ADVERTISEMENT

How devastating to Tenn is Huepel leaves?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
If he goes to Oklahoma which I doubt he does, what would it do to Tenn being they seem happy with him and last two coaching searches went so bad.

Stoops canned Heupel when he was OC there and Stoops is still heavily involved with the program. Depends on if there's still bad blood there. Or maybe Heupel sees the firing with hindsight and how it set him the path for success. Hard to say. If he's pissed at Stoops, then it's probably a no-go. I did see where Heupel was rated the best first-year P5 coach this past season. It would be quite comical if he did leave though. Just when it seems UT finally stumbled onto a good coaching hire.

Stoops canned Heupel when he was OC there and Stoops is still heavily involved with the program. Depends on if there's still bad blood there. Or maybe Heupel sees the firing with hindsight and how it set him the path for success. Hard to say. If he's pissed at Stoops, then it's probably a no-go. I did see where Heupel was rated the best first-year P5 coach this past season. It would be quite comical if he did leave though. Just when it seems UT finally stumbled onto a good coaching hire.
^^^^THIS, through and through! Venebles left under strained circumstances as well, fwiw!

Reactions: TAV31 and king ward
Didn't know the background on Huepel's departure. Assumed he would be considered.

Didn't know the background on Huepel's departure. Assumed he would be considered.

Oh, he may very well be. He seems to be on every list that's out there. Nobody knows if there's bad blood b/w him and Stoops or not. It's just part of the story. He can't be upset about his career trajectory. He's head coach at a major SEC program. IF his dream was to be head coach at OU and the opportunity is now there, he's only a few years behind where he would have been had he been retained and succeeded Stoops.

I guess the question for me is, "is the UT job a better job than ours?" If the UT job is better, then we better hope Huepel gets it over Beamer.

The Cincinnati Coach has already made it clear, he does not want to coach in the SEC...With the SEC getting much stronger, I see our job as a "career starter for an up and coming coach" or a "former successful coach looking to finish his career". (Spurrier, Mack Brown types)

Last edited:
I guess the question for me is, "is the UT job a better job than ours?" If the UT job is better, then we better hope Huepel gets it over Beamer.

The Cincinnati Coach has already made it clear, he does not want to coach in the SEC...With the SEC getting much stronger, I see our job as a "career starter for an up and coming coach" or a "former successful coach looking to finish his career". (Spurrier, Mack Brown types)
Just my opinion, but I don’t see Beamer leaving here for OU. I’d love to see Huepel break one off in the viles and go to Norman. I agree that ours is a career starter type job or a swan song for a successful guy looking to ride off into the sunset.

Stoops has been quoted as regretting firing Heupel. He called it a mistake.

I believe Heupel did a really good job at UT this year. I don't believe any coach inherited a bigger mess than Heupel did at UT.

I was talking to my neighbor who is a season tix holder and listens to the sports talk shows out of Knoxville...Heupel takes his family to Calhoun's on the River where they do his call in show and has dinner there with the family...What he is doing kind of reminds of Dabo in that everything involving football revolves around his family...

This is a quality my neighbor and Vol Nation love...

I hope both Heupel and Beamer stay put!!! Quality young men!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT