ADVERTISEMENT

How do you guys feel about Tanner

Yeah, people, everything is fine. It's not like the football team lost to the cid or the coach walked out in the middle of the season. Just relax and remember our rich tradition of making good decisions in the athletic dept.

And Tanner was supposed to what about that? Promote an interim coach? Check. Start looking for a new head coach? Check. So what has Tanner done wrong in this situation?

In regards to losing to the Citadel do you really think Tanner wanted us to lose that game? Do you think Elliott wanted us to lose that game? I guess Tanner could've put on a football uniform and stood on the sidelines to make you feel better.

Yeah, people, everything is fine. It's not like the football team lost to the cid or the coach walked out in the middle of the season. Just relax and remember our rich tradition of making good decisions in the athletic dept.
I've always wondered where your posting name came from and it dawned on me Summers was thrown out for Pot. Only a tater would put together a name like that and your posting history is very taterish.

Reactions: rpp2001 and CAIN#
Oh boy another let's bash Ray thread....
For the millionth time Tanner did NOT talk Spurrier in to staying. Spurrier has said himself his family talked him into it.

Reactions: CAIN#
I don't know that anything Tanner has done to date is deserving of any real criticism, but when you are the CEO, you are responsible for what happens under your watch. The baseball team has gone from the premier program in the country to a team that missed the tournament. Football has fallen off from 4th best in the country to maybe 4th best in the state. Basketball does appear to be improving, but it's middle of the road at best so far. This coaching hire is going to define his tenure as our AD. He needs to hit a homerun. He can't afford to miss on this.
which basketball team is not improving? Woman #2 in the country. Men look vastly improved. You might need a good eye doctor.

@uscbrandon
Several good responses in this thread you hatched here, both for and against your initial comments.

Where you is??

Why y'all so:

This-Jilted-Bride-Almost-Jumped-Out-Of-The-Window-Right-Before-Her-Wedding.jpg
That's gold, Jerry. Gold!

Maybe we don't have any hitting but shouldn't we let them actually play the season before we just conclude that as absolute fact?
Dude, don't you know these guys on here already know how things are going to work out even before the first pitch is thrown. Dang, get with the program man!

Oh boy another let's bash Ray thread....
For the millionth time Tanner did NOT talk Spurrier in to staying. Spurrier has said himself his family talked him into it.
You're wasting your time saying this. Nobody is listening. They have to have somebody to bash.

@uscbrandon
Several good responses in this thread you hatched here, both for and against your initial comments.

Where you is??

Work. But I feel others have made my point way better than I could and for that I am appreciative. Now, I will just sit back and wait for Tanner to screw up the deal with Smart. I hope you guys are prepared to be disappointed...Smart will announce he isn't interested soon.

I've always wondered where your posting name came from and it dawned on me Summers was thrown out for Pot. Only a tater would put together a name like that and your posting history is very taterish.
You've figured me out! I'm so committed to my trolling that you can find me in club seats in section 109, row six.

Seriously, good work.

Reactions: gpcocks
Only the first 2 bullet points are true (and nothing wrong with them) the rest mean nothing and certainly dont indicate he cant do the job.
Actually they're all true. I think you mean irrelevant. That's also wrong.

Look, Ray could hit a homerun here. He could turn out to be a great AD. So far he seems as unsteady on his feet as a new born giraffe. Maybe we should've expected that since he's a coach, not an admistrator. But he owns the products on the field/court and the results so far speak for themselves. Hey, maybe frank does it this year. I hope so.

Please list every mistake Tanner has made thus far - and where you get your information.

Thanks beforehand.

Whoa! You mean we have to use facts? That will cut out 90% of the stupid posts on here!! ;)

Tanner has not been impressive.
The whole program got complacent and hired a baseball coach as ad and let spurrier drag us into the ground.
We did not handle success well.

Tanner cried at coaches press conference for crying out loud. Do you think Eric Hyman would've cried?

It all reeks of good ole boy backdoor deals that have blown up in our face.

We need to change our approach. Business world has changed but we have stayed put.

We deserve a top notch ad

People need to open up their eyes and realize that right now our entire program from the A.D. down is a joke

I don't know that anything Tanner has done to date is deserving of any real criticism, but when you are the CEO, you are responsible for what happens under your watch. The baseball team has gone from the premier program in the country to a team that missed the tournament. Football has fallen off from 4th best in the country to maybe 4th best in the state. Basketball does appear to be improving, but it's middle of the road at best so far. This coaching hire is going to define his tenure as our AD. He needs to hit a homerun. He can't afford to miss on this.
I think you mean mens basketball..

I think you mean mens basketball..
Was anyone honestly confused that "middle of the road" referred to the men's team as opposed to the women's team? I think that was quite obvious with a little deduction, was it not? But thanks for pointing it out, I guess.

That's exactly it. He won baseball stuff. And many in SC like baseball. It's barely even a sport. It's like golf on roids. But...he won....so put him in charge. Baseball and football culture are vastly different. And we have a baseball guy making football decisions.

Baseball barely even a sport?? That's just stupid!! It is one of the most difficult sports to play well. Has a very cerebral component to it. Probably why you don't understand it!!

He actually did a public search for a MBB coach by committee and humiliated himself and USC when he went to Texas to meet a prospective MBB coach who was just playing USC for publicity. Then he hired Steve Newton. It's like Ray re-hiring Richard Bell for HC.
In his defense, he was begged to take the job he didn't want because he had integrity and USC was trying to make up for Holderman who fired one of the best FB coaches USC has ever had. I will never understand why the BOT took Holderman's side against Jim.
Because he was screwing a cheerleader.

Basically he reasons for this beat down on Ray Tanner is we are 3-8, Clemson ranked #1 in the country, our depressed feelings over Clemson's success and our failure make him more open to attack from the fan base, we are very miserable right now waiting on a new coach, that every day we wait and every rumor that ends up being just that and doesn't come to USC makes Tanner an even less qualified AD in some peoples eyes. Tanner may or may not prove to be a good AD but to stone him now because of our hate for a rival success or for immediately not being able to hire one's favorite coach is just plain immature.

1. Hired Holbrook
2. Gave him an extension
3. Let Spurrier quit, then talked him out of it then watched coach say he's leaving in 2-3 years
4. Let Spurrier make no real changes to team when it clearly was heading south. Now paying $1.5 million for coordinators for next year. Spurrier makes $1 on the way out.
5. Had a coach leave mid season
6. Cried at presser
7. Let players pick replacement, which is his job
* this replacement lost to citadel after ray said he's doing an "excellent" job. If you can't hold your team together to get win over cid, you were wrong guy.
8. If this leak is partly to blame for this mess, admittedly a big if, that's the biggest mistake yet.
Nothing I've listed is fatal, not even close. If he months to get this hire right and blows it, we'll know he's just not built for the gig.
wow,you live in a different world than I do....you do realize we are the other usc correct? Holbrook has 2 top 5 classes in a row coming in....he will be fine....fm might have us dancing this year....wbb? nothing needs to be said here....equestrian? see last question.....soccer? ditto....we are 2 years removed from back to back top ten finishes...wanna blame anybody for that you have to look at our former hall of fame coach...who I personally am grateful that he made this a destination job...you should probably sit out for a spell

Reactions: rpp2001
I will always have a ton of Respect for Ray Tanner, he brought us 2 National Championships back to back. He has really helped Carolina with improvements to our Facilities. Look at Our Football Stadium now and where it was. Look at the new indoor practice facility. I think the man is doing a great job, Just because one man has decided that he didn't want to come to The USC everybody decides to turn against Ray Come<on folks we should be better than this
Of course it does.

I will always have a ton of Respect for Ray Tanner, he brought us 2 National Championships back to back. He has really helped Carolina with improvements to our Facilities. Look at Our Football Stadium now and where it was. Look at the new indoor practice facility. I think the man is doing a great job, Just because one man has decided that he didn't want to come to The USC everybody decides to turn against Ray Come<on folks we should be better than this
All the facility stuff so far goes back to Hyman.

I don't know that anything Tanner has done to date is deserving of any real criticism, but when you are the CEO, you are responsible for what happens under your watch. . . He can't afford to miss on this.
Yes, the CEO is responsible for what happens under his watch, but he's not responsible for every short-term problem that happens in his organization. There's not an AD in the country that would have meddled much in Steve Spurrier's coaching decisions after last year. I'm sure they sat down and both agreed that 7-6 was unacceptable, but when you have a hall of fame coach, who'd just given you your 3 best years in the history of your football program, you don't go in and micromanage his team. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise because no coach would ever want to work for you again. You let the proven coach decide for himself the best way to right ship and you both leave the meeting with the understanding that the coach will bear the burden if his decision turns out to be wrong

The CEO has to be judged based on long term trends. To that end, your second comment above is correct. Tanner can't afford to swing and miss on this coaching hire. If we are in this same spot 4 years from now, and depending on how things go in the other Gamecock sports, then it may be time to consider a new AD.

Only the first 2 bullet points are true (and nothing wrong with them) the rest mean nothing and certainly dont indicate he cant do the job.

Anyone with half a brain would have promoted Holbrook to head coach like Tanner did when he retired. Hasn't worked great so far, but this year will be telling as to whether it will work out or not. I love all the 20/20 vision people after the fact.

hey mr king you re full of crap. you are the most negative poster on here bud. Hyman has been gone for awhile you cant have it both ways you gotta give the man credit for something

paying Spurrier through season now? It just gives me warm fuzzies considering he will be the one making the head coaching decision.

It's a contract! We owed him! We paid him! Appreciate what he did for the most part here and moved on from him!

Looking forward to Saturday at about 4 when this era will officially be over and we move on to the next!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT