ADVERTISEMENT

I was kind of pulling for Tiger to make a nice run today, but he makes it

I don't agree with that description of him. He just expects perfection on every shot. And when it doesn't happen, he expresses his disappointment. I can relate to him. He's not spoiled...he just expects more of himself.

Re: However, the language he uses in public to express himself is not okay.****

A couple of thrown clubs & numerous profanities...looks like he's back to his old form.

Originally posted by Cola G'Cock:
nm
Doesn't bother me. There are many others across all sports who are worse...

Golf has always been a gentlemen's sport...and the pro tour should keep it that way. Profanity is nothing new, but throwing clubs and pitching fits...

...so Caddy Shackish.

Never liked the boy. Respect him for his game but he's a headcase and an idiot.

Originally posted by cockn'fyr:
really hard for me to! He's still a spoiled brat!
Spoiled? Really?

Maybe he can be abrasive or emotional, but I don't think that spoiled is accurate. He earned his place, expects a lot from himself, and is willing to work harder than anyone else to win.

He is working out at the gym my son works at. He is very intense. Comes in without anyone else...unless it is Lindsey. I think golf needs him. Hope he is able to continue playing.

I expect people not to understand his competitiveness. Most are not as competitive as he is. Not sure how his personal life has anything to do with his golf. Good enough not to like him, but that about it.

He's good for golf right now...

His personal life has everything to do with his golf game. Once his extracurriculars came to light, his exterior started to crumble and his game suffered in kind. He's still a very private person but the public and his closest competitors know he's damaged and have taken full advantage. That and the fact there are many great golfers now who exude a similar attitude/air of invincibility. And maybe it's just a confidence thing from the up-and-comers, but it's nonetheless refreshing to see those atop the leaderboard not fall apart at the mere mention of Tiger's name.

This post was edited on 4/11 7:43 PM by ibleedgarnet

Originally posted by ibleedgarnet:
His personal life has everything to do with his golf game. Once his extracurriculars came to light, his exterior started to crumble and his game suffered in kind. He's still a very private person but the public and his closest competitors know he's damaged and have taken full advantage. That and the fact there are many great golfers now who exude a similar attitude/air of invincibility. And maybe it's just a confidence thing from the up-and-comers, but it's nonetheless refreshing to see those atop the leaderboard not fall apart at the mere mention of Tiger's name.

This post was edited on 4/11 7:43 PM by ibleedgarnet
My comment was not about his personal life in relation to his performance. And I totally disagree with you. Today's up and coming stars couldn't care less about Tiger Woods. Since they've been a factor, Tiger has not been relevant. They don't know what it's like to be on the course competing against Tiger Woods. They've only seen it on TV. Most of the guys at the top of the leaderboard these days weren't around back in 2010.

Originally posted by Sending an SOS:
I expect people not to understand his competitiveness. Most are not as competitive as he is. Not sure how his personal life has anything to do with his golf. Good enough not to like him, but that about it.

His early wins fueled an ego his dad fueled. He was a dick to everyone not kissing his butt. He got accolades for being the best for a long while, deservedly so. Turns out not to be long enough to be the absolute best.

Anyone play golf with an 18 handicap who gets pissed and tosses clubs after every non perfect hit. Yea that guy. Tiger is that guy at the pro level. He is no more who he imagines he is in his head and continues to be the ass as he was trained to be. Most highly competitive folks are also gracious in defeat. Tiger may be good for ratings but is a pathetic example of a sportsman. I have no ill will against him and am fine if he wins this week but he is still an emotional infant.

I'm just glad our fans don't act like him when our baseball team is struggling. Oh wait....

Originally posted by USC92EEPE:

His early wins fueled an ego his dad fueled. He was a dick to everyone not kissing his butt. He got accolades for being the best for a long while, deservedly so. Turns out not to be long enough to be the absolute best.

Anyone play golf with an 18 handicap who gets pissed and tosses clubs after every non perfect hit. Yea that guy. Tiger is that guy at the pro level. He is no more who he imagines he is in his head and continues to be the ass as he was trained to be. Most highly competitive folks are also gracious in defeat. Tiger may be good for ratings but is a pathetic example of a sportsman. I have no ill will against him and am fine if he wins this week but he is still an emotional infant.
Gosh, this defines spoiled brat to me!

I'm still pulling for Tiger. I could careless what he does at home. I'm more concerned about how well he does in these major tournaments. Besides these same guys criticizing Tiger for these extra marital affairs are probably doing or have done the same.

Honestly, I think it's a personality sort of thing. Just because you can't identify with it, doesn't mean it's wrong. Some people just expect to be great at everything - perfectionists are an example. And when things go wrong, it gets them mad. I only say this because I tend to be like that as well. If Tiger is anything like me, he doesn't care who approves of him. I don't think Tiger isn't gracious in defeat. He's going to be devastated that he lost, but it's not like he makes excuses for himself or degrades a winner. To call him an emotional infant is short sided. For many years his ability to handle his emotions in pressure situations led to his success. Just because he is expressive on the course, it doesn't mean he doesn't know how to handle his emotions.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:57 AM by Sending an SOS

Like him or not...he is responsible for changing the game of golf for the better.
I mean...they changed the length and setup at Augusta National because of this guy.
All the purses have millions of dollars more as a result of his emergence in the game.

Golf is more interesting when Tiger is "around."

It would be good if he didn't say f"ing God" on an open mic after his tee shot yesterday.

Most of the guys at the top of the leaderboard these days weren't around back in 2010.
In a way, Tiger is a victim of his own success. He was being molded into a future professional golfer when he was 4 years old at a time when other kids his age weren't. Now, nearly 20 years after he turned pro, all those kids who were toddlers when he was winning his first Masters have grown up. Now, he's a 40 year old golfer trying to compete against a bunch of 20-something products of the "Tiger Generation" of golfers.

As for his competitiveness, Tiger Woods is neither the first nor last golfer to be extremely competitive. Don't think for a second that guys like Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and a lot of other golfers to come before Tiger didn't burn at their core when they finished 2nd in a tournament. But they knew that being competitive and being an ass weren't the same thing.

Originally posted by nikolas22:
He is working out at the gym my son works at. He is very intense. Comes in without anyone else...unless it is Lindsey. I think golf needs him. Hope he is able to continue playing.
I'm not a golf fan by any measure, but if golf needs him, then it's in a sad state of affairs. That's just mho though. I do have to ask... why do you think that golf needs Woods??? Is it because he is black?? Or because he generates a lot of publicity, both good and bad??

Originally posted by dcdayday:
I'm still pulling for Tiger. I could careless what he does at home. I'm more concerned about how well he does in these major tournaments. Besides these same guys criticizing Tiger for these extra marital affairs are probably doing or have done the same.
The problem I have with this kind of post is the people accepting Tiger's recent results and behavior and the posts dumping on our own in football, baseball and men's basketball. He's had his day in the sun and was never graceful about it whether winning or losing. The King is dead, long live the King, whomever he may be.

Athletes with exceptional talent misusing it and never reaching their full potential is not unique. I'd rather look at the crowd and see what others are doing than always needing to be so aware of Tiger. None of the young guys are afraid of or in awe of him anymore. I find that refreshing and a welcome change from the last decade.

It's Golf! Not Hockey, Football or basketball. No one should be intimidated in golf anyway.

All he needs is some HGH and a couple of Waffle House waitresses to bang. He'll be back to old form in no time.

Originally posted by GamecockTripp:
All he needs is some HGH and a couple of Waffle House waitresses to bang. He'll be back to old form in no time.
Ain't going to happen. That is, the getting back to old form part. Never has and never will and he is still a whining spoiled brat..

Aw, come on. He can just pop his finger back in. LMAO at that idiot.
roll.r191677.gif

As long as Tiger is playing - he's great for the sport. Look at how there's this much conversation there is about a guy that finished tied for 17th. Everyone who has a financial stake in the PGA being successful loves to have him around (even the players).

Originally posted by ToddFlanders:
As long as Tiger is playing - he's great for the sport. Look at how there's this much conversation there is about a guy that finished tied for 17th. Everyone who has a financial stake in the PGA being successful loves to have him around (even the players).
And Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds were good for the bottom line also. Lance Armstrong was great for the tour. At least Lance could argue that EVERYONE was doing it. How many of Tiger's fellow players were juicing?

Did you see him hurt his hand in the pine straw Sunday? He chucked a shot from where he should not have been and had his caddy fish around in the pine straw as if he hit something other than a bad shot. Tiger 10 years ago would have chewed up and spit out his current self. And made jokes to his caddy (and ho) about how pathetic this old dude is. That's your hero.

And Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds were good for the bottom line also. Lance Armstrong was great for the tour. At least Lance could argue that EVERYONE was doing it. How many of Tiger's fellow players were juicing?

Did you see him hurt his hand in the pine straw Sunday? He chucked a shot from where he should not have been and had his caddy fish around in the pine straw as if he hit something other than a bad shot. Tiger 10 years ago would have chewed up and spit out his current self. And made jokes to his caddy (and ho) about how pathetic this old dude is. That's your hero.
Let me guess: Tiger slept with your wife?

Final refuge for the guy that lost the argument. Pathetic.

Originally posted by sandlapper59:

No. I just find it funny how people get so angry at a golfer. That's what is pathetic.

No. I just find it funny how people get so angry at a golfer. That's what is pathetic.
When the hole is already too deep, the smart thing is to stop digging. No one was angry, just disagreeing with you.

When the hole is already too deep, the smart thing is to stop digging. No one was angry, just disagreeing with you.

Didn't mean to repeat but the devil made me do it.

This post was edited on 4/14 8:26 AM by sandlapper59

Originally posted by sandlapper59:

Didn't mean to repeat but the devil made me do it.

This post was edited on 4/14 8:26 AM by sandlapper59
I wasn't claiming you were angry, but the poster to whom my original comment was directed (then you felt the need to interject yourself).

It's clear by the writing that was my intention - so maybe you're right, you should stop digging.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT