ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back any recent President right now

The current Administration did something that will result in unnecessary deaths. They decided that we would not utilize a validated COVID-19 test developed in Germany. The development of the US test had problems and the net result was a 5-6 week delay in test availability. I am a scientist and care nothing about whether the Blues or Reds "win" in politics. The current administration is directly responsible for the delay and, hence, additional mortality. Maybe if Hillary was in charge the same outcome would have occurred but that is a hypothetical.

We have been told for weeks that if you are sick with a fever, stay home and isolate yourself, basically assuming you are positive for coronavirus. You didn't need a test to do what we needed to do to stop this.

If the German testing was the great savior, why is Merkel stating that they expect 70% of Germany will become infected?

And if closing borders is so ineffective like some here claim, why did Germany close their borders yesterday?

Reactions: Jaycee024
Some of y'all talking about FDR. Deer lowered! What's he going to do, put Covid-19 in concentration camps like he did thousands of people because they were Asian, too?

How is he a hero to certain people? Imprisoned thousands of innocent people, turned away Jewish refugees, put an ex-Klansman on the SCOTUS, sold out half of Europe to one of the worst monsters in history.

I guess Canada didn't get the Obama scientist memo about closing the border not making any difference. Or either they just became, according to Biden, really racist overnight.

Trump started doing this 45 days ago. That's make more difference than testing that tells people what they should already know.

Never realized there were this many dumbasses on this forum.

W did such a bang up job following 9/11 that we went to war with a country that had nothing to do with it.

H1N1 has been declared a pandemic for 4 months before Obama declared a national state of emergency, by which time 1000 Americans had died.

JFK? Lmao. Almost everything he did turned to shit. He brought us within a c**t hair of ending the entire world.

Aside from availability of testing-which is somewhat debateable since there WAS available testing that proved to not be totally reliable- Trump has done a good job. The travel bans were a measure that no other president would’ve taken, and that will end up being the main measure that will prevent this from being worse

Never realized there were this many dumbasses on this forum.

W did such a bang up job following 9/11 that we went to war with a country that had nothing to do with it.

H1N1 has been declared a pandemic for 4 months before Obama declared a national state of emergency, by which time 1000 Americans had died.

JFK? Lmao. Almost everything he did turned to shit. He brought us within a c**t hair of ending the entire world.

Aside from availability of testing-which is somewhat debateable since there WAS available testing that proved to not be totally reliable- Trump has done a good job. The travel bans were a measure that no other president would’ve taken, and that will end up being the main measure that will prevent this from being worse

The BIGGEST issue with testing was the FDA's "big government knows better than anybody else" attitude. Once Trump figured out they were incompetent, he stripped them of their control and went to the private sector to get it done. THAT was the reason for the delay, not Trump's decision making.

Not ideal, but a very good example why government bureaucrats shouldn't be running our healthcare.

The BIGGEST issue with testing was the FDA's "big government knows better than anybody else" attitude. Once Trump figured out they were incompetent, he stripped them of their control and went to the private sector to get it done. THAT was the reason for the delay, not Trump's decision making.

Not ideal, but a very good example why government bureaucrats shouldn't be running our healthcare.

Totally agree. No president is perfect, especially in these sorts of unforeseen catastrophes. But his response has been as good or better as literally any other modern president’s would’ve been. And one good thing is that he’s not completely beholden to China the way every other president has been for decades (including the one whose going to be the Democratic nominee), so when this is all over maybe he’ll actually hold them accountable.

Below is a quote from you toward a poster on another thread. It appears you are personally exempt from your outrage over personal insults.

I’m not exempt at all.

To me there is a big difference in calling someone’s “take” or “opinion” stupid or crazy and calling them a “complete moron” or another disparaging name.

anyone of us can have a nutty take/opinion to someone else from time to time. That’s ripping someone’s opinion, not them. That’s quite different than calling someone a “complete moron” or a disparaging name

I’m just glad the current administration has backed off its assertion from a couple of weeks ago that this was a hoax. I’m also glad that they allow scientists to immediately refute anything the president says as he shoots from the hip about science. We’ll be a lot safer now that it appears someone is in charge.

That said, I wouldn’t take Obama - he projected as a good leader (great orator), but didn’t really accomplish much. Not sure how he would do in a real emergency. W was a disaster after 9/11. If he were in charge Chaney would have him declare war on Iraq again so his Halliburton stock would go up. I think I’d go with Clinton. He would definitely get the job done as he couldn’t take more than a couple of weeks of “social distancing” from the interns.

Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
My 1 political post, if you watch any of the 24/ "news" channels. You are only getting half the story. And if you watch Lawrence O'Donald or Sean Hannity every night. You are just sheep.

I’m just glad the current administration has backed off its assertion from a couple of weeks ago that this was a hoax. I’m also glad that they allow scientists to immediately refute anything the president says as he shoots from the hip about science. We’ll be a lot safer now that it appears someone is in charge.

That said, I wouldn’t take Obama - he projected as a good leader (great orator), but didn’t really accomplish much. Not sure how he would do in a real emergency. W was a disaster after 9/11. If he were in charge Chaney would have him declare war on Iraq again so his Halliburton stock would go up. I think I’d go with Clinton. He would definitely get the job done as he couldn’t take more than a couple of weeks of “social distancing” from the interns.

I wouldn't necessarily take Obama either, but he has a more calming appearance, voice, and demeanor, so I think hearing him speak about it would be more psychologically soothing. I know that sounds superficial, but I think it's true and would quell some of this panic. Pence has that, and I think that's part of the reason why people think he's doing a pretty good job, even those that have political differences with him.

The things he has done, anybody could do. Pick judges off of a Federalist Society list, check. You could do that. Tax cut. Every Republican President does that. True tests like with healthcare have been a failure. Anything where he has had to put together a coalition of votes has fallen apart. He even couldn't keep himself out of trouble after the Mueller Report and Russia. Instead of accepting his victory, he keeps pushing and needs Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham save him. No objective person, even if you like Trump, can truly say he is not going to do something else incredibly stupid if re-elected. Truly the Dallas Cowboys of politics, an accident waiting to happen.
During the election there were 3 things people kept saying about Trump and why they were voting for him.
1. He's a successful business man and not a politician.
2. He's a billionaire.
3. He speaks his mind.
None of those things meant he was going to be effective at running the country. The first 2 are even debatable because nobody knows his worth and it has been stated that he reported income losses for 10 years straight. Trump is good at selling himself. He BS'd his way onto the Forbes billionaire list in the 80s by claiming to own properties he didn't. He keeps saying how great he is until people start to believe it. He has other people talk about how great he is. He is just like the guys on those late night infomercials selling get rich quick schemes.

I’m not exempt at all.

To me there is a big difference in calling someone’s “take” or “opinion” stupid or crazy and calling them a “complete moron” or another disparaging name.

anyone of us can have a nutty take/opinion to someone else from time to time. That’s ripping someone’s opinion, not them. That’s quite different than calling someone a “complete moron” or a disparaging name

So, I ask again, you support lifting the travel bans from Europe and China, since you claim they don't work? You think it would be fine to go ahead and let me possibly infected people come here?

“Hoax” is certainly not an accurate term, it’s not a hoax. The question is whether or not it was a purposeful action on the part of China. Many think this is a ridiculous conspiracy theory. But after tanking the Chinese economy and forcing them to the table on trade, you really believe Xi wouldn’t sacrifice several thousand of his own people to get back at Trump in an election year? A Chinese billionaire has just disappeared after speaking out against Xi, the regular Chinese people mean less than nothing to him.

The best thing we could possibly do would be to disintangle ourselves from China, which I believe is the main reason Trump is cozying up to India- the world’s largest democratic nation. You really think Trump’s big visit to India coming at the same time as a pandemic virus originating in China was a coincidence?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
During the election there were 3 things people kept saying about Trump and why they were voting for him.
2. He's a billionaire.
3. He speaks his mind.
None of those things meant he was going to be effective at running the country. The first 2 are even debatable because nobody knows his worth and it has been stated that he reported income losses for 10 years straight. Trump is good at selling himself. He BS'd his way onto the Forbes billionaire list in the 80s by claiming to own properties he didn't. He keeps saying how great he is until people start to believe it. He has other people talk about how great he is. He is just like the guys on those late night infomercials selling get rich quick schemes.

Fake news. Even Bloomberg lists Trump's net worth at $2.48 billion. You think Bloomberg is lying for Trump?

And Trump has been very effective. Don't confuse liberal and Democrat whining, crying, and fake outrage as ineffective leadership. They have created as much chaos and stirred up as much hatred as they possibly can.

“Hoax” is certainly not an accurate term, it’s not a hoax. The question is whether or not it was a purposeful action on the part of China. Many think this is a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

Yes, it’s a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

it’s ridiculous on so many levels it’s not even worth discussing seriously. People that believe that just have no clue about China at all other than China is a foreign country. It seems to be a right wing conspiracy theory and exists in those circles where everything is a conspiracy.

Reactions: PalmettoNative

Trump never called the virus a hoax. He called the Democrat lies about his response as hoax.

His exact comments:

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus, you know that, right? Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything. They tried it over and over. They’d been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning. They lost. It’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax.”

He was clearly referring to the Democrat's opinion of his response to the coronavirus, not the virus itself. Unfortunately, the Democrats started lying about it immediately and their liars in the media followed suit as usual. Looks like more than one person believed it.

If you get your news from cable news or talk shows, you are being misled by partisans and ideologues interested in not being honest.

Agreed. To get the full picture you have to step back and gather info from as many sources as you can, then make up your own mind. And I admit, even then, your political views will fill in the gray areas for you.

I make it a point to try to never listen to politicians speaking. A fart would be more informative most of the time. My dad told me when i was a young adult "This ain't our country anymore, if it ever was. There are a lot of things out of your control. So just get busy living your life the best you can while you have it."

it’s ridiculous on so many levels it’s not even worth discussing seriously. People that believe that just have no clue about China at all other than China is a foreign country. It seems to be a right wing conspiracy theory and exists in those circles where everything is a conspiracy.

Again, Trump never called the virus a hoax. And neither Trump or any mainstream conservatives are claiming that China did this on purpose.

And conspiracy theories aren't limited to a few in the right wing, as with this case. The biggest nutjob conspiracy theory EVER was pushed by EVERYONE on the left and the entire liberal media for years, that Trump was a Russian asset and working with Russia to steal an election, and caused more division and hatred than anything I've seen in my lifetime.

Agreed. To get the full picture you have to step back and gather info from as many sources as you can, then make up your own mind. And I admit, even then, your political views will fill in the gray areas for you.

I make it a point to try to never listen to politicians speaking. A fart would be more informative most of the time. My dad told me when i was a young adult "This ain't our country anymore, if it ever was. There are a lot of things out of your control. So just get busy living your life the best you can while you have it."

I agree. I actually get most of my national news from foreign sources that cover events here. Cable news is nothing but entertainment. The sad part is so many people take it seriously despite the hypocrisy of the hosts and how they say totally different things based on who is in the White house - filtered through their own biases.

But the truth is, there is an element of society - sadly- that wants to hear the news told to them by people that are partisan and obviously biased. That would be an interesting psychological study of folks like that. They prefer to hear news told to them by people that are going to seee the news only one way. I assume it comforts them to only see things one way. The other side is always “wrong” and they are somehow “bad” or “not real patriots.”

Last edited:
Slick Willie also slaughtered several hundred people at Waco....
source.gif

I agree. I actually get most of my national news from foreign sources that cover events here. Cable news is nothing but entertainment. The sad part is so many people take it seriously despite the hypocrisy of the hosts and how they say totally different things based on who is in the White house - filtered through their own biases.

I have noticed that as well. It's funny, I said that same thing to my buddy with whom I discuss politics all the time. We don't see eye to eye and we don't insult each other over it. I told him cable news is to news as wrasslin' is to sports. Newstainment for their party faithful. And to form your opinions based off talk show one-liners is ridiculous. Short attention spans is a big problem in our society. I make it a point not to put much faith in humans, especially politicians. And once you're a politician, you can't help but start spinning everything for your own purpose.

Reactions: Rollerdude123

Yet you provide no proof to the contrary. A dictator who would disappear one of his country’s most prominent people over a verbal slight wouldn’t do about anything to get back at a foreign leader they blame for tanking their economy? Get real.

If you think you saw “foreign interference” in 2016c you haven’t seen anything like what you’re about to see to get an avowed globalist like Joe Biden elected.

I have noticed that as well. It's funny, I said that same thing to my buddy with whom I discuss politics all the time. We don't see eye to eye and we don't insult each other over it. I told him cable news is to news as wrasslin' is to sports. Newstainment for their party faithful. I make it a point not to put much faith in humans, especially politicians. And once you're a politician, you can't help but start spinning everything for your own purpose.

Well, I have lost a lot of number of friends in the last 3 years over politics. Several of them just couldn’t accept that I don’t see things 100% like they do regarding the current occupant. It’s odd. Some have even changed their views and the way they talk about other people to match the current occupant. I didn’t change but I’m the bad guy now.

of course I didn’t see things 100% like the former occupant either but they don’t seem to remember that.

I guess I am better off but it’s been a real study in human beings.

My 1 political post, if you watch any of the 24/ "news" channels. You are only getting half the story. And if you watch Lawrence O'Donald or Sean Hannity every night. You are just sheep.

There is no one source of news these days. You have to watch various sources and determine what makes sense and also look at their track record.

But I will say this. There are no better and more honest journalists out there an Martha McCallum and Bret Baier on Fox news. By far, more "fair and balanced" than anybody in the market.

Well, I have lost a lot of number of friends in the last 3 years over politics. Several of them just couldn’t accept that I don’t see things 100% like they do regarding the current occupant. It’s odd. Some have even changed their views and the way they talk about other people to match the current occupant. I didn’t change but I’m the bad guy now.

of course I didn’t see things 100% like the former occupant either but they don’t seem to remember that.

If a friend dumped you because you exercised your constitutional right to vote, they were never your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious
Yet you provide no proof to the contrary. A dictator who would disappear one of his country’s most prominent people over a verbal slight wouldn’t do about anything to get back at a foreign leader they blame for tanking their economy? Get real.

If you think you saw “foreign interference” in 2016c you haven’t seen anything like what you’re about to see to get an avowed globalist like Joe Biden elected.

I don’t think I am the one that has to provide proof of a wild conspiracy theory. That isn’t the way it works.

I can’t help anyone that thinks that the Chinese leader has cooked up a conspiracy like this to damage America, a mess that has caused him serious harm at home, and damaged his own leadership in the communist party. If you think that was intentional and planned as some big plan, no amount of reasonable discussion is going to change your mind.

as I said, there is a wide open space to believe crazy stuff like that on places like InfoWars and alt right wing websites.

Reactions: funktavious
If a friend dumped you because you exercised your constitutional right to vote, they were your friend.

Well, it was more that I didn’t fall in line and accept everything the current occupant was doing and dared criticize him. Criticizing dear leader was a bridge too far. Which was odd because they had plenty of criticism for the previous occupant, as did I. They changed, I didn’t.

the way they talked about other people changed too. Much more demeaning and nasty. I just discovered I really didn’t know them after all.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I don’t think I am the one that has to provide proof of a wild conspiracy theory. That isn’t the way it works.

I can’t help anyone that thinks that the Chinese leader has cooked up a conspiracy like this to damage America, a mess that has caused him serious harm at home, and damaged his own leadership in the communist party. If you think that was intentional and planned as some big plan, no amount of reasonable discussion is going to change your mind.

as I said, there is a wide open space to believe crazy stuff like that on places like InfoWars and alt right wing websites.

China’s economy has tanked over Trump’s trade war. They’ve been defiant in obvious hope that he won’t be re-elected. During the election year, in the midst of primary season as the US economy are reaching alltime highs and Trump’s approval ratings hit alltime highs, a global pandemic originates from China, likely from a Chinese lab. Yeah, that’s a “wild theory”. The wildest part is that you act Xi cares about his people too much to pull such a thing. But again, feel free to ignore the preponderance of evidence.

Well, it was more that I didn’t fall in line and accept everything the current occupant was doing and dared criticize him. Criticizing dear leader was a bridge too far. Which was odd because they had plenty of criticism for the previous occupant, as did I. They changed, I didn’t.

the way they talked about other people changed too. Much more demeaning and nasty. I just discovered I really didn’t know them after all.
I felt it in the other direction with people saying "If you voted this way, unfriend me." I really felt like it was a lose-lose election. But I was flabbergasted that people thought they could demand I vote the way they wanted.

That is such a load of crap. Liberals have been RAILING on conservatives for years. We have been called everything from Hitler to racist to murderers. Remember, GWB was Hitler. So was John McCain until he got butthurt over Trump, then suddenly he was a hero. Romney tried to take the high road and was absolutely destroyed by the left. Harry Reid even admitted he lied about Romney's tax and bragged when asked if he regretted it, saying "He didn't get elected, did he?"

So, don't act all high and mighty running to the left like you are running to some moral high ground, because you aren't. The left has been nasty and hate-filled for a long time, and have an entire media structure set up to support and parrot their vitriol. As conservatives, we have had enough, and with Trump, we found somebody to fight back.

It's funny. You see the left cry about Trump being a "bully". They are so entitled in their hate-filled attacks that they feel that him responding to their attacks is somehow bullying. Rosie O'Donnell is a prime example. He never said anything about her until she mocked him and attacked him on her show for giving Miss Universe a second chance after she got into trouble. But if you listen to the left, he just beat up on poor Rosie. That hag deserved everything he said about that nasty woman. The left, including the media, think they can say anything they want and that Trump somehow doesn't have the right to call them liars or fake news. They are above everyone else. Their opinion is unquestionable and absolute. That might have been the case with Romney, but Trump isn't taking it. And responding it's being a bully or trying to take away the media's First Amendment right. It's HIS right to defend himself.

Some good nominations of former presidents. However, it is granted that there can be missteps in all presidencies. With that said some of these missteps must be studied within the context of the situation and political environment the country was in at that time. It can then be discussed in a better historical perspective.

The states are supposed to develop their own responses. The Feds can't go into states and do it for them. That's the way it's supposed to work legally. Trump can't legally at the Federal level shut down school or businesses in any state. State governments have to do that based on their individual needs.

The Feds did what they are supposed to do. They shut down travel as they saw fit. No response is perfect, but it's certainly better than the nothing responses of the past. If it were left up to Obama and Biden, infected people would still be pouring in this country without any restrictions at all, just like they did the swine flu, and we would have no chance at even slowing this down.

When Trump restricted travel from China, this is what Biden said about it:

"This is no time for Donald Trump’s record of hysteria and xenophobia, hysterical xenophobia, to uh, and fear mongering,"

That's what a jackass Biden is. When Trump was trying to stop this, all Biden could do is call him a racist and saying he was spreading fear.
I fully agree. The state governments need to work together with the federal government to address this situation. It is really more up to the states since most states have different situations and different issues. For example: the issues in Montanna are not the same as those in New York.

Trump......and I would punish those slant eyes across the Pacific Ocean as physically and financially as humanly possible. They can't keep doing this crap and putting our citizens at risk. I'm not a hating person, but I can't stand that country or its citizens. They can keep their bat shit over there.

Sometimes I read and listen to things and wonder if the people communicating it really believe it or if they are just so committed to not acknowledging truth that they’ll believe anything to not lay blame where it lies.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
2. He's a billionaire.
3. He speaks his mind.
Yet, Trump has done a great job and is handling this current crisis quite well.

And yet much of the opinions being repeated here is coming directly from one of those great sources of misinformation.

Reactions: PalmettoNative
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT