ADVERTISEMENT

If we win out... we will be, at worst, co-SEC champs...

Just for tiebreaker purposes for seeding for tournament:
Don’t have tiebreaker-Alabama and Auburn. Need these two to finish below us
Do have tiebreaker-Kentucky and Florida
Have tiebreaker now but need to win to keep it-Tennessee
Not sure about 3 way ties.

Almost hope that doesn't happen.

If we win the SEC after being projected to finish last, mainstream media will have that in the headlines for a month and it will be more difficult to retain this coaching staff.
I’d pull for the banner. It’s rare we get to put one up but I certainly get your concern. The one concern I have is that we would have a bigger target in the sec/ncaa tournament. We still take people by surprise. Florida fans are in melt down mode for “blowing the game” against us.

Almost hope that doesn't happen.

If we win the SEC after being projected to finish last, mainstream media will have that in the headlines for a month and it will be more difficult to retain this coaching staff.

That cat is already out of the bag. Might as well get what we can now and hope maybe we can talk him into staying.

That cat is already out of the bag. Might as well get what we can now and hope maybe we can talk him into staying.
I think as long as the money is there he stays. For one, we gave Lamont his first high D1 opportunity. Second, he’s already built it here so why leave to rebuild something else. Third I think we would give him as many years if not more than elsewhere so job stability isn’t an issue.

Ironically a lot of people tagged him with the Ohio state job but the interim coach is doing a good job and they could very well play themselves back into bubble talk if they make a run in the Big 10 tournament.

Reactions: Ward Jr
On the positive: The schools who are in a position to outbid us (e.g. Ohio State, etc) don't typically hire coaches who only have one standout season to point in P5 play. It could be easily considered an aberration where the stars simply aligned. It's too big of a risk for them to sell to fans -- especially in terms of the big contract. A "Worst to First" news spin cycle could have them reaching though.

Some things work in our favor. One of those is that you can win big here. McGuire proved it. Fogler proved it (only to blow it at the Big Dance). And in recent years, Martin proved it with the FF run. The basketball facility here is good. Fans have come to the games this season, proving a winner will be supported. And I would not discount the great relationship Lamont has with Dawn. They support each other and are good sounding boards when issues arise within their respective teams. So, they help each other.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Some things work in our favor. One of those is that you can win big here. McGuire proved it. Fogler proved it (only to blow it at the Big Dance). And in recent years, Martin proved it with the FF run. The basketball facility here is good. Fans have come to the games this season, proving a winner will be supported. And I would not discount the great relationship Lamont has with Dawn. They support each other and are good sounding boards when issues arise within their respective teams. So, they help each other.
Players seem to enjoy playing for him. His recruiting efforts should be fruitful in the future. I really like his coaching philosophy.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Players seem to enjoy playing for him. His recruiting efforts should be fruitful in the future. I really like his coaching philosophy.
And Lamont seems like a really easy going good guy. VERY likeable. That has not always been the case with some of our coaches in all our sports.

He's probably a lock for SEC Coach of The Year, and in the running for National Coach of The Year. Interested to see how the contract terms shake out. One would think somewhere in the ballpark of $4.5-5mil w/ 6 years.

Reactions: turncock
He's probably a lock for SEC Coach of The Year, and in the running for National Coach of The Year. Interested to see how the contract terms shake out. One would think somewhere in the ballpark of $4.5-5mil w/ 6 years.
Amazing job by him. This program wasn’t looking good, he brought ‘Em back!! He does w/o doubt deserve COY!!

Last edited:
Probably a good guess for the base with additional incentives for making the post season again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT