ADVERTISEMENT

If the ESPN fpi is correct and the Gamecocks finish 5 and 7

5-7 would be a disappointment, and should make Muschamp's seat warm. We're supposed to be getting better, and if we aren't catching the big boys, we should at least be cementing ourselves in the second tier. 5-7 is not doing that at all. 7-5 would be a disappointment, but at least tells us we are in the right area, and poised to move up a little. 5-7 would be a step back and would establish us below Tenn, UK, FLA, and maybe Mizzou. That's not acceptable.

5-7 will lead to 3-9 the next year as we will officially be a sinking ship. I don't think CWM has shown any reason to believe he can turn his own regression around. I am hoping for 7-5 or better for both CWM and USC's sake. We play in the SEC and should have a tough schedule every year, so schedule should never be an excuse.

I'm leaning to a 7-5 season, but a 5-7 would not seem that far fetched either. CWM's seat would definitely be warm, but not enough to force the board to make any changes.
I want CWM to succeed but at the end of the day he is employee (albeit a high profile one ) that should have to perform to a set standard and if that is not met then changes should be warranted. Just like everyone else in the job market.

5-7 only seems possible if the injury bug hits you.
7-5 feels realistic.
8-4 would be a huge step in the right direction for a Muschamp led team, because that means he beat 1-2 ranked teams. (FWIW this is where I think you guys will end up, and if you don't end up here there should be serious concerns about Muschamps ability to steward talent and a coaching staff)
9-3 means you guys beat some really good teams, and probably means Jake Bentley plays like a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. I don't think this is possible if you are having to rely on one of the back-ups.
10-2...This would be as impressive as any season Spurrier ever put together at Carolina.
11-1 means you only lost to Clemson ;)
12-0 is not possible. No way I will even entertain the idea :)

I see 7 wins on the schedule. But the ball sure can bounce funny. A couple of the wins I see are not gimmes.

Reactions: ezcock
The computer predicted us to be a better team but having a worse record, because of our schedule.

Moral victories don't matter. Our football program needs to get better. That will never happen if we go 5-7 every year because "we have a tough schedule". Muschamp needs to do better, and if it were up to me he needs to do it this season. If he goes 5-7 this year, his seat better be more than just "warm". We've been told he's a great recruiter. How? He got a 5* that grew up a USC fan? You can't tell me that UNC and GT aren't about to make it that much harder to get good recruits to come here. He has 0% chance if they show potential in their first season with new coaches while Muschamp is established and goes 5-7. I'm tired of the "wait until next year" BS. I love my Gamecocks, but damn...

Rant over.

Off the top, you've losses to UGA, Bama and Clemson. That means our absolute most ridiculously successful season would put us at 9-3. Then you've got A&M (loss until proven otherwise) and UF (tossup). That would put us at 8-4, if you throw us the UF game. Then you have the UK game, which currently has to sit in the "loss until proven otherwise" category as well. All of that, I see 7-5 as the most realistic outcome. 6-6 or worse means regression. 8-4 or better means progress. 7-5 means we're standing pat.

Worst case scenario would have us losing to UF and UK to drop us to that 6-6 mark.

Of course, all the calculus changes if we stumble out of the gate against UNC. Lose that game and it's a 4 win season most likely.

Last edited:
8-4 we lose to TXAm, Georgia, Bama, Clemson.

Why do you think you lose to A&M? They are very beatable. Mond isn't that good especially behind a porous o-line. If he gets hurt they don't have a qb who has thrown more than 1 pas in their career. They have no one at TE as Sternberger is gone and their best running back got 341 yards last season (losing a really good one to the NFL). Only wr is solid. I predict A&M as your upset (probably offset by losing to someone you shouldn't, my guess Tennessee).

Why do you think you lose to A&M? They are very beatable. Mond isn't that good especially behind a porous o-line. If he gets hurt they don't have a qb who has thrown more than 1 pas in their career. They have no one at TE as Sternberger is gone and their best running back got 341 yards last season (losing a really good one to the NFL). Only wr is solid. I predict A&M as your upset (probably offset by losing to someone you shouldn't, my guess Tennessee).
Any Sec venue is tough on the road,other than Vandy.

Tennessee is a wild card here for sure. Looking back at our last 7 matchups with them:

2012: 38-35 (W)
2013: 21-23 (L)
2014: 42-45 (L)
2015: 24-27 (L)
2016: 24-21 (W)
2017: 15-9 (W)
2018: 27-24 (W)

That's 7 games with an average margin of victory 3.28 points. An asterisk: that includes our goal line stand from the one foot line or whatever in the 15-9 game, so that game was closer than the 6 point margin would indicate (if that's even possible).

There has really been very little separation between us and UT over the past 7 seasons. We've eked out wins the last 3 seasons so we've gotten a little complacent in assuming a win, but we go back to Knoxville this year and losing this one would not surprise me at all.

Moral victories don't matter. Our football program needs to get better. That will never happen if we go 5-7 every year because "we have a tough schedule". Muschamp needs to do better, and if it were up to me he needs to do it this season. If he goes 5-7 this year, his seat better be more than just "warm". We've been told he's a great recruiter. How? He got a 5* that grew up a USC fan? You can't tell me that UNC and GT aren't about to make it that much harder to get good recruits to come here. He has 0% chance if they show potential in their first season with new coaches while Muschamp is established and goes 5-7. I'm tired of the "wait until next year" BS. I love my Gamecocks, but damn...

Rant over.

Moral victories? I just stated a fact. Their computer model has us as an improved team but playing a tough record. They're not predicting us to be 5-7 as an indication of us headed into the toilet, as some have said here.

Reactions: Cockadoodle4
I'm sure it does. Does it mean 3-9 the following year?

Maybe. We went from 9 wins in 2017 to 7 wins last year. 5 wins this year would make it a trend, so it wouldn't be completely illogical to think 3 wins the following year.

I don't think we're gonna go 5-7 this season, but it only means bad things if we do.

If we make significant improvement next year, we will see it. It won't be hidden behind a bad record.

I agree. Need to see it on the final record. I don't want any of the excuses we had for some of Frank's basketball teams. "It doesn't show in the record, but they sure play with a lot of spunk!"

8-4 we lose to TXAm, Georgia, Bama, Clemson.
UGA, Bama, and Clemson are clearly better than us. But if a GOOD team gets three shots at great teams, chances are pretty good they will upset one of them. That's a sign of being a good team. Or perhaps they lose all three in hard fought battles, but beat 2nd tier teams like UF and A&M. But any team that loses all 5 games to teams with superior talent was probably never that good to begin with.

I think some people on here need to stop qualifying their opinion like it’s a fact. Can Will get us to another level, the jury is still out. If we go 5-7, I think we should very well be concerned. But he took over a sh!t show and has averaged 7.3 wins per year for his first three years. You can build on that.

Now, like any coach, he needs to do it. We’ll know for sure if we are trending correctly after this season.

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7

Rant over.
^^^This.

Reactions: uscalumni
I'll say it again...8-4 or better is the only thing I will except from this team. It's time for this team to turn the corner, and with the players we have on offensive this team should average around 35 pts a game. The only games I will except as losses is Bama, UGA, and Clemson...we need to go 1-1 against UF and A&M.

Chicken Little just called and said he wanted his job back. ;)

Somebody play Take It Easy on the jukebox.

“Nothing is as good as it seems, and nothing is as bad as it seems. Somewhere in between lies realty.” ― Lou Holtz

I see us winning six games, seven if we stay healthy and 8 if we get lucky. We need to get early leads, rest our guys and get the backups in. Vandy and Akron were the only games where we had decent leads going into the fourth quarter. But our schedule is very difficult.

Prediction within reason. I figure 6-6 or 7-5. Could be 8-4 if all went perfectly. If the wheels came off could be 4-8. Prediction just depends mainly on how folks view the toss up type games. Mainly Kentucky (which for another season many here seem to circle as a sure victory), and Tennessee

I'll say it again...8-4 or better is the only thing I will except from this team. It's time for this team to turn the corner, and with the players we have on offensive this team should average around 35 pts a game. The only games I will except as losses is Bama, UGA, and Clemson...we need to go 1-1 against UF and A&M.

Love your optimism my friend but I think you are in for a long Season . We have not beaten Kentucky is half a decade and never beat TAMU and honestly I’m not convinced we are that much better than Mizzou or UT this year . I will be pleasantly surprised with 6-6 or 7-5 and unfortunately I think that is our ceiling with the current staff going forward. That’s just my gut feeling . I’ve unfortunately come to terms with the fact that we are a middle of the road program with a middle of the road head coach an AD . Spurrier , love him or hate him was a force of Nature and we caught the last good football he had left but I’m afraid now we are kinda where we have been for most of our existence.

If some of our opposition rise to higher levels we could end up 6-6 or 5-7 and it not be a terrible season.

Alabama, Georgia, Florida, A&M and Clemson could all be top 10 teams. That's 5 losses. Then there's UK, UT, Mizzo and UNC. Any of those could be a surprise team. Lose 1 and it's 6-6. Lose 2 of them and it's 5-7.

On the other hand, We get UF at home. Catch someone else napping and win the ones we should win and there's 8 wins.

I'm not pinning everything on this coming season or expecting great achievements. But the following season should be 8 wins or 2021 is going to be very uncomfortable for this staff.

Yeah! We beat UK!

In case you did not see the article:

Btw, why do we beat UK this year?

#########################

What do ESPN's computers think of Gamecocks in 2019?

As the 2019 football season inches ever closer, ESPN.com updated its Football Power Index this week and the Gamecocks are considered one of the Top 25 teams in the country.

According to the company's website, the FPI is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. During the season, it is updated daily.

This preseason's FPI ranks the Gamecocks as the No. 18 team in the country and the No. 8 team in the SEC. It should come as no surprise that ESPN also ranks the Gamecocks' schedule as the toughest in the country. Because of that, the FPI's simulation projects a record of just 6.1 - 5.9.

South Carolina's 2019 schedule - Win percentage via FPI

vs. North Carolina - 77.1%
Charleston Southern - 99.3%
Alabama - 17.5%
@ Mizzou - 41%
Kentucky - 74.5%
@ Georgia - 20.1%
Florida - 42.3%
@ Tennessee - 37%
Vandy - 77.2%
App State - 85.8%
@ Texas A&M - 26.2%