worst Gamecocks Athletic program in the nation..

2020 Football really bad. Sucks to high heavens.
2020 -2021 Men's Basketball worse and we kept the head coach. No other school would be this stupid.
2021 Baseball season Great start 2-1 against Clemson and laid an egg at the end of the season with poor coaching
2021 Softball season, what can you say? Lost big time to a first year Clemson Softball team.

Ray Tanner the Worst AD in the country and we couldn't man enough to fire him after the last out yesterday.
We just put the guy who promoted Tanner to be his lackey back to President.

Can you point me to the tour of our post-2012 championship banners and trophies?

And how long should I plan to tour those? 15 seconds?
2016-2017 Women's Basketball Team. 2015 Women's Equestrian. And a men's individual title in Tennis in 2019.

Can you show me any not won by Tanner or that occured prior to him becoming AD?

Tom Mendoza took his team to the NCAA tournament and won a match each time in his first two seasons as the volleyball coach. (Last season the tournament field was reduced due to COVID). Something we haven't done in a long time. Definitely RT's best hire.

2016-2017 Women's Basketball Team. 2015 Women's Equestrian. And a men's individual title in Tennis in 2019.

Can you show me any not won by Tanner or that occured prior to him becoming AD?
Jesus Christ you are nothing more than an arbiter for mediocrity. Go sell crazy somewhere else. You are what your record and the score says you are. Tanner is a great fund raiser and a shitty AD. There is no debate.

I simply answered your question. You avoided mine.

I have an answer for you......with most (of the very few) titles or banners won over the last 10 years, Tanner should be thankful every single day he inherited coaches like Spurrier, Staley and Shelley Smith.

But thats a RT fan-boy tactic, give him credit for everything, accountability for nothing.

Reactions: bflogger28
I have an answer for you......with most (of the very few) titles or banners won over the last 10 years, Tanner should be thankful every single day he inherited coaches like Spurrier, Staley and Shelley Smith.

But thats a RT fan-boy tactic, give him credit for everything, accountability for nothing.
So your answer is "NONE"?

BTW, there were 2 equestrian titles in 2002 and 2003. And who is to say that Tanner didn't give the coaches whatever they needed to be successful.

So your answer is "NONE"?

BTW, there were 2 equestrian titles in 2002 and 2003. And who is to say that Tanner didn't give the coaches whatever they needed to be successful.
The answer is the one you got. And maybe the fan-boys should send a thank you to Eric Hyman.

The answer is the one you got. And maybe the fan-boys should send a thank you to Eric Hyman.
I don't have any problem with Hyman. He was great at planning. He provided a blueprint and I have never argued otherwise. Have met on several occasions both men and both are very good at what they do.

I don't have any problem with Hyman. He was great at planning. He provided a blueprint and I have never argued otherwise. Have met on several occasions both men and both are very good at what they do.
So the Tanner fan-boy lesson for today is.....the almighty Tanner gets credit for success on the courts/fields by coaches he did not hire and do not hold him accountable for any of the loses on the courts/fields by the coaches he actually did hire. Got it.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Try guessing how a pitcher is going to pitch to you in every possible circumstance. Try hitting an 88+ fastball that has movement or a 4-seam v a 2-seam. Then try hitting a changeup. splitter, curveball or slider off the same pitcher. A 70% failure rate will give you a decent shot at the HOF. Even on a 3-0 pitch...the best hitter's count....the chances of making an out are over 60%. People on here act as though it is as easy as completing a pass.

The state of the program after the way Holbrook left it is fine for right now. Recruiting is going well, Kingston made a coaching switch that involves that changing of the approach at the plate. Didn't have a full fall or spring practice to get the players used to those changes....and it takes a while to change a person's approach and swing.
USC was right at the bottom in batting average in all of D1 and had no batter that batted over .300 on the team. He had a SS and 3rd baseman that was at a nifty .200 all year. That doesn't sound like great coaching to me. Combine that with the K ratio and that tells the tale. Very fortunate to be over .500 in conference play.

So the Tanner fan-boy lesson for today is.....the almighty Tanner gets credit for success on the courts/fields by coaches he did not hire and do not hold him accountable for any of the loses on the courts/fields by the coaches he actually did hire. Got it.
The moment you start using ad hominem attacks is the moment you have lost.

Call it whatever you want but my take that Tanner has led USC mens sports into a world of mired mediocrity is 1,000% true. And you prove it as well with your boast of an equestrian (RT also didn't hire Boo Major) and individual tennis national title. Pathetic.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Call it whatever you want but my take that Tanner has led USC mens sports into a world of mired mediocrity is 1,000% true. And you prove it as well with your boast of an equestrian (RT also didn't hire Boo Major) and individual tennis national title. Pathetic.
Yet ONLY equestrian championships won before (other than those he personally won). With the improvements he has made to the whole athletic department, you can not win this argument. Period.

If you want someone whose sole responsibilty is to hire and fire, name an employment search firm as AD. Hyman used Fogler to pick our basketball coaches....both of them. He went with who Fogler picked.

Yet ONLY equestrian championships won before (other than those he personally won). With the improvements he has made to the whole athletic department, you can not win this argument. Period.

If you want someone whose sole responsibilty is to hire and fire, name an employment search firm as AD. Hyman used Fogler to pick our basketball coaches....both of them. He went with who Fogler picked.
Whatever "improvements" you are referencing have not led to anything but complete mediocrity from USC mens sports over the last 5 years. Whatever the entire athletic department does...from facilities to fundraising....are only done in the interest of one goal......winning in competition. Nice, new suite seating in Williams Brice means zilch when folks are sitting in those seats watching us consistently lose year after year.

Obviously you and I will NEVER agree in an overall assessment of Tanner. We have a very different view of the majority role and accountably for the athletic director. And its ok to leave it at that.

What no one can deny is the current state of UofSC big three mens sports is far from what any of us who love the university should expect. And in the AD org chart, there is one guy sitting at the top making millions each year.

Try guessing how a pitcher is going to pitch to you in every possible circumstance. Try hitting an 88+ fastball that has movement or a 4-seam v a 2-seam. Then try hitting a changeup. splitter, curveball or slider off the same pitcher. A 70% failure rate will give you a decent shot at the HOF. Even on a 3-0 pitch...the best hitter's count....the chances of making an out are over 60%. People on here act as though it is as easy as completing a pass.

The state of the program after the way Holbrook left it is fine for right now. Recruiting is going well, Kingston made a coaching switch that involves that changing of the approach at the plate. Didn't have a full fall or spring practice to get the players used to those changes....and it takes a while to change a person's approach and swing.
Who hired Holbrook?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Oh please. Does a curse word change the truth somehow? The answer is no. We all appreciate what Tanner brought us in baseball but we are a joke in men's athletics currently, especially the revenue sports. Tanner has overseen the demise of our football and basketball programs with a steep drop off in baseball. I don't know how you or anyone else can make an argument for Tanner when, clearly, he is well below par as an AD in a Power 5 conference. Again, there is no debate. Any attempt to the contrary is an egregious attempt at futility.

Shane Beamer's salary is about the same as Clark Lea's towards the bottom of the SEC. If he has a good year 2 or 3, I'm sure he would get a raise in the range of Stoops at KY who is getting paid close to $5M. Not to be rude, but RT will get what he paid for in year 1. I don't think anyone has high expectations, do they? The improvement may be more likely to be noticeable in year 3 since recruiting took such a hit this past year. Beamer did a good job working the transfer portal, but it's always 50/50 when you take guys that did not play power five football. The early signing period forced a longer rebuild with coaching transition.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Ray Tanner was a great baseball coach who was rewarded for his achievements as a baseball coach by being promoted to a job that one (Pastides) must have feel that he, Tanner, was capable of handling. Mistake number one. So Pastides recommended Tanner to the board which, mistake number two, approved.
Tanner then rewarded his long-term faithful, capable ASSISTANT, to be the head coach of the best collegiate baseball program in the country at that time. A seemingly very plausible, no-brainer decision. Mistake number three?
So now we are where we are. We can only judge people in leadership positions by the results of their decisions. It is not a matter of what anyone else would have done. No one else was is in the position of Pastides, Tanner, or the board. No one else or no other group of persons had first hand knowledge of a persons leader ship, decision making abilities.
What is painfully obvious now is that Pastides, The board, and Tanner made a series of decisions that has plunged our athletic program into the depths of futility. And the board has further damaged the University by the hiring of a president that, again, was incapable.
ONCE AGAIN, the hiring of Holbrook at the time was the right move. No mistake there. Now if you want to argue that he was forced to resign a year or two later than he should have been, that's a valid argument.

Why? How long did RT take to get us where we wanted. I'm willing to give it more time. With the disaster Holbrooke left, if half what hear is true, he deserves more time.
I was asking sarcastically. Kingston is a winner. I can't say I like the offensive approach, but it is clear we have better players coming. We're not far away.

Reactions: Jbouton2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT