ADVERTISEMENT

I have never KNOWN FOR A FACT that we would beat clemson in football

mUSCle Gamecock

Jan 28, 1999
In my 52 years of life, I have never experienced a time of my life as a Gamecocks fan where I knew that we would beat clemson in football. Even when we went through our glorious 5 times in a row of spanking them good, they still put a quality team on the field. I can't even fathom what it feels like to go into rivalry week KNOWING that we would beat the tiggers.

But, that's why they play the games.

Look at Clemson v Pitt or Clemson v Syracuse (whatever year those were...). The only season they finished undefeated was last season. For that matter, look at us this year v Georgia.

As I said... that's why they play the games.

Reactions: Cock In Space
But, that's why they play the games.

Look at Clemson v Pitt or Clemson v Syracuse (whatever year those were...). The only season they finished undefeated was last season. For that matter, look at us this year v Georgia.

As I said... that's why they play the games.

Absolutely, I am certainly not advocating not playing the game. I am just stating the fact that clem has never been down, even due to injuries, when playing us.

In my 52 years of life, I have never experienced a time of my life as a Gamecocks fan where I knew that we would beat clemson in football. Even when we went through our glorious 5 times in a row of spanking them good, they still put a quality team on the field. I can't even fathom what it feels like to go into rivalry week KNOWING that we would beat the tiggers.

2010 was pretty close to certain.

I knew we were going to beat them during a couple years w SOS. It was obvious Boyd wasn't going to do well against us those couple years. I'm not a guy to bet but I bet a lot on us those couple years against them.

Bad thing is the other side of that coin. We all know for a fact who is winning this year.

Tiger Guy here:

I'm not certain that Clemson is going to win. The "any given Saturday" argument is very valid in college football. I feel very confident that Clemson SHOULD win. But certain? Nope. No one in their right mind thought USC would beat UGA, but here we are.

I actually take some comfort in the fact that USC beat UGA this year. You can bet your ass that Dabo is pounding that game home with Clemson. Telling them that if they don't show up ready to play, they can and will get their asses beat.

Reactions: 6thDanTKD
I knew it in 2011-2013. Had no doubts. We were just better
To be honest with you, even on those years I was very leery. I have often given them credit for being better than they were. Lots of our wins came as a surprise to me. The game featuring the Butler catch, a game in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, probably gave rise to that mindset more than any other.

Tiger Guy here:

I'm not certain that Clemson is going to win. The "any given Saturday" argument is very valid in college football. I feel very confident that Clemson SHOULD win. But certain? Nope. No one in their right mind thought USC would beat UGA, but here we are.

I actually take some comfort in the fact that USC beat UGA this year. You can bet your ass that Dabo is pounding that game home with Clemson. Telling them that if they don't show up ready to play, they can and will get their asses beat.
You can't win if you don't score points. We have one of the worst offense's in the Country. In the NFL everybody is pros that's why anybody can lose on any given Sunday.

1980...I was in graduate school at the time and just knew our 8-2 team, with George Rodgers as our running back, would beat 5-5 Clemson on the road. OF COURSE OUR TEAM LOST! So much for knowing. They also knew they were going to win in 2009. They had Spiller and were going to play Georgia Tech for the ACC Championship and our team was 6-5. Overconfidence can be a bad thing...but they have too much to lose to come here unprepared.

1980...I was in graduate school at the time and just knew our 8-2 team, with George Rodgers as our running back, would beat 5-5 Clemson on the road. OF COURSE OUR TEAM LOST! So much for knowing. They also knew they were going to win in 2009. They had Spiller and were going to play Georgia Tech for the ACC Championship and our team was 6-5. Overconfidence can be a bad thing...but they have too much to lose to come here unprepared.
I remember 1980 being an @$$-kicking and completely inexcusable. But at least I wasn't shocked. As I stated above, I have always given them credit for being better than they were. To put the icing on the cake, we went on to lost the bowl game also. Might be the worst team ever that featured a Heisman Trophy winner.

I don’t think I ever KNEW that we would beat any other major team. Not even Vanderbilt during the good Spurrier run.
I sure wouldn’t bet my paycheck that we beat Clemson this year. I think if the team actually prepares and then plays like they want to be there like they did against UGA there is a chance we give them a good game. Since a lot of our players are from Georgia the team probably played them like they are our rival. And they probably won’t against Clemson.

Its a frustrating time to be a Gamecock for sure. LoL

Reactions: Tiger 28
To be honest with you, even on those years I was very leery. I have often given them credit for being better than they were. Lots of our wins came as a surprise to me. The game featuring the Butler catch, a game in which we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, probably gave rise to that mindset more than any other.

My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: king ward
[QUOTE="PalmettoG27, post: 4827387, member: 116632"]I don’t think I ever KNEW that we would beat any other major team. Not even Vanderbilt during the good Spurrier run.
Its a frustrating time to be a Gamecock for sure. LoL
[/QUOTE]

NAVY ............ somebody had to say it.

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
Absolutely, I am certainly not advocating not playing the game. I am just stating the fact that clem has never been down, even due to injuries, when playing us.

That's because they play in a high school football conference. Maybe even a middle school football conference. Taters have an unfair advantage. It's hard to loose players to injury and loose games when you play powder puff football all season!!!

That's because they play in a high school football conference. Maybe even a middle school football conference. Taters have an unfair advantage. It's hard to loose players to injury and loose games when you play powder puff football all season!!!

we are about to go 0 for our last 5 against that high school conference, soooooooo....

It's kind of funny, the last time Clemson was REALLY bad was 1998 when they went 3-8. You would have thought that would have been a pretty good opportunity for us to feel good about win, except that it just happened that their really bad year coincided with an even worse year for us.

Then our run of being really good from 2011-2013 also happened to coincide with the uptick for Clemson as they were double-digit winners each season. We happened to be better each of those years, but the going into the games there was no guarantee.

Guess you're right, but I've never thought about it. Going into our game, Clemson has always been substantially better than us or about even with us.

You are right about them putting a quality team on the field. I have been watching the rivalry all my life at 59 years old and it almost always seemed like Clemson was more prepared to play and it also seemed like they always wanted to win the game more than we did, it just seemed like they wanted it more than we did. I don't know why but that is the way it has looked to me over the years.

It's not clemson's fault that the rest of its conference sucks at football.

Years I have actually been pretty confident (some worked out & some didn't):

I remember 1980 being an @$$-kicking and completely inexcusable. But at least I wasn't shocked. As I stated above, I have always given them credit for being better than they were. To put the icing on the cake, we went on to lost the bowl game also. Might be the worst team ever that featured a Heisman Trophy winner.
You need to do your homework. Paul Horning was on a bad Notre Dame team when he won the Heisman.

The conference UofSC has lost 4 straight games against.

I never felt we would lose to them or anyone else, when Spurrier and G.A. were calling plays.
I always felt we had a great chance with them on the sidelines.

Reactions: Tall Squirrel
I knew we were going to beat them during a couple years w SOS. It was obvious Boyd wasn't going to do well against us those couple years. I'm not a guy to bet but I bet a lot on us those couple years against them.
I don't know how much better you were during the streak but I do know Spurrier was deeply embedded in Clemson's mind- from Swinney on down and particularly Boyd's. SOS was doubtlessly part Svengali. Don't remember the year offhand but the game was in Cola. CU pushed you around on both sides of the ball but committed 478 turnovers, maybe one of which was forced. Even Spurrier himself said something like "That's a good football team but they just don't seem to play very well against us."

Now props to Shaw who ran for life that day and played like a champion but that was not anywhere near a representative effort from CU who gave him short field after short field. SOS was a grand-master when it came to head-games. He'd get the team so riled up and eager to beat him, they got tight and had no prayer. And given that, I'd say there were games I knew SC was going to win. After two in a row, that snowball got bigger and bigger on its way down the hill and nothing short of a total collapse when you ran out of quality players to the point that SOS quit was going to change that.

You are right about them putting a quality team on the field. I have been watching the rivalry all my life at 59 years old and it almost always seemed like Clemson was more prepared to play and it also seemed like they always wanted to win the game more than we did, it just seemed like they wanted it more than we did. I don't know why but that is the way it has looked to me over the years.
Nailed it.

I’m shocked 1987 didn’t come up. We had several common opponents and we were better against most of them. The crowd was electric. You could practically see Taters peeing their pants before kickoff. “Rooooodkneeeee” never stood a chance. The scoreboard said 20-7 but that game was never really in doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT