ADVERTISEMENT

Have we turned the corner in Football?

I was at that game in Lexington (2010). Carolina jumped out to a 14-0 lead and looked to be on cruise control, before UK made some big plays to get back in it. Garcia had a dismal 2nd half as I recall and the defense couldn't get off the field.

Lattimore getting hurt didn't help. He was shredding them.

I think maybe yes. If we get past UGA in game two, look out !! We match up much better with them this year. We are due to not get so much injury bug this year, hopefully. We should run the SEC table after we play UGA and then comes our match with the Pickens County flashes. Once again, barring key injuries, we should hold our own. I also predict that Muschamp and staff will out recruit Dabo this year and the years to follow. Would love to see the real Dabo personality when Champ starts kicking his arrogant ass.
If even half of your pie in the sky predictions would come through, I'd be the happiest Gamecock fan in the Southeast.

Reactions: jonesz21
We have certainly improved since Muschamp took over what was a dumpster fire. Turned the corner? Depends on what corner you are talking about. Turned the corner on getting better? Yes. Turned the corner on being a viable player in the SEC, or national stage? I think we need to wait until we can beat Kentucky on a consistent basis before we approach that corner.

Depends on the corner. We’ve turned the corner for being above .500, playing in a crap/no bowl.

Competing for a championship....were closing the gap but we’re not close enough yet. Given where we are I’m very satisfied with our football progress.
This is the correct answer. We are out of the hole the previous staff left us in, but now we need to start climbing the mountain.

I was at that game in Lexington (2010). Carolina jumped out to a 14-0 lead and looked to be on cruise control, before UK made some big plays to get back in it. Garcia had a dismal 2nd half as I recall and the defense couldn't get off the field.

Regarding the program "turning the corner"... the problem with thinking of progress angularly, is that turning the corner inevitably leads to a plateau. I like the wheel concept. It takes a lot of toil and effort to get that big wheel turning, but once it does, its hard to stop. Momentum builds upon itself. Success leads to better recruiting, and better recruiting leads to greater success. And the wheel turns faster.

I think CWM and staff have picked up a lot of momentum on that big wheel, and I expect it to turn faster in 2018.
Marcus left the game with an injury as well, which was huge. He scored 12 of the 14 pts you referenced.

Marcus left the game with an injury as well, which was huge. He scored 12 of the 14 pts you referenced.
I thought that game really turned on the dropped pass down-field right before halftime. I forget who failed to come up with it. I truly believed we would have finished knocking them out had that not occurred.

Yes....No.....Maybe.....

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: jonesz21
@king ward you are one of the more pessimistic folks roaming about here. Not much hopefulness from your perspective, it seems. And you appear to be around the same age as I, so I've seen what you've seen. Lighten up, man.
The bright side is, if it wasn't for the naysayers, I would think I was on the wrong discussion board.

When we go at least 11-2 and are in the hunt for the SEC title, we will have turned the corner.

Think of it this way. To make the playoff, we have to win all, but 1 game on our schedule. That means beating at least 1 of 2 top 4 teams on our schedule (GA and/or Clemson) plus all the rest, including the SEC Championship game, and a major bowl game.

Going forward, if GA remains in the upper echelon of college football, it will likely be more beneficial for us to beat GA than Clemson. Why? Because I don’t envision any scenario where we get in the playoff without winning the SEC Championship game. That means we will likely have to beat GA to win the SEC East in order to make the playoff. It’s possible losing to Clemson would not keep us out of the playoff if we win all the others, including GA. Only Bama can get beat like they did vs Auburn, and win the NC without even winning a division or conference title. They have now won 2 NC’s like that.

Reactions: lakeworld
I agree with wallycock... UGA is must win if we have hopes of winning SEC East.

In saying that, I feel the team will turn the corner when we are able to put in the backups in the 3rd and 4th quarter of games we should easily win. Bentley took a ton of snaps last year because we just couldn't put anyone away. Louisiana Tech game being an example. A top program puts them away by halftime.

Also, the team turns the corner when they dictate to the other team they are playing how the game is going to be played. The offense has an identity and the D is just solid. It doesn't matter if Clemson is the opponent or Coastal Carolina, line up and whip their ass. That is what i want to see...

Reactions: wallycock
Why declare that turning the corner for the program has to put us in the playoff picture or something? Why not think of it as a 8th place recruiting class or the elite players now looking at us? We haven't exactly arrived all together but we have turned the corner heading in that direction.

Georgia is a huge game, but to say we run the table if we beat them, is a little premature.

We turn a corner when we beat Kentucky, I hate to be a Debbie downer, but we need to beat those fools in their house this year.
we got to finally beat A&M too then it's on to the orange people to make smoothies .

I think maybe yes. If we get past UGA in game two, look out !! We match up much better with them this year. We are due to not get so much injury bug this year, hopefully. We should run the SEC table after we play UGA and then comes our match with the Pickens County flashes. Once again, barring key injuries, we should hold our own. I also predict that Muschamp and staff will out recruit Dabo this year and the years to follow. Would love to see the real Dabo personality when Champ starts kicking his arrogant ass.

Define “the corner.”

We’re improving, and headed in the right direction. Bright horizons ahead. But, no........not there yet.

What we mainly showed is that we don't quit and that Michigan needed a quarterback. It was great to get the win, but that was an 8-5 team. We have to prove a lot more than we proved against them.
A new OC and QB coach can make a big difference as we hopefully will see this fall.

We have made it to the corner but i don't know if we have turned it yet.

Regarding the program "turning the corner"... the problem with thinking of progress angularly, is that turning the corner inevitably leads to a plateau. I like the wheel concept. It takes a lot of toil and effort to get that big wheel turning, but once it does, its hard to stop. Momentum builds upon itself. Success leads to better recruiting, and better recruiting leads to greater success. And the wheel turns faster.

I think CWM and staff have picked up a lot of momentum on that big wheel, and I expect it to turn faster in 2018.
The entire complexion of that game changed when Lattimore got injured. The same thing happened in the Peach Bowl. We didn't seem to be confident enough on offense to be able to play without Marcus.

Reactions: GandBinNC
None of that means we have turned the corner. They were in disarray before we ever played them.
They were probably still the best team we beat last season. Going into that game I don't think anyone outside of SC picked us to win. What I liked about that game is that we made adjustments on offense at halftime and came out with a much better performance in the 2nd half. We were a decent team last season, better than the year before and expected to be better still this season. We could be a better team and end up with a worse record depending on how much better our opponents have gotten. I'm looking forward to this season and seeing even more progress. It's a whole lot better than when I was growing up and winning seasons were not that often.

Reactions: king ward
They were probably still the best team we beat last season. Going into that game I don't think anyone outside of SC picked us to win. What I liked about that game is that we made adjustments on offense at halftime and came out with a much better performance in the 2nd half. We were a decent team last season, better than the year before and expected to be better still this season. We could be a better team and end up with a worse record depending on how much better our opponents have gotten. I'm looking forward to this season and seeing even more progress. It's a whole lot better than when I was growing up and winning seasons were not that often.
Continuity on offense. We've got to acquire it.

Why declare that turning the corner for the program has to put us in the playoff picture or something? Why not think of it as a 8th place recruiting class or the elite players now looking at us? We haven't exactly arrived all together but we have turned the corner heading in that direction.
This is right

We turned the corner. Now we have 400 mile of interstate to cover. But we are on the freeway

I don't think we need to worry about "getting by" Georgia until we can "get by" Kentucky. Georgia probably should have won the national championship last year...so they will be a big favorite over us. I'm more worried about finally ending the Kentucky streak. And running the table is not just a bit premature...it's VERY premature. I'm a Gamecock fan...but also a realist.

Reactions: rogue cock
I am not ready to say we have turned the corner. But if this staff stays together, we will soon IMHO.
Fully AGREE!

Depends on the corner. Hopefully from here on out USC fans can start expecting to be more than a .500 team and going to a decent bowl.
The new baseline should be 8-4 or better... South Carolina has moved into the next tier level of SEC TEAMS.

From all inside indications, I expect a nice improvement this year! :)

Fully AGREE!

Depends on the corner. Hopefully from here on out USC fans can start expecting to be more than a .500 team and going to a decent bowl.
The new baseline should be 8-4 or better... South Carolina has moved into the next tier level of SEC TEAMS.

From all inside indications, I expect a nice improvement this year! :)
I think a good indicator would be beating all the emergent teams - UK, UT, UF, and a rebuilding one we play at home, A&M. We HAVE to win all those games, in my opinion. We have to avoid the letdown that results in an upset loss to anybody. Then, if we were to pick off UGA or UPC, that would be gravy. Another loss to UK would be poison.

Reactions: funktavious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT