ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - June 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
Football Recruiting ? Class of 2010

Look for South Carolina to possibly turn up the heat on Garden City (KS) Garden City C.C. DB Dontrell Johnson. Carolina's coaches like Johnson on film as a cornerback (he plays cornerback and free safety for Garden City) and are hopeful to bring him in for a visit at some point. Ole Miss has verbally offered Johnson and he also has an offer from Southern Miss. In speaking with sources and with Johnson I believe South Carolina would have a great shot to land him. In case you missed it, check out the article that was on the front page earlier on Johnson.

Boiling Springs QB Marcus Lattimore are all heading to USC Thursday for an unofficial visit. I understand that the three are all hanging out together the night before and then heading down on Thursday where they will spend the day. It's never a bad thing to have a USC commitment hanging around two big targets. Some have asked about Nick Jones committing and I do not expect him to do that at least until he returns from Penn State next weekend.

I hear that there is a good chance that State College (PA) WR Jack Deboef will be on campus in July to check out Carolina. Deboef is a guy that has a good bit of upside and Kenney would be a good fit as a slot receiver. Both have offers, as has been mentioned before.

Lithia Springs (GA) LB Tyler Owens recently visited Stanford and enjoyed himself there. The linebacker has been watched by Carolina for a while there and camped earlier this month in Columbia. If USC decides to offer, they will be a big factor for the 200-pounder. He will visit Louisville on July 12.

Football Recruiting: Class of 2011

Brookland-Cayce WR Jonathan Rumph was on campus for South Carolina's camp recently and says he thought he performed well. He also camped at Florida and the Gator coaching staff told him they would be watching him. He's still waiting to pick up some offers, but the Gamecocks are his undisputed leader. He grew up a fan of them and likes them because they are his home-state school.

Jersey City (NJ) St. Peters Prep RB Savon Huggins is a guy that is open to going down South to play football and I spoke with a source close to him who said that he has mentioned South Carolina as a place that he would like to visit this summer. Huggins' family is vacationing in North Carolina this weekend. Huggins already has a verbal offer from USC and I'm hearing he will have a bunch of them when September rolls around.

Basketball Recruiting

One theme you can see from the current basketball staff is that they really get after prospects early. The coaching staff is very much on top of things in terms of evaluating prospects at the beginning of the process and then recruiting them hard.

I spoke with a couple of more sources on Stacey Poole and after speaking with them I believe that South Carolina has the best shot of landing them, providing Florida does not offer. Poole's father played for the Gators; I am not at all implying that he would drop everything and go to Florida if they offer, but it might throw a wrench in things. Regardless, the Gamecocks are very strong.

Charlotte (NC) Vance PG Marquis Rankin from the Class of 2011 is a prospect that should be on South Carolina's campus sometime in the near future. UNC is taking a look at him and Rankin recently was on a visit there. He is a guy that South Carolina is high on and I should know more about their chances after he hits campus.

South Carolina likes 2011 F Quincy Miller a lot, he is a guy that the staff will likely try to have up to their Elite camp later this summer. I hope to catch up with Miller soon to get his thoughts on the Gamecocks.
This post was edited on 6/25 8:44 AM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News