ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Desmond to skip 2020 MLB season

I read the article. What immediately jumps out to me is if he wants to skip the season, he really needs to spend the summer talking with a therapist. He has very deep issues going all the way back to his childhood.

MLB has been desperately trying to boost black involvement in the game for many years, particularly in inner cities. It’s a hard sell. Kids can play basketball 24 hours a day. Kids can lean on football, because they can get a full ride. That means a lot to kids from tough environments, you have to remember Javon Kinlaw went to JUCO solely because he was homeless and he’d have a roof over his head. He moved on to us, now he’s a millionaire.

Baseball? Many parks have basketball hoops wide open for use, while baseball fields are in disrepair or have the gates locked. You can dribble or shoot hoops by yourself, baseball not so much.

Baseball in the US costs money to play, and money for access to scouts. Brandon McIlwains parents were able to buy access for him to events while he was in HS, which raised his potential in eyes of scouts, who are under pressure to sign black athletes. He really didn’t stand out here, really didn’t stand out at Cal, but now he’s been drafted. I hope he’s successful, but realistically he’ll likely struggle.

Travel baseball costs money, for the better teams it costs big money. When my nephew was playing years ago at the highest level of the East Cobb organization in HS, they played teams who would fly in extra pitchers if they were in a tournament and were running short.

When my oldest son was a Sophomore in HS, he travelled to Puerto Rico to play against a lineup of very good teams. Like the Dominican Republic, baseball is life there. When you fly in and circle the island, what stands out is the number of baseball fields. It’s a way for kids in poverty to escape the island and have a better life. There are former MLB prospects/ players scouting and coaching, the better players are identified young and groomed with other great players.

MLB has staffed academies in the Dominican, likewise identifying players young. They’ll sign prospects at 16, some for big money, some for pennies on the dollar. Most wash out.

Lots of reasons black kids don’t gravitate to baseball, just like few black kids gravitate to golf, tennis, soccer, etc. There are tons of reasons, some logistical, some socioeconomical, some financial, some just preference. Maybe MLB needs to stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

You and I must be reading different articles. I see a player who has reflected on his personal experiences in life and where things stand in his life today. I see a man who wants to make a difference. He is willing to forego his salary to be there for his family and to serve his community to make baseball more accessible. Everyone should applaud his efforts. He is not in hiding from the Covid. He is putting the interest of his family and community in front of his baseball career (this year).

IF you compare his path for change versus Kaep, what do you see? One is out of a sport and profiting personally from his stance. The other chose to sit out and make a difference on his own dime. One has been divisive and the other is looking to unite. One empowered an already entitled generation to protest to get their way. The other is a role model of a different mold that says through his actions that he is going to make a difference and willingly sacrificed financially.

Give me hundreds of Ian Desmonds and I think we will see a much better world. (Baseball aside)

You and I must be reading different articles. I see a player who has reflected on his personal experiences in life and where things stand in his life today. I see a man who wants to make a difference. He is willing to forego his salary to be there for his family and to serve his community to make baseball more accessible. Everyone should applaud his efforts. He is not in hiding from the Covid. He is putting the interest of his family and community in front of his baseball career (this year).

IF you compare his path for change versus Kaep, what do you see? One is out of a sport and profiting personally from his stance. The other chose to sit out and make a difference on his own dime. One has been divisive and the other is looking to unite. One empowered an already entitled generation to protest to get their way. The other is a role model of a different mold that says through his actions that he is going to make a difference and willingly sacrificed financially.

Give me hundreds of Ian Desmonds and I think we will see a much better world. (Baseball aside)

I'm just not sure the things he sees as needing to change really need to change. I mean, it's great if they do. It's just not a big deal.

You can say that about most of the sports. It takes a lot of money to send your kid to camps for any of the sports. The kids who are truly good spend all their time with private coaches, going to camps, etc. In any sport.
I don't of any Sports you would thousands on for 8 year olds in the Summer, except maybe Golf.

I'm just not sure the things he sees as needing to change really need to change. I mean, it's great if they do. It's just not a big deal.

I hope that I have not come across as fully agreeing with his thoughts. I do however applaud his efforts and his way of trying to make a change.

In sports and life, I believe that the best person available should get the job. For baseball if more black players like Desmond want to see more black athletes involved in the game, then I can agree with his way of going about it.

It doesn’t appear that he is trying to make some political stand, protest for personal hype, or to insight others. If this is all true, I fully appreciate his way of going about trying to make the change he wants to see. He loves baseball and wants to see others have the same opportunity. The game has obviously been good to him and he wants that for others. Good for him.

I don’t have to agree with the narrative he is putting out to appreciate the way he is going about his business of trying to make a difference.

Seems to make a difference he should play and donate his salary to youth baseball leagues that serve primarily minority communities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT