ADVERTISEMENT

I think I’m going to make shrimp ‘n grits for the first game. What are…

I usually like to smoke some ribs for our opener. Bratwurst for the first CFB game of the year. But I might go simple with burgers. Can’t go wrong with a burger. I usually end up snacking all day on chips and drinking beer so by the time it’s 7pm…I’m cooking for the formality of it.

Opening day of dove season. So dove hunting while listening to the game. What time is the game? Then eat some doves that night while talking about the game. 😁

Reactions: Tmac069
Only going to be with the WF so no tailgating for me. Just probably beer and whatever food I can buy near the stadium.

First game watching back in Charlotte; smoked pulled pork with some smoked wings.

Will be down for the Florida game; probably will be doing Beaufort stew at tailgate since it will be cold by then.

I usually like to smoke some ribs for our opener. Bratwurst for the first CFB game of the year. But I might go simple with burgers. Can’t go wrong with a burger. I usually end up snacking all day on chips and drinking beer so by the time it’s 7pm…I’m cooking for the formality of it.
Someone maybe should start up a smoking thread on how they handle their smoked items.

I've gotten a smoked butt down perfectly for my new smoker but I'm 0-3 for ribs and 0-2 on brisket.

Someone maybe should start up a smoking thread on how they handle their smoked items.

I've gotten a smoked butt down perfectly for my new smoker but I'm 0-3 for ribs and 0-2 on brisket.
For me, selecting the right meat is a big part of the process. I’ve had other people buy ribs for me and as soon as I opened them I knew they weren’t going to be the greatest.

There are so many ways for brisket. A lot of people like to go a long time, but I can cook a brisket in 8 hours, getting burnt end cubes off the point and the flat being awesome. Not opposed to 16 hours…

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
For me, selecting the right meat is a big part of the process. I’ve had other people buy ribs for me and as soon as I opened them I knew they weren’t going to be the greatest.

There are so many ways for brisket. A lot of people like to go a long time, but I can cook a brisket in 8 hours, getting burnt end cubes off the point and the flat being awesome. Not opposed to 16 hours…
Last time I did ribs, I bought an expensive rack thinking that would help to get good quality. All it did was piss me off 3x more that I messed it up.

For brisket; I've got a good Clempson buddy in the neighborhood that does a good job and doesn't do anything fancy. Going to strictly go by his way next time.

Last time I did ribs, I bought an expensive rack thinking that would help to get good quality. All it did was piss me off 3x more that I messed it up.

For brisket; I've got a good Clempson buddy in the neighborhood that does a good job and doesn't do anything fancy. Going to strictly go by his way next time.
What temperature are you aiming for on your ribs? If they are tough, they are likely not finished. I aim for 202 and usually want the thicker parts to be there. Fall off the bone ribs are usually overcooked…so worst case everyone loves them. Do you spritz? They can dry out if you don’t. Even if you are going to wrap, I’d be spritzing after that first hour until putting into foil.

I find St. Louis style easier as they are flatter and more uniform.

HT in Charlotte has hot sauce already in the cane for sardines. Not too bad.

Question is what TYPE of hot sauce?
I'm building up an interesting rotation on how I like to use;
  • Texas Pete
  • Frank's Hot Sauce
  • Sriracha
  • Kimchi Base
CRYSTAl!! The only as far as I’m concerned when putting on food. Texas Pete to cook !! 😂

Reactions: vehemon
What temperature are you aiming for on your ribs? If they are tough, they are likely not finished. I aim for 202 and usually want the thicker parts to be there. Fall off the bone ribs are usually overcooked…so worst case everyone loves them. Do you spritz? They can dry out if you don’t. Even if you are going to wrap, I’d be spritzing after that first hour until putting into foil.

I find St. Louis style easier as they are flatter and more uniform.
I've tried 3 different ways;
I can't remember my second attempt; might could blame that one on having a few too many to really pay attention properly.

1st attempt was 1/2 bake; 1/2 smoke. Under 250 hit in oven; wait until they are 150 then move to grill to smoke to 200. Dry rub in oven; sauce when putting on the grill. They were edible but not fall off the bone.

3rd attempt was in my smoker; had it on top rack and kept it at 220. A little wet sauce the whole time, baste in some some vinegar/tomato mix every 1-2 hours, and 8-9 hours later they were at 210. Again, not fall off the bone and the bark from the sauce was very weird.

CRYSTAl!! The only as far as I’m concerned when putting on food. Texas Pete to cook !! 😂
For me, Franks trumps Crystal. I was introduced to Franks Hot Sauce by a guy from Buffalo NY when I lived Charleston. Franks is coming extremely close to being my generic over Texas Pete. Texas Pete is holding strong on my pimento cheese burgers.

For me, Franks trumps Crystal. I was introduced to Franks Hot Sauce by a guy from Buffalo NY when I lived Charleston. Franks is coming extremely close to being my generic over Texas Pete. Texas Pete is holding strong on my pimento cheese burgers.
I tried Franks while making hot wings and did not the same flavor profile I’m accustomed and never used as a go to again. Might have to revisit after your comments!! I do like Frank’s in crock pot Buffalo chicken dip!!! Off the chain for a cold tailgate!!

Brisket is tough!! Check out the coffee rub in Traeger recipes . I’ve tried twice with no disappointment at all!! My father in law cooks the best ribs ever !! Slices bell pepper and onion adds seasoning salt and a few pads of butter and wraps in tinfoil. Cooks about 1 hour on grill
in own juice. Will be done when unwrap put back on grill and smoke til desired temperature. You won’t be disappointed!!

I do my brisket on the pellet grill. Rub down with your choice of rubs the night before, coating with mustard. 225 until internal temp at 165, spraying with apple juice every hour. Foil and take to 205. Rest in foil and covered with old towel 2-3 hours. Then slice thin. It always comes out perfect.

IMO, the key to getting anything large (butt, brisket, etc) done properly is a good temp probe.

Reactions: vehemon and Tmac069
I’ll probably work on my farmers tan out in the parking lot pre game. I’m fully expecting a scorcher….95 degrees or so.
We used to throw some pretty elaborate tailgates in terms of number of people to feed so we went with the have a boatload of different items gameplan.

My favorites from those years

Boudin sausage grilled pimento cheese on Texas toast

Fried Mac n cheese with Cheeto dust as the breading (yes you put Cheetos in a food processor)

Chicken Bog

Walking Frito or Dorito tacos

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I tried Franks while making hot wings and did not the same flavor profile I’m accustomed and never used as a go to again. Might have to revisit after your comments!! I do like Frank’s in crock pot Buffalo chicken dip!!! Off the chain for a cold tailgate!!
Texas Pete for;
  • Pimento cheese hamburgers
  • Oysters on a cracker
  • Base I use for whitefish sauce (There's an old bay hot sauce out now that matches my recipe)
  • Oyster shooters
  • Tomato bisque
  • Black Eyed Peas
Franks Hot Sauce
  • Hot dogs
  • Buffalo dip
  • Jazz up some tequila mexican sauce
  • Bourbon sauce mix for wings
  • Oyster rockafella
  • Shealeys Catfish Stew
Sriracha/Kimchi Base
  • Spring rolls
  • Sushi
  • Black Eyed Peas Caviar

Trying to find a right mix for some siracha or kimchi base wings.

Brisket is tough!! Check out the coffee rub in Traeger recipes . I’ve tried twice with no disappointment at all!! My father in law cooks the best ribs ever !! Slices bell pepper and onion adds seasoning salt and a few pads of butter and wraps in tinfoil. Cooks about 1 hour on grill
in own juice. Will be done when unwrap put back on grill and smoke til desired temperature. You won’t be disappointed!!
I think this is similar to what was suggested to me for my next attempt.
I'm getting the temp right but having to open it up too much to keep it from getting dry.

If you are wanting to be lazy; i think most grocery stories now have premade franks hot sauce buffalo dip that's actually not that bad.

If you are wanting to be lazy; i think most grocery stories now have premade franks hot sauce buffalo dip that's actually not that bad.
The Members Mark brand from Sams is great as well. We always have that and Jalapeno Palmetto Cheese in the refrigerator. We don't snack much, but that's what we have when we do.

HT in Charlotte has hot sauce already in the cane for sardines. Not too bad.

Question is what TYPE of hot sauce?
I'm building up an interesting rotation on how I like to use;
  • Texas Pete
  • Frank's Hot Sauce
  • Sriracha
  • Kimchi Base
Have you ever tried Louisiana hot sauce, it is my favorite of all on your list and worth a try.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT