ADVERTISEMENT

How did the bass fishing team do this season?

how did they get sucked out of the boat ? I've never seen anything like that is it common?
That is not common, I have fished all my life and hundreds of tournaments. l watched it a few times and he should have trimmed down a little coming off those boat wakes. I wish I could see what kind of boat that is? That boat still should not have hooked like it did when it fell off it's running pad. Good thing the guys had jackets on but just as important was he obviously had his kill switch hooked up too!

Men's bass fishing had a tough year. Women's bass fishing is top of the conference though

:D

giphy.gif

Not sucked out. Thrown out by the sudden shift of the boat to the right. Most who drive fast flat(ish) bottom boats have had this happen in some degree. Hard to tell just what the details are but the driver may have learned a life lesson without permanent damage.

Blastoff at a tourney is like nascar on water. But those guys could’ve probably prevented that.

That guy is a moron to try and skip over the other boats wake at full trim and top speed. There is only about 4" of boat in the water at those speeds and it is like bald tires on an icy road. He basically spun out and he is lucky he wasn't killed.

Exactly !!! Trying to jump a wake hammered down , probably no trim tabs ?!!! Lucky nobody got killed . Was on a trip last year and watched a 300 lb lady on a jet ski try to jump a 4 foot swell in the pass ... her chin hit the handlebars when she landed and I saw teeth flying everywhere . Not an exaggeration. Lady knocked her teeth out . Saw it coming a mile away . Idiots everywhere .

Exactly !!! Trying to jump a wake hammered down , probably no trim tabs ?!!! Lucky nobody got killed . Was on a trip last year and watched a 300 lb lady on a jet ski try to jump a 4 foot swell in the pass ... her chin hit the handlebars when she landed and I saw teeth flying everywhere . Not an exaggeration. Lady knocked her teeth out . Saw it coming a mile away . Idiots everywhere .

How, exactly, do those things work?

How, exactly, do those things work?

In a nutshell it basically forces water pressure under the stern to adjust the altitude of your bow . It makes the boat get on plain faster and stay on plain . Because the boat is riding more evenly ( the bow is not way up in the air) you don’t get beat up as bad . It’s saves a lot of fuel also because the engine isn’t having to work as hard . For a flats or inshore boat it is a must have . Amazing how much smoothly the ride is in a boat with trim tabs . Not saying that it would have prevented that accident but it would have helped !!!

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
In a nutshell it basically forces water pressure under the stern to adjust the altitude of your bow . It makes the boat get on plain faster and stay on plain . Because the boat is riding more evenly ( the bow is not way up in the air) you don’t get beat up as bad . It’s saves a lot of fuel also because the engine isn’t having to work as hard . For a flats or inshore boat it is a must have . Amazing how much smoothly the ride is in a boat with trim tabs . Not saying that it would have prevented that accident but it would have helped !!!

So, am I understanding this correctly....

Trim tabs on their highest setting, bow much higher? Trim tabs on their lowest setting, on plain quicker & bow lower; better mileage?

Yes sir . The lower the tabs go the more it forces the bow down . You can also correct “list” by lowering one tab and raising another . If you have a lot of gear or fuel on one side of the boat you can adjust to compensate . You can actually over trimm which causes you to plow into waves so it’s best to set them gradually until you set your speed .

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
Yes sir . The lower the tabs go the more it forces the bow down . You can also correct “list” by lowering one tab and raising another . If you have a lot of gear or fuel on one side of the boat you can adjust to compensate . You can actually over trimm which causes you to plow into waves so it’s best to set them gradually until you set your speed .
Exactly and a lot of these guys lift the motor up so the prop is not very deep in the water making things even worse. Motor tilt/trim, trim tabs, and engine lift systems (can't remember the what they call that) are all great additions to any boat.....but they will also get you killed if they are set incorrectly.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Not sucked out. Thrown out by the sudden shift of the boat to the right. Most who drive fast flat(ish) bottom boats have had this happen in some degree. Hard to tell just what the details are but the driver may have learned a life lesson without permanent damage.
Thank you for the info . It just all of a sudden whoosh they were gone.

The Florida guys had a steering failure. They were actually only running around 50 mph when it happened. I know someone that knows one of the people that was in the boat. If you watch the video you can see him turning the wheel and the boat isn’t responding. When you let off the gas the boat will unload because of the torque from the prop goes away and with no steering there is nothing you can do.

The Florida guys had a steering failure. They were actually only running around 50 mph when it happened. I know someone that knows one of the people that was in the boat. If you watch the video you can see him turning the wheel and the boat isn’t responding. When you let off the gas the boat will unload because of the torque from the prop goes away and with no steering there is nothing you can do.
I am calling a hogwash flag on this one. These boats have hydraulic power steering and even if you lose the hydraulics you can still steer albeit with much more force needed. It would have to be a heavy duty linkage failure which is highly unlikely..but maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT