ADVERTISEMENT

Hate to see BM leave. Urich your time is now***

The person that this really impacts is Michael Scarnecchia, he is now the backup.

And somewhere Lorenzo Nunez who has not found a school and would probably be getting his wish and be moving back to qb group this week, goes duh

Just saw a article, Nunez is still enrolled maybe he comes back?

Nunez is gone..!

Where did Nunez go? What school did he transfer to?

Why did John Whittle write this yesterday in an article:

"McIlwain becomes the third quarterback to transfer during head coach Will Muschamp’s tenure at South Carolina joining Connor Mitch and Lorenzo Nunez. Mitch landed at James Madison but it was announced recently he would transfer from that program as well. Nuñez is still in school at South Carolina and his future destination is unknown at this point."

He wrote that because he doesnt know what he's talkn about. Nunez is going somewhere in Louisiana leaving campus today.

Is Nunez going to "Southeastern Louisiana University "?

I heard they have some good defense down there some guy Bobby Boucher is quite a prospect, I hear

bobby-boucher-o.gif

And yes every 10th post for me is about where is Lorenzo Nunez and where is he going, I'm glad the mystery is solved and I can move on in my life.

Last edited:
The person that this really impacts is Michael Scarnecchia, he is now the backup.

And somewhere Lorenzo Nunez who has not found a school and would probably be getting his wish and be moving back to qb group this week, goes duh

Just saw a article, Nunez is still enrolled maybe he comes back?

amazing that we could not find a way to use nunez and b mac.

Could be, but I'm willing to bet he'll come closer to running this offense as a QB than McIlwain was ever going to.

Have you seen him play? I watch several games and his skill set is no where near the guy he stepped in behind at Wren (kelly bryant ) not even close. but, like bmac and nunez, Ulrich will be able to help us if we find way to use him.

Have you seen him play? I watch several games and his skill set is no where near the guy he stepped in behind at Wren (kelly bryant ) not even close. but, like bmac and nunez, Ulrich will be able to help us if we find way to use him.
The main point of this entire exchange is that McIlwain was never going to be "the guy" here. The other guy might not be, either, but then again, he hasn't even been tested yet. Our coaches must have had some reason for bringing him in here.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
The main point of this entire exchange is that McIlwain was never going to be "the guy" here. The other guy might not be, either, but then again, he hasn't even been tested yet. Our coaches must have had some reason for bringing him in here.
I agree and I be willing to bet your paycheck he finishes his career here at a position other than QB. Which is fine. I hope he does great

Don't care about any player that punks out and runs after 1 season...Most freshmen redshirt even if they are good...Branden got to play a lot and still pouted and quit...Yes Bentley played better last year..But you wish BMac had the fortitude to understand he could mature and develop into a better player...But if he doesn't believe in himself quitting was the best thing to do...I wish him luck finding a place where he doesn't have to compete...

Don't care about any player that punks out and runs after 1 season...Most freshmen redshirt even if they are good...Branden got to play a lot and still pouted and quit...Yes Bentley played better last year..But you wish BMac had the fortitude to understand he could mature and develop into a better player...But if he doesn't believe in himself quitting was the best thing to do...I wish him luck finding a place where he doesn't have to compete...

Yes. I wish we had more players that would stay the course and work their a off and compete for playing time. Too often they take the easy way and tap out

Urich will be a TE before he leaves here.
Wrong, Urich is 190 pounds.

He's actually a really good passer if you watch his latest highlight video. He goes through his progressions well and makes tough non rhythmic throws.

Reactions: DirtyCock99
Yes. I wish we had more players that would stay the course and work their a off and compete for playing time. Too often they take the easy way and tap out
I think people are being too quick to judge. Maybe he's realized that baseball is the route to go and he's not going to be able to excel in both sports. He's simply looking for a fresh start.

I think we were lucky to keep him in the coaching transition. I hope he finds what he's looking for and works hard for it.

You cant really not be serious with that Brandon is a quitter BS. His reps in practice last year & spring this year are QB draws. Why would kid who is receiving NO DEVELOPMENT TRAINING stick around to be a USC back up QB. Ridiculous to think any intelligent kid would stay...!!!

Better pray Bentley stays healthy....he gets hurt season down the tubes!
Agreed, although I think Bentley needed BMAC pushing him last year. Bentley had good moments, but people seem to forget his bad games were ugly. You can't excuse him because he played better teams. That's how you end up happy with a 6-6 season.

In Baseball you need your reps, wish we were playing him, if he wants to go MLB, they draft the JUCO's or community college guys very high, he has a lot of good options

He is not quitting because he is a quitter by any means we were not playing him and in baseball, that was wrong in my honest opinion, he needs to develop to get paid, and needs to play

The last big time baseball recruit Holbook didn't play that MLB scouts were following and kind of ran off by not putting on the travel squad was Ryan Ripken,

In 2012 he was a 20th rnd pick of the Orioles and choose to play at South Carolina because well he has some family money, but ahem never played.

in 2013, Ripken transferred to Indian River Community College, and in July 2014 the 6 foot 6 Ripken was a 15th rnd pick of the nationals, and got paid

Now to be fair he has not progressed much in the minors with a career .200 average

In Baseball you need your reps, wish we were playing him, if he wants to go MLB, they draft the JUCO's or community college guys very high, he has a lot of good options

He is not quitting because he is a quitter by any means we were not playing him and in baseball, that was wrong in my honest opinion, he needs to develop to get paid, and needs to play

From what I understand, BMac had many opportunities in the scrimmages this year, but wound up going 2 for 28 and struck out 13 times. In other words, he couldn't beat out the players in front of him. That's why we weren't playing him.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
You cant really not be serious with that Brandon is a quitter BS. His reps in practice last year & spring this year are QB draws. Why would kid who is receiving NO DEVELOPMENT TRAINING stick around to be a USC back up QB. Ridiculous to think any intelligent kid would stay...!!!

I certainly don't think Brandon is a quitter per se, and like most everyone else I wish him the best of luck going forward. However, I'm not sure what you mean about "No development training". Please explain.

If he would have stayed, he would have 3 more years to get better and make a difference in football or baseball. Most college players play sparingly the first two years- then become productive/effective/reliable the last two. In the SEC you need two talented QBs ready to go at all times. Now we have one. Not a good situation.

I wish him luck but he seems to want to skip to the front of the line, instead of beating out the guys in front of him by being patient and plugging away. If he had stayed, I promise you he would have played both sports. In the next 3 years, we WILL be in a position where he's needed- and he won't be there.

Others posters are right- we lose Bentley- season over.

Reactions: RickyRooster
We werent gonna have 2 talented qb ready to play this year even if he stays.He would have had to make astonishing amount of progress this spring for that to happen.Not only did he fail to progress at qb,but apparently he showed no progress in baseball either.The last thing our teams need is more projects

Wrong, Urich is 190 pounds.

He's actually a really good passer if you watch his latest highlight video. He goes through his progressions well and makes tough non rhythmic throws.

Some of our fans enjoy undermining all of our young players...I saw Urich play 3 times in HS..He is a QB...he has a chance to play well in the SEC...He very fast and very athletic...His arm talent is above what some give him credit for...David Cutcliff at Duke knows a little bit about QB prospects...Cutcliff offered as a QB...I think Urich needs a year or 2 of development to play SEC ball..But i doubt he gets that time now..I suspect he is the 2nd best QB on the roster...
BMac punking out on us is the very reason you should sign 2 QBs per class

Reactions: GamecockJL
All I can say is that it is frustrating when you have talented guys like BMac and Nunez and they leave due to a lack of opportunity when we are lacking talent on the football team especially. It's easy to rush to judgment against the players and the coaches too IMO but it just seems the transfer option is played really quickly these days. Someone made a great point above about this would have potentially been a positive development for Nunez had he stayed in the program but now he's out too.
Just wish there was more patience - there is just an attitude that invades all of society that desires the instant gratification. You see it with the fans too sometimes when some of us lack the patience to stick it out.

I trust that Muschamp is wanting talent and character and he's not going to be running anyone off when you here him in his press conferences talking about these 2 things all the time.

Holbrook its hard too say as I don't follow baseball as closely but if what someone stated about is true about him being 2-28 in the scrimmages then I can see why the other guys were getting their chances out of the gate, even if they are struggling some. His time may have come but who knows, he wasn't willing to wait for it and that's his decision.

He's been nothing but high character from what I've seen and certainly wish him the best as it seems we all do.

I wish him the best. Boom is rolling the dice here, I know it is the young man's call but we have NOTHING if Jake goes down. Could he have convinced him to stay? Who knows, thank goodness Jake is a tough kid.

Strange things happen in this game of football. History shows time after time those who stay the course end up getting playing time even when it appeared there was no hope for the back up. Wish he had stayed.

Sometimes kids want to only play qb

Yep. Happens a lot when kids have been told how great they are all their lives.
Sad truth is, if you couldn't earn significant playing time on our team last year. - what team will you? I mean it's not like we were great at any position.

Brandon made the logical choice in transferring. Physically, he is not suited to play QB in the SEC. Though listed at 6'1", he looks more like 5'10" on the field. Also, his decision making and long range passing skills are mediocre at best. Surely, he saw the writing on the wall in terms of not becoming the starter for the 2017 season and thereafter.

As for Lorenzo Nunez, he will never develop into being an effective passing QB at the FBS level. Lacks the skills needed to throw the short, medium, and long range passes. Technically, he is a QB suited to running the wishbone offense. Again, he made the logical choice to transfer. No need is hanging around when you will never get any playing time.

Looking at these two busts, it makes any Gamecock fan wonder what the heck the previous coaching was doing in terms of talent evaluation? The staggering number of busts from the late Spurrier recruiting era in alarmingly mind blowing!!!

Yep. Happens a lot when kids have been told how great they are all their lives.
Sad truth is, if you couldn't earn significant playing time on our team last year. - what team will you? I mean it's not like we were great at any position.
Maybe he just wants to go to a program that fits his skill set much better....similar to Aikman transferring from OU to UCLA after his sophomore year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT