ADVERTISEMENT

Have you given up your (season) tickets?

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
There is a lot of outrage here, but I wonder how much real action to reflect frustration. One way to measure is long term ticket buys.

For my part, we gave up our eight season tickets for football in 2016. We had them since the early '80s. Folks continually dropped out of going and when I could not sell them or give them away I finally said enough. I still go with a friend....for free in club level...lol...and will be there Saturday. We gave up men's basketball tickets we had some time back. I get the men's mobile pass and was somewhat excited after two games. Should have bought women's tickets. I sincerely hope some of the young men I helped support have much better lives because of their education. Generally, that's the best thing to come out of my donations.

BTW...we still have our Gamecock Club membership but we went to Century level, keeping any membership was a sort of a "cry for help."

My heart is breaking and I’d rather not comment.

See you Saturday though

I will probably set a personal record for ladies Basketball games this year, and my previous best was already double digits
Maybe we will pass each other going out of the stadium middle of the second quarter.

Reactions: redrogers
I graduated USC in 2001 (hence the USC01 name)—after that time I joined the GCC as a Roundhouse level member. A few years later (2005) I bumped up to a Full Scholarship member and was at that level, until our dumbass AD decided that Will Muschamp was the best thing available (there were no other coaches out there at all apparently on this planet) after having a two month head start on the process and paying a “search firm” $100,000 for their input. I dropped my membership then as I wasn’t going to give my hard earned $ to that program if they were going to hire a “retread” head coach who couldn’t even win at Florida!?!?! We were all warned (by Florida fans and by the national media what will probably happen with this hire—which it has—and now we are in this ridiculous position after year 4 (just like he was at Florida). Only difference is, our idiotic AD and BOT has boxed us in to this mess with the horrible decision to have a massive buyout that we can’t do anything. I will NEVER give $ to this program again (I’ve realized that I can always get tickets from friends/colleagues if I need to instead of paying over $2,000 and up for my membership) These guys are more concerned with a $22 million east side lodge seating upgrades than the actual product on the field. Ridiculous.

This season will be my last as a season ticket holder (since 1984 graduation). I will continue to be a scholarship donor, but unless REAL changes are made after Saturday, I am done. Technically, I guess I'm already done - we're going to Columbia on Saturday to tailgate with friends and family, but my tickets are already listed on the Gamecock Club resale site

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It is always darkest just before the dawn. Unfortunately there will need to be one more year of this mess before Ray (or his replacement) can get out of this screwup.

I guess there is still the possibility that they could cut bait after the likely embarrassment this coming Saturday. Although at this point i think they look so inept w/ all the comments and clarifications that they will likely just stand pat.

The questions is, who de we hire next. We will need to take a chance on someone at the lower ranks. We can do so and pay a lesser salary with a small buy out that gives us wiggle room. Show progress and you will be rewarded.

A Satterfield type hire, or the bball guy from Wofford that went to VaTech and beat Michigan State. There are guys who know how to coach, can bring life and hope to the program.

There is a lot of outrage here, but I wonder how much real action to reflect frustration. One way to measure is long term ticket buys.

For my part, we gave up our eight season tickets for football in 2016. We had them since the early '80s. Folks continually dropped out of going and when I could not sell them or give them away I finally said enough. I still go with a friend....for free in club level...lol...and will be there Saturday. We gave up men's basketball tickets we had some time back. I get the men's mobile pass and was somewhat excited after two games. Should have bought women's tickets. I sincerely hope some of the young men I helped support have much better lives because of their education. Generally, that's the best thing to come out of my donations.

BTW...we still have our Gamecock Club membership but we went to Century level, keeping any membership was a sort of a "cry for help."

I gave my season tickets up after the uva game and withdrew from the Gamecock club. I won’t contribute to this mismanagement. All is political and good ole boy cronyism at USC. There is no motivation to win. I assume we will sell our slot at stadium place if anyone is interested. Starve them of $. That’s the only way.

Reactions: redrogers
I love gamecock football but I would never buy season tickets. That’s too much money that should be going in my IRA. Plus, I like watching on TV so much more than that headache of traffic, waiting around and terrible food. It’s fun being at the game if you’re not near a loud mouth moron, but not so fun that I will shell out a hundred bucks and lose a whole saturday.

This is our second straight year without season football tickets....just tired of the same old crap year in and year out. It just ain't worth it anymore.

Had the discussion yesterday. Not going to make a decision until the sting of App State loss and another Clemson beating wears off.

I disagree. The one thing they do care about is money. Fans have always shown up no matter what

And that is the key. USC fans have always shown up in the hopes of better days ahead. But that same fan base doesnt demand those better days with their pocket books. And many on this forum almost act like it is a church team that demands your undying support no matter the condition of the program. But look at Clemson. Nobody has a more loyal fan base. But remember Hatfields third year when the fans got frustrated? They played Wake and had about 30k in the place. That fan base demanded more and showed it with their absence. Clemson made another mistake with Tommy West and went through the same thing again. The Clemson folks demand change. The USC fan base needs to take a page out of their book. Trust me. The checkbook of the fan base is much more powerful than Muschamps buyout.

This is the first year since I was five (33 year now) that I did not attend a home game, and my family has been season ticket holders the whole time... actually looked forward to Saturdays (and have tried to get my parents to stop buying season tickets- but Pops has only missed one game in 28 years)...
My girlfriend and I will probably watch the game somewhere, but we will not be in the stands on Saturday. I will support the players from afar, but will not give money to a piss poor athletic department ran by idiots.

Had the discussion yesterday. Not going to make a decision until the sting of App State loss and another Clemson beating wears off.
You'll be keeping them. That's your business. My season tickets went away a long time ago. But if you keep putting off the decision until you have recovered from some terrible loss, you will never pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
It’s a new generation that are the major donors, and they are starting to ask questions. In the 70s, 80s , and 90s monies were handed over blindly. I don’t believe WM is safe, unless wholesale changes are made. As long as Thomas Brown is safe, then devil-may-care in my book...this includes S&C.

During our days as an independent, during the annual meeting of high school coaches in Columbia, I was able to pick up season tickets at a buy one get one free rate the day they went on sale to the public... as did all coaches. About the time we joined the SEC, it was found or became (I don't remember which) an NCAA violation. I kept buying tickets a few more years until my kids' travelball made it impossible to go anymore. Enjoyed the time I did, but I'm also enjoying it now that i don't.

Gave up my Gamecock Club Full Scholarship and Zone seats (original Zone seat owner). The very day Muschamp was hired.

Problem is ... and I hate to say it , People go because there’s not a damn thing to do in Columbia SC on Sat . That’s what I keep hearing from all my buddy’s still in Cola . If this school was located in Tampa , Atlanta , Miami , heck even Charleston it would be tumbleweeds . Since I’m in Florida the last game I attended was 2013 but I can say I only watched about 5 games this year which is crazy . I’ll be hunting this weekend so won’t be watching Sat for probably the first time is 30 years . I’m not one of this “ Not gonna ever watch” guys , honestly I just won’t care that much . Not really angry just kinda to that point i was in the 90s where I would watch but it was way down the priority list

Reactions: Robhawk29
The number of people who feel the need to come on this board and tell us they're giving up their season tickets is very small relative to the number of fans who come to the games.

Truth is, those of you who are so willing to give up your tickets when the team is down are not the die hard fans that sit in the majority of seats in Willie Brice. Die hard Gamecock fans attend football games for the experience. We love the school and the game. It goes without saying it's best when the Gamecocks win, but if we lose, we deal with it. Honestly, you're not going to sway a long time, die hard Gamecock fan to give up their tickets easily. Reading the woe is me posts from the band wagon jumpers is really a drag. Winning is great, but the real fans understand there's a lot going on around the stadium on game day that makes this place special. We'll all be here when you come back, God willing.

I need to add...It's pretty narcissistic to think your empty seat is going to make a difference. It'd be cool if you'd hold on to your tickets, but someone else will come along and buy them.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving!

The number of people who feel the need to come on this board and tell us they're giving up their season tickets is very small relative to the number of fans who come to the games.

Truth is, those of you who are so willing to give up your tickets when the team is down are not the die hard fans that sit in the majority of seats in Willie Brice. Die hard Gamecock fans attend football games for the experience. We love the school and the game. It goes without saying it's best when the Gamecocks win, but if we lose, we deal with it. Honestly, you're not going to sway a long time, die hard Gamecock fan to give up their tickets easily. Reading the woe is me posts from the band wagon jumpers is really a drag. Winning is great, but the real fans understand there's a lot going on around the stadium on game day that makes this place special. We'll all be here when you come back, God willing.

I need to add...It's pretty narcissistic to think your empty seat is going to make a difference. It'd be cool if you'd hold on to your tickets, but someone else will come along and buy them.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving!
Intent of the post was not to sway anybody to give up tickets, rather to guage how much folks who are seriously interested in the program are acting on their frustrations. Yeah, this is a very small sample, but reflects people who seriously follow the gameplay. As for folks not being die hard fans if they give up tickets after 37 years, but still go to games, you can't be serious. I get it, you enjoy the social aspects, so have we for half a century. It would be nice to have some football with it. Don't denigrate fans of any kind, even those who never go to a game or can't afford to spend the money. And btw, there would be no "experience" if there were no games. And if the games don't get better, you and your die hard elite fans will be getting pretty lonely out there.

Problem is ... and I hate to say it , People go because there’s not a damn thing to do in Columbia SC on Sat . That’s what I keep hearing from all my buddy’s still in Cola . If this school was located in Tampa , Atlanta , Miami , heck even Charleston it would be tumbleweeds .
That's a pretty BS response, in my opinion. You dont exactly have to live in one of the world's major cities to find something to do for 7 Saturdays in the fall. Your friends must lead some pretty freaking boring lives if they are just watching us lose to App State because they had nothing better to do with their time.

This will be my last year for both season tickets and as a Full Scholarship donor.And I let them know why.Being a Gamecock fan has been a tough journey,with many lows and fewer highs.But this year was the proverbial straw, although I admit last year's Bowl game got me close.

Incompetence is rife throughout the Athletic program,from Tanner down to Muschamp and his Coordinators.Frank Martin's stint as Head Coach of our men's Basketball team has been poor to middling with one very bright season.Our baseball program is going downhill.And General Caslen's handling of the Tanner/Muschamp situation was disheartening at best.They say hope springs eternal,and my hope is that if enough of us act on our dissatisfaction and the bottom line is impacted,perhaps the University will respond and take action.In the meantime I will watch from home and spend my money on things that give me happier returns.

And pumpers-There is no sunshine!

This is a sad thread but understandable. I'm just about to the point where I don't care.

BTW, was in WM Mon wearing my camoflauge GC cap and a worker said that I needed to be wearing a Clemson cap and I agreed with him. That's how far we have fallen.

If something isn't done about the mismanagement of Ray and the HFBC I will have almost zero interest next year.

Problem is ... and I hate to say it , People go because there’s not a damn thing to do in Columbia SC on Sat . That’s what I keep hearing from all my buddy’s still in Cola . If this school was located in Tampa , Atlanta , Miami , heck even Charleston it would be tumbleweeds . Since I’m in Florida the last game I attended was 2013 but I can say I only watched about 5 games this year which is crazy . I’ll be hunting this weekend so won’t be watching Sat for probably the first time is 30 years . I’m not one of this “ Not gonna ever watch” guys , honestly I just won’t care that much . Not really angry just kinda to that point i was in the 90s where I would watch but it was way down the priority list
There is plenty to do on Saturdays in Columbia, not involving football.
The population of the greater metropolitan area of Columbia (which includes WC, Lexington, Irmo, Blythewood) is over 780,000. Williams Brice only seats 80,250. 700,000 people can find other things to do any given Saturday.
Your friends just don't bother looking.

That's a pretty BS response, in my opinion. You dont exactly have to live in one of the world's major cities to find something to do for 7 Saturdays in the fall. Your friends must lead some pretty freaking boring lives if they are just watching us lose to App State because they had nothing better to do with their time.

Sorry that’s what I’m hearing from a large majority of folks back home . I even saw a few posts on this thread indicating the same . I spent quite a few years in Columbia and loved it but I spent 60% of my time at work and 35% on Lake Murray fishing. Gotta leave at least 5% for family right ??

Here’s the real question ??? How many people that swear they are done will still be sitting in WB on opening day 2020 . Heard this all before . We are like Heroine junkies .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT