ADVERTISEMENT

I mean really what is going on with Burch?

Maybe I'm missing something. Do you have a rough estimate number as to how many scholarship football players are out there who never signed a letter of intent? Is there any reason for a player not to sign one? Better yet, is there any reason for a coach to hold a scholarship open for a guy who doesn't want to sign one?
Yes, there are plenty of reasons not to sign. I am assuming he wants to play for Muschamp. Muschamp gets fired, resigns or gets hit by a bus. Burch can walk away.

Let me ask you a question. What benefit does Burch get by signing? Please don't tell me it solidifies his spot. We all know they are going to hold a spot.

Who else is left to give it to this year?

How about:
Stef Djordjevic, CB
Matt Saracen, QB
Ricky Baker, RB
Vince Howard, QB
Charles Jefferson, DL
Jonathan Moxon, QB
Billy Bob, OL
Wendell Brown, RB
Charlie Tweeder, WR
Smash Williams, RB
Hastings Ruckle, WR
Dallas Tinker, OL
Tim Riggins, FB
A.C. Slater, ATH
Vinnie Salvucci, RB
Ray “Voodoo” Tatum
David Green, QB
Randall “Pink” Floyd, QB
Landry Clarke, K

Transfer from Ga Tech, George P. Burdell

Reactions: polo-loco
How about:
Stef Djordjevic, CB
Matt Saracen, QB
Ricky Baker, RB
Vince Howard, QB
Charles Jefferson, DL
Jonathan Moxon, QB
Billy Bob, OL
Wendell Brown, RB
Charlie Tweeder, WR
Smash Williams, RB
Hastings Ruckle, WR
Dallas Tinker, OL
Tim Riggins, FB
A.C. Slater, ATH
Vinnie Salvucci, RB
Ray “Voodoo” Tatum
David Green, QB
Randall “Pink” Floyd, QB
Landry Clarke, K

Transfer from Ga Tech, George P. Burdell

Here is another

Maybe I'm missing something. Do you have a rough estimate number as to how many scholarship football players are out there who never signed a letter of intent? Is there any reason for a player not to sign one? Better yet, is there any reason for a coach to hold a scholarship open for a guy who doesn't want to sign one?

My questions are based on the assumption that he wants to come here, as evidenced by his "signing day" ceremony today. If he doesn't want to come here, then why the two dog-and-pony shows? It seems like one of these big public marriage proposals where the guy pops the question on the stadium scoreboard - only, he just shows her the ring and doesn't put it on her finger.

It doesn’t happen. Almost everyone signs an LOI.

The only players of note who haven’t are Burch and Zach Evans, who might be certifiably insane.

Reactions: RockyTopVFL
Yes, there are plenty of reasons not to sign. I am assuming he wants to play for Muschamp. Muschamp gets fired, resigns or gets hit by a bus. Burch can walk away.

Let me ask you a question. What benefit does Burch get by signing? Please don't tell me it solidifies his spot. We all know they are going to hold a spot.
So Burch is just smarter than the thousands of recruits that have come before him? Again, we're both assuming he WANTS to play here (or for Muschamp, whatever). Your reasons are all bogus. Muschamp isn't going to get fired before Burch would join this team. If anything, his unwillingness to sign makes life that much tougher on this coach he loves so much.

I think it's much more likely that an unwillingness to sign is a signal that he hasn't fully made his decision - which is fine. I don't blame the young man for making that decision at a deliberate pace. But be honest about it. Don't tell people TWICE that you are definitely doing something if you aren't really sure.

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran

Are you saying he never signs the paperwork, so therefore he becomes a walk on versus a scholarship player so he can walk away and go play elsewhere if Muschamp gets hit by a bus? Are you delusional?

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
A few things we know for sure; The kid has twice said he is attending USC. He hasn't submitted his LOI yet. He showed up to the Hammond ceremony wearing Gamecock apparel. Everything else is pure speculation.

Reactions: BigTomE
Are you saying he never signs the paperwork, so therefore he becomes a walk on versus a scholarship player so he can walk away and go play elsewhere if Muschamp gets hit by a bus? Are you delusional?
You can be a scholarship player and not sign a LOI. What is the benefit of him signing the LOI?

Reactions: jeff2001
Sounds like Jordan signed LOI for Carolina and Mama wants LSU, so she is holding the letter until the bank transfer is in the account from LSU...

she made a promise to LSU..

So Burch is just smarter than the thousands of recruits that have come before him? Again, we're both assuming he WANTS to play here (or for Muschamp, whatever). Your reasons are all bogus. Muschamp isn't going to get fired before Burch would join this team. If anything, his unwillingness to sign makes life that much tougher on this coach he loves so much.

I think it's much more likely that an unwillingness to sign is a signal that he hasn't fully made his decision - which is fine. I don't blame the young man for making that decision at a deliberate pace. But be honest about it. Don't tell people TWICE that you are definitely doing something if you aren't really sure.
Smarter and better than most. I was a scholarship basketball player back in the day. I didn't have Burch's talent. If I did and was guaranteed a spot on the team of my choice, no way I would sign.

May not get fired but look at what happened to the players that signed early with Michigan State. It happens.

I don’t like special pleading and this ego is special pleading. Team sport and I expect to act as a team player who doesn’t “his spot is saved bs” as that is special pleading.

A few things we know for sure; The kid has twice said he is attending USC. He hasn't submitted his LOI yet. He showed up to the Hammond ceremony wearing Gamecock apparel. Everything else is pure speculation.

One more there, Johnny, we also know this is at the least unusual behavior. Somethings up but what?

If true, then tell your head coach what you are doing so that he knows. It’s clear Muschamp has no idea.

Reactions: gamecockwrestler
If true, then tell your head coach what you are doing so that he knows. It’s clear Muschamp has no idea.

Unless ...unless it’s Muschamps way of negotiating leverage to protect his job the next season or two. I actually think it might be “if they fire my friends dad I’m walking” sorta thing. Now this is all whipped right out of my backside, but if that is the case, hit the bricks we won’t be held hostage. Just to play along with my not even a hypothesis here, if that was, I’d fire champ immediately. I’m not saying it is the case but Muschamps comments on this are also perplexing.

Damn did I just go Alex Jones? Sheesh...lol

Unless ...unless it’s Muschamps way of negotiating leverage to protect his job the next season or two. I actually think it might be “if they fire my friends dad I’m walking” sorta thing. Now this is all whipped right out of my backside, but if that is the case, hit the bricks we won’t be held hostage. Just to play along with my not even a hypothesis here, if that was, I’d fire champ immediately. I’m not saying it is the case but Muschamps comments on this are also perplexing.

Damn did I just go Alex Jones? Sheesh...lol

He has a FAT buyout to protect his job. He doesn’t need to lie to USC fans about some kid signing which would be stupid because you are relying on other people to keep their mouth shut.

In other words, that scenario is preposterous.

Reactions: olpolecat
He has a FAT buyout to protect his job. He doesn’t need to lie to USC fans about some kid signing which would be stupid because you are relying on other people to keep their mouth shut.

In other words, that scenario is preposterous.

A repeat of this past season won’t protect him next year. That buyout protected him this past season.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Well, wouldn't you know it! Sometimes it's the simplest explanations. Has been reported he signed a LOI for the EQUESTRIAN team on accident. Congrats to Boo Major for the signing day flip! Getting one heck of an athlete!

Everything has to be political doesn't it? I guess my rejoinder would be that at least Pelosi tore up his lie ridden speech and not the Constitution which Trump either hasn't read or can't read. There, feel better?
Or you could just acknowledge that was a funny joke and not be a whiney little...

typically if a coach leaves a signee can still transfer... but I get your point and you are right TBH. There is little benefit to signing one for a highly sought after recruit if he knows they will hold a spot for him and will still honor a scholi, but there IS that risk present that SOME schools might not. Carolina, when we are talking a 5* kid among the highest rated we have ever landed? We will keep the spot open as long as he is saying he wants to come here.

Reactions: viennacocks
Everything I'm hearing is it's his mom. Heard she is trying to capitalize off her son and may have a "better offer" elsewhere.

Whatever the outcome I trust no one does anything really dumb or makes any "offers' to put the school at risk. It's been two weeks since he did the unofficial to LSU, you'd think that his choice of schools is known by now.

I don’t like special pleading and this ego is special pleading. Team sport and I expect to act as a team player who doesn’t “his spot is saved bs” as that is special pleading.
He is being a team player. He committed to us and reaffirmed his commitment.

hey, anyone remember how we had Balkman’s Buddies back in the Dave Odom days? We should make a new club, Burch’s B$&?!3s, and make Viennacocks the president of the fan club.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT