ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back any recent President right now

Sep 15, 2016
Who would it be?

I realize this is a sports forum, but I’m just trying to pass the time like the rest of you.

No matter who you voted for in 2016, I imagine that most of us would pick someone else to handle this crisis. For instance, I would take George W in a heartbeat right now. I thought he handled post 9/11 pretty well.

Reactions: Fearless Gamecock
Reagan- he had real empathy and it showed in his face when he spoke.

I think Pence has done good when he’s allowed to be in control. He’s much better than Trump at this stuff and I really believe he’s worried about ALL the American people, not just his supporters. I wish he was doing all the talking and coordinating.

George W Bush in crises mode was very solid. He projected empathy but determination and he didn’t get caught up in name calling or blame games. He took charge but he never acted as if he was the smartest guy in the room. He let his experts do their thing and he stayed out of their way (maybe too much sometimes but in crises, he played it right)

Who would it be?

I realize this is a sports forum, but I’m just trying to pass the time like the rest of you.

No matter who you voted for in 2016, I imagine that most of us would pick someone else to handle this crisis. For instance, I would take George W in a heartbeat right now. I thought he handled post 9/11 pretty well.

Thomas Jefferson.

Maybe then we could get this country thoroughly "correct" in all facets from the get go!!

SmokinSmile

Man come on now!! That was merely a lil' dry sarcasm on my part!! On the flip side... well how 'bout JFK?? Seriously.

JFK- probably, but I wasn’t alive so I answered from a personal perspective.

I didn’t mention Clinton because he really didn’t face anything like this. He handled the aftermath of the Oklahoma City Bombing very well, but I didn’t consider that like this situation.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Obama or Reagan? Come on people dont be so predictable. How about poor William Henry Harrison. President for only a month. Even tho he is not recent.

It would be hard to go against George Washington. Father of our country. Hero of the Revolution. Warned against political parties. America should’ve listened. Willingly stepped aside when he could’ve served for life.

I certainly liked Reagan. He knew how to give the country the pep talk it needed at just the right time. His talk after the Challenger explosion is still etched in my mind.

Hard to argue with George W Bush. As the above poster mentioned his leadership post 9/11 was superb.

Ironically because I have openly questioned Trumps handling of the crisis on here I am a “liberal snowflake” to some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnie Cockran
It would be hard to go against George Washington. Father of our country. Hero of the Revolution. Warned against political parties. America should’ve listened. Willingly stepped aside when he could’ve served for life.

Well, he would be number 1 for sure.

he was a President who actually didn’t really like the power of the office and was worried about it. Wow, that’s a monumental difference than modern times.

For the record I realize George Washington wasn’t recent. And yes recent depends on how old you are.

Obama/Biden were a complete failure with the swine flu. Coronavirus is AT LEAST 50 times more deadly than the swine flu. Obama/Biden put in no travel restrictions to stop it and it ended up infecting 60 million people in the US and killing 12,469 people in the US. If this would have hit under Obama, their policies would have killed AT LEAST 400,000 people in the best case and most likely over 1 million plus.

Obama/Biden were a complete failure with the swine flu. Coronavirus is AT LEAST 50 times more deadly than the swine flu. Obama/Biden put in no travel restrictions to stop it and it ended up infecting 60 million people in the US and killing 12,469 people in the US. If this would have hit under Obama, their policies would have killed AT LEAST 400,000 people in the best case and most likely over 1 million.

I’ve heard this 20 times now. It’s a Fox News and right wing talking Point.

Again, I didn’t vote for OBama. But I also can read health experts talk about the differences and understand them. You hatred blinds you too much.

there was also no reason for travel restrictions according to public health experts in that situation. It wouldn’t have achieved anything at that point.

In fact,, here is an article From 2009 saying the Obama administration was talking too much and preparing too much for a possible pandemic https://khqa.com/news/local/analysis-team-obama-floods-airwaves-about-flu-10-25-2015

were there things to learn from the handling of it? of course. There are always things to learn. That’s why Trump’s statement about how they handled it perfectly was so wrong. There is no perfect handling of anything. It’s never 100%. Humans make mistakes.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ent-obama-declared-h1n1-public-health-emerge/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

For the record I realize George Washington wasn’t recent. And yes recent depends on how old you are.

Well, true but I was just answering the question and felt like I had to do it from my experience.

that’s why I ranked Reagan first, mainly because of his handling of the space shuttle disaster.

I’d like to see someone with his empathy and personality in a time like we are facing now.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Who would it be?

The only other presidents we have had “recently” would be Obama or maybe GW... how about we say recent is “in your lifetime”? For me it would be Ronald Reagan. The world felt safer when he was our president. Everyone liked him but he didn’t take any sh@$ either.

I’ve heard this 20 times now. It’s a Fox News and right wing talking Point.

Again, I didn’t vote for OBama. But I also can read health experts talk about the differences and understand them. You hatred blinds you too much.

there was also no reason for travel restrictions according to public health experts in that situation. It wouldn’t have achieved anything at that point.

In fact,, here is an article From 2009 saying the Obama administration was talking too much about their preparations for a possible pandemic https://khqa.com/news/local/analysis-team-obama-floods-airwaves-about-flu-10-25-2015

were there things to learn from the handling of it? of course. There are always things to learn.

https://www.politifact.com/factchec...ent-obama-declared-h1n1-public-health-emerge/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/trumps-h1n1-swine-flu-pandemic-spin/

Yeah, believe that bullcrap all you want, but you don't leave a border open for millions more infected people to flow over. It absolutely would have helped to stop more people from coming in, just like it is helping here now and why other countries are shutting down their borders.

Obama/Biden were a complete failure with the swine flu. Coronavirus is AT LEAST 50 times more deadly than the swine flu. Obama/Biden put in no travel restrictions to stop it and it ended up infecting 60 million people in the US and killing 12,469 people in the US. If this would have hit under Obama, their policies would have killed AT LEAST 400,000 people in the best case and most likely over 1 million plus.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

We've got the one we need right now.
Sure, if you like a guy that sticks his chest out and tries to BS his way through everything, then Trump is your guy. You see it every time this administration tries to roll out a policy. They BS, throw something together haphazardly, and have to change things about 3-4 times before it is even operational. If I didn't fear that Trump is going to really do some permanent damage, I would almost root for his re-election for the comedy. Everyday, you know Trump is going to give you something to just crack you up.

Yeah, believe that bullcrap all you want, but you don't leave a border open for millions more infected people to flow over. It absolutely would have helped to stop more people from coming in, just like it is helping here now and why other countries are shutting down their borders.

I don’t consider the opinions of respected public health experts who have studied this situation and other pandemics as “bullcrap.” Sorry.

His administration considered closing the border, and he even talked about it but many experts said it would do little good because so many were already infected and would divert needed resources. Even many republicans agreed at the time and offered little pushback

ironcially, Republican House members (and a few Democrats too) berated House Appropriations Committee chairman David Obey (D) when he tried to insert $900 million for pandemic preparation into the stimulus bill, right before the swine flu hit the United States.

The fact is polls after the pandemic was over show almost 60% of the country supported the Obama administration’s handling of the swine flu. We will find out if the Trump administration gets that high of an approval for their handling of the COVID19 virus pandemic.

Sure, if you like a guy that sticks his chest out and tries to BS his way through everything, then Trump is your guy. You see it every time this administration tries to roll out a policy. They BS, throw something together haphazardly, and have to change things about 3-4 times before it is even operational. If I didn't fear that Trump is going to really do some permanent damage, I would almost root for his re-election for the comedy. Everyday, you know Trump is going to give you something to just crack you up.

Unlike Obozo and that stump dumb idiot Biden, he is actually trying to do something other than talk and count the bodies like they did with the way less lethal swine flu.

Unlike Obozo and that stump dumb idiot Biden, he is actually trying to do something other than talk and count the bodies like they did with the way less lethal swine flu.

why do you use such disparaging language to talk about people you disagree with politically?

Can you not disagree with someone over issues without them being dumb are calling them names?

I don’t consider the opinions of respected public health experts who have studied this situation and other pandemics as “bullcrap.” Sorry.

His administration considered closing the border, and he even talked about it but many experts said it would do little good because so many were already infected and would divert needed resources. Even many republicans agreed at the time and offered little pushback

ironcially, Republican House members (and a few Democrats too) berated House Appropriations Committee chairman David Obey (D) when he tried to insert $900 million for pandemic preparation into the stimulus bill, right before the swine flu hit the United States.

The fact is polls after the pandemic was over show almost 60% of the country supported the Obama administration’s handling of the swine flu.

Sorry. Only a complete moron would believe that spin from partisan medical officials. If you are trying to contain a virus, you don't let more people with it come in. Common sense will tell you that. That's why people are shut down borders today.

Sorry. Only a complete moron would believe that spin from partisan medical officials. If you are trying to contain a virus, you don't let more people with it come in. Common sense will tell you that. That's why people are shut down borders today.

So now you are calling me a moron.

I think there is a rule on this board about personal insults. Maybe not.

I guess we can’t have a discussion since I am a moron because I believe public health medical experts at places Johns Hopkins and Stanford University over talk show hosts and political commentators- as if talk show hosts and political commentators who hate everything Obama did are completely unbiased and not partisan at all.

ok.

Last edited:
Who would it be?

Any but 45

Like what. Another travel ban that was haphazardly done and left the U.K. out only to add them days later after the Media talked about how incredibly stupid that was? All Trump does is watch cable news shows while eating Hamburgers and Fried Chicken. Then tries to throw something together based on what he thinks Fox News wants. He is the very definition of anyone can be President. Only problem is that you can't just have anyone in the Presidency for effective leadership. This is Trump's first real test and you could see from his Presidential address that he is scared and doesn't know what to do. Bullying and BS'ing won't work this time. Calling it a hoax won't work this time. You are either prepared or you are not and the Federal response is not prepared. That is why most states have said forget it and are developing their own responses.

So now you are calling me a moron.

I think there is a rule on this board about personal insults. Maybe not.

I guess we can’t have a discussion since I am a moron because I believe public health medical experts at places Johns Hopkins and Stanford University over talk show hosts and political commentators.

ok.

I didn't call YOU anything.

But nobody honestly believes that letting millions of more infected people into a country when you are trying to contain a virus is the right thing to do. There are many liberal hacks in the medical field just as there are in the media, and anybody claiming that didn't make a difference was just covering for their inaction.

Last edited:
Like what. Another travel ban that was haphazardly done and left the U.K. out only to add them days later after the Media talked about how incredibly stupid that was? All Trump does is watch cable news shows while eating Hamburgers and Fried Chicken. Then tries to throw something together based on what he thinks Fox News wants. He is the very definition of anyone can be President. Only problem is that you can't just have anyone in the Presidency for effective leadership. This is Trump's first real test and you could see from his Presidential address that he is scared and doesn't know what to do. Bullying and BS'ing won't work this time. Calling it a hoax won't work this time. You are either prepared or you are not and the Federal response is not prepared. That is why most states have said forget it and are developing their own responses.
Wrong. You should have said in your opinion. Obama did such a bang up job. I guess you were ok with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT