ADVERTISEMENT

Horns and Sooners are happening. So who for the other 2?

It's all about market and viewers. NC St or UNC would be good become of the huge Raleigh Durham area has thousands upon thousands of ST-UNC graduates that would be enticing to cable companies that would benefit the SEC, but that probably not going to happen because of the buyout those schools would have to pay, Clemson brings absolutely nothing other than a major football team, would also cost them a bundle to leave.

See, this post is the reason why all the snakes that have rurnt college football need to be hung...or is it hanged? A&M wants to keep Texas out of the SEC for it's own advantage, and probably spite. BattleshipTexas calls A&M "cowardly," even though he knows it isn't true. But he hates A&M, so he says it anyway. Hate like that needs to be playing one another every year, but no...idiots and their empty headed cheerleaders had to bring in A&M and Mizzou to the SEC. It's not right. Texas and Texas A&M should've been forced to stay in the same conference and kill each other, like a Cobra and mongoose in a cage.
It helps to be hung ...

I think the SEC should throw a life jacket to Oklahoma State. SEC is going to be partly responsible of wrecking the Big 12.

I wonder if the SEC has been talking with other universities in last six months and it is top secret and will be leaked at the right time?

Its been widely reported A&M is the only possible no vote and even that is unlikely. The announcement today from OU and UT shows this is a done deal.
No no votes. All yes.

Clempson is in an uncomfortable position : Dabo dominates the ACC . Wont happen in the SEC & he will not get 7 or 8 Home games . But , if offered & not taken , Clempson finds itself paddling upstream without a paddle . Dabo will jump to NFL - God help them . Clempson stays ?....UNC goes WVU goes VT goes Tx Tech . ACC gets even weaker . FSU &/or Miami - maybe . Two highest population in the South : Florida & Texas . FSU & Texas become second team in state . Clempson lost out a long time ago when USC got out of the ACC - otherwise called the North Carolina conference . Need to add another team from Florida & Texas to dominate the TV market .

I think the SEC would opt for new markets. Yes, the state of Texas is not a new market. But, with all due respect to Texas A&M, the Texas Longhorns are the flagship university in that state. There's a reason why they were able to develop their own network.

I believe that the SEC would turn back flips to get North Carolina in if they could, not only because they would bring in a big, new market but also because it would bolster the SEC basketball portfolio. But, I think that's nearly impossible because the Big 4 in that state are tied to each other. I think if the SEC could get Virginia Tech to get the DC market, they would. But, that might be nearly impossible, politically. Maybe if somehow North Carolina and Virginia moved to the Big 10, then the SEC could bring in NC State and Virginia Tech. West Virginia might be an option because they might be able to bring in viewers from the state of Pennsylvania. Thus, there's no easy answer. I'm just speculating. I know little and claim less.

Reactions: vehemon
If those two join, leaving a NC hole in the footprint would be weird.
I would think it would be more likely that NC State and VT to join before WVU and VT.

Or maybe some other weird combination like Clempson and NC State or FSU and Wake Forest.

App State has a better chance to join the SEC than WVU simply because of location.
I don't think the NC hole would be weird enough to warrant taking App. St. My goodness, this is the SEC we're talking about. I agree that NC State would be a logical candidate, but they ain't leaving the ACC. Honestly, I think VT is a longshot as well because I just don't think any ACC teams will leave the conference, but of those that make geographic sense for the SEC, VT is probably the most likely to leave.

I think it would be a mistake to discount WVU simply because they are located in a poor state with a relatively small population. Having lived in the DC region, I can tell you, WVU casts a much larger shadow than I'd ever expect. WVU seems to be the only candidate who makes some geographic sense for the SEC, gains new TV markets (including Pittsburgh and DC), and isn't already in one of the Power-4 conferences (obviously, the Big XII is going to be scavenged).

Clempson is in an uncomfortable position : Dabo dominates the ACC . Wont happen in the SEC & he will not get 7 or 8 Home games . But , if offered & not taken , Clempson finds itself paddling upstream without a paddle . Dabo will jump to NFL - God help them . Clempson stays ?....UNC goes WVU goes VT goes Tx Tech . ACC gets even weaker . FSU &/or Miami - maybe . Two highest population in the South : Florida & Texas . FSU & Texas become second team in state . Clempson lost out a long time ago when USC got out of the ACC - otherwise called the North Carolina conference . Need to add another team from Florida & Texas to dominate the TV market .
We don't need to add another TX school or FL school.....A&M covers the state of TX just fine and UF has alumni all over the state of FL...I say get a NC and Virginia school to control more of a market share....

I don't think the NC hole would be weird enough to warrant taking App. St. My goodness, this is the SEC we're talking about. I agree that NC State would be a logical candidate, but they ain't leaving the ACC. Honestly, I think VT is a longshot as well because I just don't think any ACC teams will leave the conference, but of those that make geographic sense for the SEC, VT is probably the most likely to leave.

I think it would be a mistake to discount WVU simply because they are located in a poor state with a relatively small population. Having lived in the DC region, I can tell you, WVU casts a much larger shadow than I'd ever expect. WVU seems to be the only candidate who makes some geographic sense for the SEC, gains new TV markets (including Pittsburgh and DC), and isn't already in one of the Power-4 conferences (obviously, the Big XII is going to be scavenged).
Does WVU really bring in Pittsburgh and DC? I was looking at some teams revenues earlier and Wake Forest has a larger football revenue than West Virginia.

Does WVU really bring in Pittsburgh and DC? I was looking at some teams revenues earlier and Wake Forest has a larger football revenue than West Virginia.
UNC won't go anywhere without Duke...so I don't see UNC as an option.

Virginia and Tech are tied at the hip....

To make a dent in the ACC which should also be the goal...that being said, maybe we go after NC State and WVU...

WVU is a problem for any conference due to their terrible academic standing...

I've always said and will continue to say till I'm blue in the face...we need NCSU & Va Tech....

Looks more and more like the league is trying to go beyond 16.

I am sure there are lots of options but who would you rather see?

Louisville and Clempson?
This made me throw up in my mouth a little. It's been less than a decade since the ACC invited Loserville to junk up their neighborhood.

Those of you that may have friends that are close to or knowledgeable of the ACC, ask them how they honestly feel about UofLOL being in the ACC now?

There's no guarantee those 2 schools get in. A&M voting no, rumor has it Mizzou voting no, and I can see Arkansas voting no. Just need one more and it's blocked. Yes money is huge but A&M, Mizzou, and Ark came to the SEC to get out from under Texas' shadow.
It’s always about the money.

I would be surprised if any other school in either SC, FL, GA, or perhaps even KY make it into the SEC. One, whatever markets those schools bring to the table are already ON the table.

Two, the remaining top programs in those states already have other in-state programs in the conference, who will not want to share the conference prosperity with those programs, when they are also in heated rivalry battles with those programs every year.

I understand we have a "gentleman's agreement" with Florida, Georgia, and perhaps even Kentucky to vote together against those other programs joining.

I do agree with getting a program from NC and VA, if possible. NC State has always seemed to be the "red-headed stepchild" of Tobacco Road, and have felt disrespected by the ACC over the decades. Perhaps they may choose to leave. WVU has jumped all over the place, as has Virginia Tech, so neither program has longstanding historical rivalries with their current conference foes. They all bring virgin TV viewership regions to the SEC......

I would be surprised if any other school in either SC, FL, GA, or perhaps even KY make it into the SEC. One, whatever markets those schools bring to the table are already ON the table.

Two, the remaining top programs in those states already have other in-state programs in the conference, who will not want to share the conference prosperity with those programs, when they are also in heated rivalry battles with those programs every year.

I understand we have a "gentleman's agreement" with Florida, Georgia, and perhaps even Kentucky to vote together against those other programs joining.

I do agree with getting a program from NC and VA, if possible. NC State has always seemed to be the "red-headed stepchild" of Tobacco Road, and have felt disrespected by the ACC over the decades. Perhaps they may choose to leave. WVU has jumped all over the place, as has Virginia Tech, so neither program has longstanding historical rivalries with their current conference foes. They all bring virgin TV viewership regions to the SEC......
I would have never imagined all this to happen so quickly with Texas and Oklahoma.
Despite what other are saying about the high buyout to leave the ACC... I would think VT and NC State are a high possibility.

People are saying the NC schools are tied together but with the winds of change currently blowing, I wouldnt count on it. People also said OU and OK State were tied together and one would never bolt without the other and look where we are. WVU is a much better add for the ACC and they can have them.

UNC won't go anywhere without Duke...so I don't see UNC as an option.

Virginia and Tech are tied at the hip....

To make a dent in the ACC which should also be the goal...that being said, maybe we go after NC State and WVU...

WVU is a problem for any conference due to their terrible academic standing...

I've always said and will continue to say till I'm blue in the face...we need NCSU & Va Tech....
Your views about the ACC may be outdated. Most thought OU and OSU were joined at the hip too and look where we are.

I still believe if the SEC has a chance to get FSU and Clempson......no way they go after other ACC teams instead.

Why do you think the ACC will fall apart? I have not seen any evidence any member would leave. Right now it looks like it is just the B12 that is collapsing.

Because of $. Eyes in front of the TV is the reason why Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. Joining the SEC is the second step. Back when Texas A&M and Missouri left; there was talking of Texas, Oklahoma, and OSU going to the Pac12.

I don't agree with it because of how Texas A&M has been a great new member and have meld very well into the SEC. But hopefully is about forward thinking and it's better to get Texas and Oklahoma under the fold and adding to the SEC contracts than them going to the Pac12.

And without a doubt the SEC WILL eventually go beyond 16 if it makes sense to do so.
Maybe if you mean in 10 years. I'd be shocked if it's anyone but Texas and OU right now

There's no guarantee those 2 schools get in. A&M voting no, rumor has it Mizzou voting no, and I can see Arkansas voting no. Just need one more and it's blocked. Yes money is huge but A&M, Mizzou, and Ark came to the SEC to get out from under Texas' shadow.

The vote will be 14 for, 0 against.

Reactions: jerryusc
Why not just merge SEC and ACC? I don’t like it but it would fill a lot of geographic holes.

It would be funny to see an SEC school go play at App State and realize the town can't hold more than 20k people.

Yeah, probably shouldn't even put Wake Forest on the list. It m ight be NC State or bust for NC if the SEC really wanted a footprint in North Carolina. I don't see UNC leaving Duke like Oklahoma is leaving Oklahoma State.
NC State and UNC are tied to the hip. The UNC Board of Governors controls both.

NC State and Virginia make the most sense. Southern states the SEC doesn't already have teams in.
We coould've had VaTech during the last expansion but passed because they were not in a contiguous state. The state of Virginia expended a ton of political capital to get them admitted to the ACC when the Big East was collapsing. Seriously doubt that the state of Virginia is going to allow something that they worked so hard to prevent just 10 years ago.

NCSU and UNC are under the same Board of Governors....one isn't going anywhere without the other having a cushy landing spot.

It was true....until they changed Oklahoma state law after the last expansion and made the schools more independent from each other. NC did not make such changes.
I haven't read anything about a recent change in OK law. Any info you can link on that?

I have read lots on the fact that OU and OK State are governed by 2 separate higher ed systems in OK that have no control over the other.

I haven't read anything about a recent change in OK law. Any info you can link on that?

I have read lots on the fact that OU and OK State are governed by 2 separate higher ed systems in OK that have no control over the other.
I posted it in another thread on this topic. I will see if I can find it again.

Here it is though from a post further down it seems to more of a change in policy than a change in the law.

From another board:

he state of Oklahoma law is very clear on this issue.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/20...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

While realignment a decade ago would have brought Oklahoma State along with the Sooners to the Pacific Athletic Conference, a move to the SEC hold no guarantees for the Cowboys.

From the Athletic’s Jason Kersey, the two schools are governed by a separate board of regents, and the Oklahoma Legislature holds no authority to keep the schools in the same conference (subscription).

As news broke about Oklahoma’s possible desire to move to the SEC, a common misunderstanding resurfaced on social media regarding the Oklahoma state legislature and its role. The Oklahoma state legislature holds no authority regarding the athletics conference of state schools. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University are governed independently by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents and the OSU/A&M Board of Regents, respectively. – Kersey

If, and this a big if one school would leave the ACC, then Miami would be ripe for the taking.
Although with UF the SEC has presence in the state, from West Palm south UM dominates the viewership and fan interest.
They have a national brand/following and they are not exactly enamored with being in the ACC.

This does make the most sense.

Has anyone seen any leaders from these two schools recently make public statements in support of the ACC? Seems they have been pretty quiet since the UT/OU news broke.

The op question was “who you were for.”……not who is most likely. Another poster made the case that we have to play Clemson anyway, so if we went to a 9 game schedule for the conference and played Clemson from the ACC we would only be able to schedule two games a year basically. I’m kind of torn but this makes sense

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT