ADVERTISEMENT

How busy will Columbia be with the Eclipse

It's truly mind-blowing. I love to walk. One of my favorite things to do when visiting a new city is just start walking nowhere in particular. My mom is in good shape for 69, but she told me one time, "I don't like to walk." That statement dumbfounded me, but I think it may be from growing up in the first generation of suburbia when everything was built around the automobile and marketed on ease, convenience and saving time.
Walking is a good thing. I used to walk a lot while playing golf. I do so less often now. I don't mind the walking but hate having to mess with the clubs any way at all.

Reactions: Sulayman
It's truly mind-blowing. I love to walk. One of my favorite things to do when visiting a new city is just start walking nowhere in particular. My mom is in good shape for 69, but she told me one time, "I don't like to walk." That statement dumbfounded me, but I think it may be from growing up in the first generation of suburbia when everything was built around the automobile and marketed on ease, convenience and saving time.

I love to walk too. I walk at least 2 miles every day. I even walked up to the day before my knee replacement last year. I think that's why I had very few problems with it. Was back walking three weeks after the surgery.

I also like to walk around big cities when I visit.

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!

Reactions: Sulayman
The forecast is calling for heavy thunderstorms the entire afternoon
Well after all, it IS Columbia, S.C. and it is August.

giphy.gif

I just reserved a room in Camden Friday and Saturday night prior to that Monday. My grandson's first H.S. football game is the 18th.

Reactions: chick75
Anyone else that lives near the 100 percent area thinking of just traveling to dome desolate part of the state and finding some country road or parking lot or something and setting up a little tailgate?? I many head down 521 South past Camden. I bet 77 may be a parking lot.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
The forecast is calling for heavy thunderstorms the entire afternoon
Well after all, it IS Columbia, S.C. and it is August.
Are we not talking about 8/21 - two weeks from this coming Monday? Are you giving credence to a weather report that far in advance?

And crowds everywhere but at the mass at the stadium were smaller than predicted as well.
Given that the Catholic population of SC at the time was estimated to be 2%, and the publicity was to anticipate large crowds, and shuttles were supposed to bring people to Assembly Street from West Columbia, etc. for the parade, most of the population probably felt that it wasn't worth fighting such a crowd to see someone who had no significant meaning for them.

At his previous stop in Miami, there were throngs who turned out to see him.

Given that the Catholic population of SC at the time was estimated to be 2%, and the publicity was to anticipate large crowds, and shuttles were supposed to bring people to Assembly Street from West Columbia, etc. for the parade, most of the population probably felt that it wasn't worth fighting such a crowd to see someone who had no significant meaning for them.

I saw him on the horseshoe. It wasn't all that crowded. To be honest, Gameday drew about the same number.

Are we not talking about 8/21 - two weeks from this coming Monday? Are you giving credence to a weather report that far in advance?

Exactly, and thunderstorms usually don't occur until later in the afternoon. The eclipse will be early in the afternoon.

His people probably sized up the stop here as a dud.

His people probably sized up the stop here as a dud.
My wife was raised Catholic, and her parents came to Cola to see His Holiness from their retirement home in Clayton, GA. This was several years before we met.

Clayton is in the path of eclipse totality. I figure that the road to Clayton from Atlanta (US441) will be worse than I-20 to Cola.

The eclipse is a big deal, but it's a weekday so I don't think the crowds will be overwhelming. Think like a little more than a football weekend.
We live in Rock hill and the kids have half days. I'm hesitant to come down. I guess we should get some glasses so we don't burn our eyes out. I'm not a science nerd but my wife may want me to fall in a well and have me break every bone in my body. That's a Delores Claiborne reference introduced by my ADD.

Reactions: chick75
My wife was raised Catholic, and her parents came to Cola to see His Holiness from their retirement home in Clayton, GA. This was several years before we met.

Clayton is in the path of eclipse totality. I figure that the road to Clayton from Atlanta (US441) will be worse than I-20 to Cola.
The event at the Stadium drew well, as I recall. The parade route, not so much.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn

Well I'm Catholic and the Pope is big. Not a huge fan of this one but if was JP2 I would go

Well I'm Catholic and the Pope is big. Not a huge fan of this one but if was JP2 I would go

Now if SC were 32% Catholic in 1986, there likely would have been a mob on Assembly Street. My thinking is that the average non-Catholic was not going to put themselves through that kind of an ordeal to see him. If I were Catholic, I probably would have gladly gone through such an ordeal.

Thanks for understanding that I was in no way trying to disparage JP2. IMO, he was probably one of the best to hold the position.

Last edited:
Now if SC were 32% Catholic in 1986, there likely would have been a mob on Assembly Street. My thinking is that the average non-Catholic was not going to put themselves through that kind of an ordeal to see him. If I were Catholic, I probably would have gladly gone through such an ordeal.

Thanks for understanding that I was in no way trying to disparage JP2. IMO, he was probably one of the best to hold the position.
Well, the Pope has pretty good star power in general. He generates interest even from non-Catholics.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Any owner of a business that caters to the public would be crazy to close that day.

I guess it is a near deal, but some folks are totally jacked about it all. Say hotel rooms up here in Greenville, and the surrounding towns, have been sold out for a long time.

Don't keep up with important events the rest of the world follows do we?

Desirable lodging anywhere in the eclipse path has been sold out for over a year. Many who keep up with such events travel nationally and beyond in hopes of having a good view of an event that many never get the chance to see.

Not really knocking it. I just think it is a bit silly to travel for something that will last a few minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT