ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski is QB2 - Dak given the day off...

All players want and all fans seem to expect microwave success nowadays. Dak should not only stick it out, but stick it out at QB. Strange things happen in football. Not too long ago Brandon Wilds was fifth on the depth chart to start a season and we ended up depending on him a lot in one of our 11 win seasons. Even if he doesn't play this year, he stands a good chance to be the No.2 guy as a redshirt sophomore and in a position to get snaps in packages made for him. May even get a look at starting if Hilinski struggles or misses time. People shouldn't assume that Doty will be ahead of Joyner. Joyner will have two years in the program and will have created some equity with the coaches for sticking with it. We should all just support the kid in what he wants. If he wants to remain at QB, people need to stop asking questions about changing positions. If he wants to change positions, we should be fine with that too. He will have a learning curve either way it goes. So, he just needs to do what he feels is best and keep working.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Couple thoughts-

-I think it's likely that Dak ultimately transfers. Kid wants to play QB, and with Hilinski taking #2 this year and Doty in the wings, he may never get that shot here.
-He's clearly an incredible athlete. Every school in the country wanted him as an ATH but not many wanted him as a QB. Wish we could keep him around as a swiss army knife type player, but doesn't sound like that's an option.
-I'm kind of relieved that Hilinski has established himself as QB2. No offense to Dak, but like I said.. no big time schools recruited him as a QB. If Hilinski is the real deal (which we are all hoping he is), he should come in and beat out someone like that.
Baylor loves guys like Dak.

What about # 3?

3. Joyer commits in July 2017, signs as part of the 2018 class, Champ signs him because he thinks he can develop into a SEC QB and eventually take over after Bentley, then in April 2018 we get a commitment from one of the top QB's in the country from California of all places, arguably our best QB commit ever in program history, and sign him and he comes in and is better then Joyner and wins the back up QB spot.

Or are you saying they knew all along when recruiting Joyner they would get a better QB prospect out of California? I don't think they or anyone thought that exactly, back in 2017.

Im not sure how Joyner losing to Hilinski means Joyner was a mis evaluation, could be Hilinski is really really good

I think you only have to look to Dak's own words as to how many teams were recruiting him as QB.

I think you only have to look to Dak's own words as to how many teams were recruiting him as QB.

Why would I look at that 2017 evals info out of HS, and base my opinion on that info when their is more recent tape of him in the 2019 spring game, and I personally liked what I saw, not saying their is not growth needed and things to improve, or he is better then Ryan, but I certainly did not come away with the opinion this guy can not play QB and this was a mistake by our staff when I evaluated 2019 Dak, I saw progress.

Baker Mayfield walked on twice and was the # 1 pick, just because a player has limited QB scholarship offers at that position out of HS is not a reason to say or base a argument on that they cant play QB at the college level.

Last edited:
All players want and all fans seem to expect microwave success nowadays. Dak should not only stick it out, but stick it out at QB. Strange things happen in football. Not too long ago Brandon Wilds was fifth on the depth chart to start a season and we ended up depending on him a lot in one of our 11 win seasons. Even if he doesn't play this year, he stands a good chance to be the No.2 guy as a redshirt sophomore and in a position to get snaps in packages made for him. May even get a look at starting if Hilinski struggles or misses time. People shouldn't assume that Doty will be ahead of Joyner. Joyner will have two years in the program and will have created some equity with the coaches for sticking with it. We should all just support the kid in what he wants. If he wants to remain at QB, people need to stop asking questions about changing positions. If he wants to change positions, we should be fine with that too. He will have a learning curve either way it goes. So, he just needs to do what he feels is best and keep working.

Yes, he could hang around an play QB and be respected for his determination. But at what cost? It appears to have been determined that a true freshman is ahead of him, so it stands to reason that he would be nothing more than a backup for his remaining years at USC. Add to that is that Doty is a fairly highly rated QB who will be here next year. Could he transfer? Sure. But where to play QB? Probably not at a major program. The fact that hardly anyone else would give him a shot at QB coming out of high school is a pretty good indication. And his situation is so different than many QBs. He is an absolutely phenomenal athlete. No guarantees, but he could have a chance at a career in the NFL. Hey, I would have loved to have been the QB in high school. But it was pointed out to me at a fairly young age that I just didn't have the required skill set. Sometimes it is time to grow up and take the best route to success.

Reactions: ddw1263

People are assuming Doty will sign which seems likely but has not happened yet and Doty will be better then Dak, could be, but if I'm Dak I want to practice side by side Doty before I make a decision based on that thought. Their has been plenty of highly regard QB's out of HS that didn't work out.

If Bentley gets hurt in 2019 and misses several games and we have a brutal schedule, could happen, and then Ryan goes in, and Dak is one play away or Hilinski struggling away, seems like half the board prefers Urich back at QB or Corbett Glick coming in, I prefer Dak.

Last edited:
Yes, he could hang around an play QB and be respected for his determination. But at what cost? It appears to have been determined that a true freshman is ahead of him, so it stands to reason that he would be nothing more than a backup for his remaining years at USC. Add to that is that Doty is a fairly highly rated QB who will be here next year. Could he transfer? Sure. But where to play QB? Probably not at a major program. The fact that hardly anyone else would give him a shot at QB coming out of high school is a pretty good indication. And his situation is so different than many QBs. He is an absolutely phenomenal athlete. No guarantees, but he could have a chance at a career in the NFL. Hey, I would have loved to have been the QB in high school. But it was pointed out to me at a fairly young age that I just didn't have the required skill set. Sometimes it is time to grow up and take the best route to success.
I get what you are saying. However, we are all speculating at this point. None of us have seen enough in the few series that he has played in the spring games and a few open practices to make a determination that he can never be a D1 QB. Lamar Jackson is a NFL starter, and if you saw him his freshman year, the thought of him being a 1st Round pick as a QB would have been comical. Further, we know nothing about Joyner's abilities at any other position. Just because a kid runs a 4.5 and has a couple juke moves doesn't make him a receiver or make him a sure tackler in the secondary. So, I think it is a little lazy evaluation-wise to say that a kid should just change positions just because he has a little athleticism. We tried that with Nunez, didn't work. We are already trying that with Urich and it looks like he won't see the field as he still has a learning curve. Joyner has always been a QB as far as I know. Hasn't played another position ever. So, it seems to me that his athleticism is being used against him so he can just move out of the way for others. If the kid wants to hang in there and work, he should be afforded that opportunity.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT