ADVERTISEMENT

In defends of Roper......

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
1. Still a lot of young players
2. Key injuries
3. Bentley over throws. A lot of perfectly set up plays Bentley missed on.
4. Not many 3 and outs by the D to get the ball back in the O hands.

cover256x256-1ec34adfd5224882a00f04014e85a431.jpg

1. Second year QB, a lot of teams are playing freshman. What year do you think Fromm is? Ettiene?

2. True but that doesn't excuse his lack of different formations, motions, creativity.

3. Again, second year QB who YOU'VE been coaching. You're the supposed expert, so fix his issues Kurt. We are paying you 3/4 of 1 million to do this stuff.

4. Had a good many turnovers, offense couldn't capitalize and we trot out some scared walk-on kid to kick 40 yard Fg's and get mad when he misses it. That's just dumbass coaching making dumbass decisions.

2. Key injuries
u b dealin' w/ the masses.............gawd bless them, the tech schools count on em

1. Second year QB, a lot of teams are playing freshman. What year do you think Fromm is? Ettiene?

2. True but that doesn't excuse his lack of different formations, motions, creativity.

3. Again, second year QB who YOU'VE been coaching. You're the supposed expert, so fix his issues Kurt. We are paying you 3/4 of 1 million to do this stuff.

4. Had a good many turnovers, offense couldn't capitalize and we trot out some scared walk-on kid to kick 40 yard Fg's and get mad when he misses it. That's just dumbass coaching making dumbass decisions.
Fromm plays for UGA and they have the best backfield in the country. Their offense is very predictable but they have the horses to go out and execute. Put Roper on UGA's team and I guarantee there would be no drop-off in production.

2. Key injuries
Total Offense
2015- 362 yds/game ranked 103
2016-348 yds/game ranked 104
2017-340 yrds/game ranked 112

1. Qb, WR, RB Soph, TE Junior, Oline mix of all
2. Key injuries yes, wasn’t productive before injuries.
3. Bentley overthrows. Coach the player, design throws he can consistently make or bench him.
4. D on the field all the time, they get worn out. Defense is why we have won 8 games even with our horrendous schedule.

Bottom line we have enough talent to at least be better offensively than 2015 3 win season. Nobody is saying we should be a Top 25 offense but we have enough talent to be better than #112.

Reactions: drawplay000
Fromm plays for UGA and they have the best backfield in the country. Their offense is very predictable but they have the horses to go out and execute. Put Roper on UGA's team and I guarantee there would be no drop-off in production.
Our best RB would probably at best be 4th string at UGA. Our guy don't get a lot of YAC.

Great offensive mind can use the pieces he has to create results. Champ and TRob knows the secondary isn’t getting drafted anytime soon so they use bend don’t break approach. Don’t fit the square peg into the round hole. Mold the peg to fit. That’s why Your paid $750k per year.

you're making too much sense

3 > 6 > 8 in two seasons

not good enough for some of our experts

go cocks!
It's this type is "reasoning" that got us into this mess. It was painfully obvious that Botkin, Junior, Deke and Whammy were not getting it done and I'll heard from the same people defending Roper was "this was the same staff that won 11 games..." Worked out great, huh?

Besides, it doesn't take an expert to recognize 112th in the country isn't cutting it.

Great offensive mind can use the pieces he has to create results. Champ and TRob knows the secondary isn’t getting drafted anytime soon so they use bend don’t break approach. Don’t fit the square peg into the round hole. Mold the peg to fit. That’s why Your paid $750k per year.
For most offenses to work there needs to be balance. Our inept ability to run the football has kept us from being a balanced football team. We still haven't seen a lot of improvement on the offensive line. It was the first year back for our o-line coach. Lets hope the 2nd year is better for our line.

It's this type is "reasoning" that got us into this mess. It was painfully obvious that Botkin, Junior, Deke and Whammy were not getting it done and I'll heard from the same people defending Roper was "this was the same staff that won 11 games..." Worked out great, huh?

Besides, it doesn't take an expert to recognize 112th in the country isn't cutting it.
Too many fans settle. Spending decades accepting mediocrity. Clemson didn’t when Tommy had them 8 wins a year, and Dabo didn’t accept it so he brought in the best. They weren’t an elite team 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. They changed the culture and the expectations. Can’t stand that school and hate to use them as an example but that’s why we are a few years away from seriously competing with them, not trying to pull the miracle or even the upset.

2. Key injuries
1. Clemson is younger
2. Everyone has injuries
3. Bentley is the only QB they let play
4. Don’t blame the D. They improved

For most offenses to work there needs to be balance. Our inept ability to run the football has kept us from being a balanced football team. We still haven't seen a lot of improvement on the offensive line. It was the first year back for our o-line coach. Lets hope the 2nd year is better for our line.
This is the ONLY potential reason for saving Roper. BUT IMHO we will never have a Bama capable OL. So we must scheme production

Reactions: Garnetskies
Too many fans settle. Spending decades accepting mediocrity. Clemson didn’t when Tommy had them 8 wins a year, and Dabo didn’t accept it so he brought in the best. They weren’t an elite team 10 years ago or even 5 years ago. They changed the culture and the expectations. Can’t stand that school and hate to use them as an example but that’s why we are a few years away from seriously competing with them, not trying to pull the miracle or even the upset.
Dabo was ruthless. His coaches didn't produce, he fired them and Clemson paid the money. Hell, they won the conference and went to the Orange Bowl and he fired a coordinator.

We need balance yes but Oline and running game improved the last few games until Clemson. Playcalling and predictability of offense can hinder any phase of game. I’m a Wolford fan though

2. Key injuries
Total Offense
2015- 362 yds/game ranked 103
2016-348 yds/game ranked 104
2017-340 yrds/game ranked 112

1. Qb, WR, RB Soph, TE Junior, Oline mix of all
2. Key injuries yes, wasn’t productive before injuries.
3. Bentley overthrows. Coach the player, design throws he can consistently make or bench him.
4. D on the field all the time, they get worn out. Defense is why we have won 8 games even with our horrendous schedule.

Bottom line we have enough talent to at least be better offensively than 2015 3 win season. Nobody is saying we should be a Top 25 offense but we have enough talent to be better than #112.
You actually believe he can bench the qb? I highly doubt it. This would be HC decision probably with input from daddy.

Actually, you don't have to be balanced. UGA is the most unbalanced offensive team in the SEC and they are the SEC champs. You must run the ball. MUST. That's how you win the SEC. They are no shortcuts.

A lot of posters on here promised last year that once we established a passing threat that would open up the run. It hasn't happened. Now it's Bentley needs "development." I guess I gotta wait a little longer on that running game.

So...Let me get this straight??? We have a head coach in Muschamp as well as an OC that inherited a team that won 3 games the year prior, inherited a roster full of players that everyone said did not have any talent, and led them to a bowl game in their first year?

Check...

We have coaches the very next season, that coached a team full of young talent at key skill positions, dealt with significant injuries to some of our best playmakers at WR, RB, TE, and OL, yet still competed in all but one of the games on our schedule and currently has the team tied for the 7th best season out of 110 seasons of Carolina football with a chance to tie for the 5th highest win total in a season?

Check...

And we have fans trying to run coaches, recruits, ADs, etc...out of town? Are some of you guys crazy???!!!

Check.

Look I get it, the offense is not where we want it to be, heck for that matter neither is the defense, special teams, etc...The whole team still has a lot of work to do. To be honest there were times where I would scratch my head by some play calls, then there were other times where I saw a perfect play dialed up only to be wasted by poor execution! I get it. As much as I saw the weaknesses, I also saw great effort by our players/coaches each time out, I saw brilliant half time adjustments throughout the season, I saw players and coaches being good ambassadors for our school, and I saw continued progress over last year.

Some of you so called Carolina fans that won't show up, support our team loud and proud, but will be the first ones to criticize...Do us all a favor and go fight in the stands at that school in the upstate...Better yet take your black, give away your garnet, and grab some red so you can sniff the butts of our neighbors to the west!

The rest of us level headed fans will continue to support and enjoy the progress of the team. Until proven otherwise, allow Muschamp and the guys to continue to build something special without having unwarranted heat from the fans that only make it more difficult to win. When did Carolina become a school where it matters more about style than wins on the field. I caution us to be very careful. I have a feeling UF, UT, and several other schools will continue to find out the hard way!

P.S. This is why sports in general are beginning to lose its luster. Fans are using these games to fill a void that sports can't fulfill and are holding onto a game to take them away from a crappy reality vs actually changing reality. When grown men are living vicariously through these athletes, and somehow these athletes fall short of expections, it brings out venom from the most docile of creature, high and low, far and wide, man, woman, child... The game no longer becomes fun...enough of that....sigh

So...Let me get this straight??? We have a head coach in Muschamp as well as an OC that inherited a team that won 3 games the year prior, inherited a roster full of players that everyone said did not have any talent, and led them to a bowl game in their first year?

Check...

We have coaches the very next season, that coached a team full of young talent at key skill positions, dealt with significant injuries to some of our best playmakers at WR, RB, TE, and OL, yet still competed in all but one of the games on our schedule and currently has the team tied for the 7th best season out of 110 seasons of Carolina football with a chance to tie for the 5th highest win total in a season?

Check...

And we have fans trying to run coaches, recruits, ADs, etc...out of town? Are some of you guys crazy???!!!

Check.

Look I get it, the offense is not where we want it to be, heck for that matter neither is the defense, special teams, etc...The whole team still has a lot of work to do. To be honest there were times where I would scratch my head by some play calls, then there were other times where I saw a perfect play dialed up only to be wasted by poor execution! I get it. As much as I saw the weaknesses, I also saw great effort by our players/coaches each time out, I saw brilliant half time adjustments throughout the season, I saw players and coaches being good ambassadors for our school, and I saw continued progress over last year.

Some of you so called Carolina fans that won't show up, support our team loud and proud, but will be the first ones to criticize...Do us all a favor and go fight in the stands at that school in the upstate...Better yet take your black, give away your garnet, and grab some red so you can sniff the butts of our neighbors to the west!

The rest of us level headed fans will continue to support and enjoy the progress of the team. Until proven otherwise, allow Muschamp and the guys to continue to build something special without having unwarranted heat from the fans that only make it more difficult to win. When did Carolina become a school where it matters more about style than wins on the field. I caution us to be very careful. I have a feeling UF, UT, and several other schools will continue to find out the hard way!

P.S. This is why sports in general are beginning to lose its luster. Fans are using these games to fill a void that sports can't fulfill and are holding onto a game to take them away from a crappy reality vs actually changing reality. When grown men are living vicariously through these athletes, and somehow these athletes fall short of expections, it brings out venom from the most docile of creature, high and low, far and wide, man, woman, child... The game no longer becomes fun...enough of that....sigh
Scott Frost inherited a team that went 0-12 and has them 12-0 in two years. Just saying, going from 3 wins to 6 to 8 is nice and all but it's not the miracle some make it out to be. As for the rest of your post, it's not even worth responding to.

Check...

Check...

Check.

Oh please, Carolina football, take me away from the misery of this mortal coil...

Give me a break, dude. Roper gets paid 700k a year and hasn't cracked the top 100 teams in terms of offensive production. We're just asking for mediocrity, not existential deliverance from the horror of our lives.

Scott Frost inherited a team that went 0-12 and has them 12-0 in two years. Just saying, going from 3 wins to 6 to 8 is nice and all but it's not the miracle some make it out to be. As for the rest of your post, it's not even worth responding to.

You know this is the rate exception and not the rule.

You actually believe he can bench the qb? I highly doubt it. This would be HC decision probably with input from daddy.
Yes he could. There’s not a great option for it his replacement but you failed to acknowledge his development or calling plays that have a high percentage of success.

Our best RB would probably at best be 4th string at UGA. Our guy don't get a lot of YAC.

Hard to pad your YAC when 1st down is always a run up the middle into the pile. No off tackle, no sweeps, no draws, just straight ahead into the pile. Also, hope our next OC has the sense not to run a 3rd or 4th down and 1 from the shotgun (failed time after time after time). In 35+ years of watching Gamecock football, I don't think I've ever seen this bad of a running offense as the last couple of years. (Could be wrong, but nothing comes to mind). I'm really hoping that the next OC will get us away from this dink and dunk offense like UNC and Duke. These short throw offenses are extremely BORING.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13

Check...

Check...

Check.

Winning 8 games is more about our competition than us. Yes the defense improved. Special teams were horrific.
Offensive production seem to get worse every game. QB play has not improved. Play calling was questionable at best Yes I’m glad we won more than expected. Does that mean we improved?
Donald Trump was expected to lose and won in a landslide. Does that mean he will go down as one of our best Presidents ever? Like us. He won because his completion sucked worse

We got to improve tremendously and look at Clemson. Why can we do the same?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT