ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries & Conditioning

baked chicken

Aug 18, 2010
Does anyone other than me think that our injury problems the last few seasons is related to our strength and conditioning program?

It seems like we had a man down every other play for the last two weeks.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
We need to bring back Keith Kephart! A few months of BBTC....Better Bodies Thru Chemistry.....and we will be playin and the Cockpit will be swayin....

Wooooooo...Marboro's for everyone

The problem is it's a tough game and we have a lot of slightly-built players versus what it is they are doing and having done to them.

Reactions: Brace1
I don't think it's an unfair question.

Didn't we have three guys break the same bone in their leg last year (Deebo, Rico, KC)? I know football is a game of injuries, but don't think it's crazy to ask the question.

We are in fine condition my boys are primed for a banner season we're gonna go out there and win big then come back and ring that victory bell....like we always wanted to. If only Muschamp would hire coach Calhoun.

It's not just us I would think. As I'm turning the channel this past Saturday catching bits and pieces of every game I could, I can't count the number of times the first thing I see is a guy flat on his back being checked out by trainers. I get that they're told to stay down often times, but man you would think with the money invested in these guys health, they'd be a little more healthy. And another thing while I'm at it... hate to go 'back in the day' on y'all, but I don't recall this patting the helmet (get me out thing) ever being a thing... at least not to the extent as it is today. Kinda makes me wonder if the whole conditioning thing in college athletics is a farce.

Reactions: uscfan1981
It’s not an unreasonable question, but I agree with many on here that these injuries are not really the result of conditioning. Someone mentioned Deebo breaking his leg last year - that’s a prime example because anyone who can return 3 kicks for TDs is in fine shape to me. Where conditioning comes into question is getting pushed around in the 4th quarter. Which was not a problem yesterday.

Injuries mostly come down to luck. And who has had some of the greatest luck this year???
If you guessed Clempson you were right. Was talking with my tater coworker earlier and he said they haven’t had any injury of significance this year.

I've always thought the increased injuries (and this is not the first year; they seem to be more frequent every succeeding year) are a result of athletes being stronger and faster. However, their joints are the same. More stress and torque applied to the same joints. Just my 2 cents.

The problem is it's a tough game and we have a lot of slightly-built players versus what it is they are doing and having done to them.

I agree. When football players don't LOOK like football players (re: the positions played), that's a sure sign that they're going to get bullied by bigger and stronger opponents on the field and injuries will surely mount up.

Does anyone other than me think that our injury problems the last few seasons is related to our strength and conditioning program?

This is big boy football... Not powder puff football....

1c77bcbf21f07c757eac0e0a2909b17b.jpg

Reactions: king ward
It's not just us I would think. As I'm turning the channel this past Saturday catching bits and pieces of every game I could, I can't count the number of times the first thing I see is a guy flat on his back being checked out by trainers. I get that they're told to stay down often times, but man you would think with the money invested in these guys health, they'd be a little more healthy. And another thing while I'm at it... hate to go 'back in the day' on y'all, but I don't recall this patting the helmet (get me out thing) ever being a thing... at least not to the extent as it is today. Kinda makes me wonder if the whole conditioning thing in college athletics is a farce.

Ok this might not go over well but I kinda agree with you to an intent . Honestly i think it’s a generational thing . Watch NBA or especially Soccer ... guys are barely getting touched and they roll around like they’ve been Axe Murdered . Five minutes later they are back in the game . I think kids are just not as tough anymore . The days of Ronnie Lot playing with severed fingers or Jack Youngblood playing with a broken leg are long gone . Not saying it’s a bad thing . Those guys were crazy back in the day and with all the CTE issues I think coaches now are more concerned about player safety than “ Shake it Off” and get back in the game . Maybe not . Just my thoughts .

The conditioning part surely isnt an issue as was pointed out by someone above and I think thru recruiting bigger younguns like Sandidge,Enagbare ,Belk and our 5 star commit whos already 6'5 1/4 and 290 we will see a big size increase not to mention them getting stronger and bigger thru Dillmans program.Sandidge and Enagbare will probably be over or at 300lbs by their junior years.Look at the dbs we are recruiting and signing almost all over 6ft ...
Give Horn,Muku,Cook,Gipson and Dickerson...most of those guys will be over 200 some of them in the 220 range by the time they leave. 2021 we will look physically like a SEC team.

I blame the shoulder pads
#BlastFromDPast

Our defense just held the #6 ranked offense to 17 yards on 19 plays in the 4th quarter, and many of our defensive players played 85 snaps or more. I'd say our conditioning is pretty dang good.

Reactions: Brace1
If we had a bunch of pulled hamstrings like we did a few years ago, I'd say yes. We haven't had those too much this year.

Now the lack of speed on the team could be an S&C issue.

Our team is well conditioned! I gotta give it to Muschamp on that, the reason we see a lot of injuries; especially on the defensive side is we lack depth, meaning our undersized players are playing longer which leads to a greater chance of getting hurt! There’s a lot we can complain about here, but our teams conditioning is not one of them!

Our team is well conditioned! I gotta give it to Muschamp on that, the reason we see a lot of injuries; especially on the defensive side is we lack depth, meaning our undersized players are playing longer which leads to a greater chance of getting hurt! There’s a lot we can complain about here, but our teams conditioning is not one of them!
Correct. What we need is a greater number of better specimens. I expect we will acquire them soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT