ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Shawn Elliott for the Head Coaching Job

Greenwood97

Oct 11, 2003
Shawn Elliott will out recruit any other coach that is available right now. He will get the main recruits in the state to play for Carolina instead of Clemson. Shawn Elliott cares about the Gamecock Tradition here in the state. He will bring the passion and excitement back to Willy B. Shawn cares for the players and University. He is committed to the program so you won't see him leave anytime soon. At least give him a year or two contract to prove people wrong.

Shawn Elliott will out recruit any other coach that is available right now. He will get the main recruits in the state to play for Carolina instead of Clemson. Shawn Elliott cares about the Gamecock Tradition here in the state. He will bring the passion and excitement back to Willy B. Shawn cares for the players and University. He is committed to the program so you won't see him leave anytime soon. At least give him a year or two contract to prove people wrong.
readImage

Too big of a risk. And I don't understand why I keep hearing this 2 year contract business. That's just not done in this industry. No coach can recruit with less than 4 years remaining on their contract. Remember SOS's 2-3 years comment?

Reactions: atl-cock
If Les Miles is willing and available and we keep Elliott.......Tanner probably needs to go.

There's a reason Clemson fans want us to hire Elliot. Think about that for a second. You don't see Jeff Scott calling him up to talk trash about USC do you?

Reactions: Lakecock1
Shawn is that u? Go cocks

Miles is obviously the 'real' deal, he certainly got it done at OK State and LSU ... but if Tanner selects Coach Elliott I'll support him and hope he turns us around. If he doesn't he'll know he was given a fair shot but I don't think would howl if he doesn't win and gets replaced down the line.

I just hope if that IS the selection he's not crucified before HIS team even takes the field.

I know for a fact what I've seen on the field has been much better since Elliott took over ... we're simply lacking a few ponies. NOBODY can 'win' w/o studs given the competition we face week-in and week-out.

QUICK QUIZ: Before Connor Shaw WHO was the last South Carolina QB to start a regular season NFL game?

Reactions: cemani
Miles is obviously the 'real' deal, he certainly got it done at OK State and LSU ... but if Tanner selects Coach Elliott I'll support him and hope he turns us around. If he doesn't he'll know he was given a fair shot but I don't think would howl if he doesn't win and gets replaced down the line.

I just hope if that IS the selection he's not crucified before HIS team even takes the field.

I know for a fact what I've seen on the field has been much better since Elliott took over ... we're simply lacking a few ponies. NOBODY can 'win' w/o studs given the competition we face week-in and week-out.

QUICK QUIZ: Before Connor Shaw WHO was the last South Carolina QB to start a regular season NFL game?
We're lacking more than just a few players my friend. We lack size, speed and strength all across the board. Elliot has been given more of a chance than any coach we will interview, he couldn't have asked for more. If he was any sort of coach he'd have this team playing ALL 4 quarters, not a half or half of a quarter.

If he could recruit like that, he should have started several years ago.

The only, and I mean ONLY, support I could give Elliott in response to this is the man running the show in Columbia at the time didn't make recruiting his highest priority. I don't know how that affects the coaches around you, but I would imagine it would to some degree. Elliott would be in charge and could appoint someone as the recruiting coordinator who is right for the job, instead of someone who says that that is not really who they are, but you have to changed some things in order to be the recruiting coordinator. Who knows what Elliott could get done if he was the man in charge for a few years? He obviously has much more desire for the program than most coaches. Does that equate into being hired as our next coach........probably not.

Reactions: gamecock ed
If he could recruit like that, he should have started several years ago.
The only, and I mean ONLY, support I could give Elliott in response to this is the man running the show in Columbia at the time didn't make recruiting his highest priority. I don't know how that affects the coaches around you, but I would imagine it would to some degree. Elliott would be in charge and could appoint someone as the recruiting coordinator who is right for the job, instead of someone who says that that is not really who they are, but you have to changed some things in order to be the recruiting coordinator. Who knows what Elliott could get done if he was the man in charge for a few years? He obviously has much more desire for the program than most coaches. Does that equate into being hired as our next coach........probably not.
True. But the counter to that argument is that another coach regardless of the attitude of the HC continued to recruit at a pretty high level. Mangus continued to have us in the game with top recruits...he didn't take Spurrier's attitude toward recruiting and adopt it.

....you wouldn't want Les Miles?

Wow.
Less Miles is no coaching genius. If he were, they would have been more balanced on offense than they have been during his tenure. He's made his bones by being a great recruiter and that is largely due to where he is coaching. He couldn't do it here. This is a job for an aggressive, young, roll-up-you-sleeves kind of guy. All the top names you've been hearing fit that description better than Less, who has the advantage of being at LSU. [My spelling of his first name is intentional.]

Reactions: CockPete

Anthony Wright was the last starting QB before Connor Shaw.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
We have two 2 stars and one three star offensive lineman committed. That is all Shawn Elliott's responsibility. You can't blame that on Spurrier. If he was a great coach he would have made lemonade out of lemon's. You make the best out of the situation you have. He did, but it wasn't good enough....

Elliott was part of the problem. So suddenly he's this great recruiter? Laughable. He had years to make a mark. Also, his O lines didn't set the world on fire. He should thank Connor Shaw every night for helping that O line look better than it was. Great recruiter, great coach? I'll pass.

^^^^^^ I think that I must have a fever....I am reading a post by SportsSuite and it makes a great deal of sense. Yep, I must be coming down with something.

Reactions: Tenn"cock
Anthony Wright was the last starting QB before Connor Shaw.

Bingo! Started every game in '98 ... we went 1-10 yet AW's the ONLY SC QB other than Shaw to EVER play in the NFL ... 10-year career, Super Bowl Champ in '07-'08 with the Giants as a backup to Eli ... we NEED some 'ponies' to play with the big boys.

Mitch or Nunez have barely seen the field when they clearly should have. Now we wait until the season is a wash before giving them playing time? I still can't believe some think Elliott should stay as HC. Must be a joke thread

Bill Troup started in the NFL. Dan Reeves too (not at QB).

I knew Reeves didn't play QB and completely forgot about Troup ... that whole late 60's early 70's 'era' for me was a kinda blur that included Suggs, Bass and Grantz. I stand corrected. We ARE QB-U!!! for the NFL!!!

Mitch or Nunez have barely seen the field when they clearly should have. Now we wait until the season is a wash before giving them playing time? I still can't believe some think Elliott should stay as HC. Must be a joke thread
Do you really believe the staff plays Orth because they have something against the other two? Mitch is scared and Nunez can't throw.....but clearly they should both be playing over the guy who has really, if you look at it, done an admirable job in some hostile environments.

Do you really believe the staff plays Orth because they have something against the other two? Mitch is scared and Nunez can't throw.....but clearly they should both be playing over the guy who has really, if you look at it, done an admirable job in some hostile environments.
Yes I agree with that but vs Florida they could have mixed it up some. Orth was clearly rattled & took far too many sacks through 3 1/2 quarters. Not sayimg a change in QB would have made the outcome any different but we could have tried something.

Mitch hasn't played because he has been injured up until a week or two ago.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Mitch hasn't played because he has been injured up until a week or two ago.
That was a nasty hip pointer that he had. I still believe Mitch will be the front runner next year for the QB job. Just don't see Mcllwain starting as a freshman or Nunez being a good enough passer.

Nope. With all the talent he has he should have won multiple NC. He is also a terrible game manager.

That is the dumbest statement from an armchair coach I've ever heard. Les deserves a spot in the HOF probably more so than Steve does!

Did baboons learn to type or something? Where are you people coming from?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT