ADVERTISEMENT

Is the SEC back?

funktavious

Mar 20, 2002
After a few seasons with a drop off in production from SEC powers the perception of the SEC was not as strong as it had been over the past 20 years. As of week 5 the SEC currently has 5 teams ranked in the top-15, including 3 in the top-5 and 6 teams in the top-25. Who is the 2nd best conference now? How in the world is Va Tech in the top-25 with a loss to Old Dominion?

Reactions: Brace1
I don't think it ever went away.

It's true that Florida and Tennessee are not up to historical standards (will UT ever be again?), but other teams like LSU and Kentucky are much better than expected and the bottom of the conference is mostly decent (honorable mention to Arkansas and UT that are flat-out awful). Ole Miss looks bad, but they killed a middle of the road Big 12 team on a neutral field. South Carolina and MIzzou are TBD. A&M nearly (should have?) beaten Clempson.

Still easily the top conference in the country and I don't think there is a close second.

It's true that Florida and Tennessee are not up to historical standards (will UT ever be again?), but other teams like LSU and Kentucky are much better than expected and the bottom of the conference is mostly decent (honorable mention to Arkansas and UT that are flat-out awful). Ole Miss looks bad, but they killed a middle of the road Big 12 team on a neutral field. South Carolina and MIzzou are TBD. A&M nearly (should have?) beaten Clempson.

Still easily the top conference in the country and I don't think there is a close second.

Spot on.

After a few seasons with a drop off in production from SEC powers the perception of the SEC was not as strong as it had been over the past 20 years. As of week 5 the SEC currently has 5 teams ranked in the top-15, including 3 in the top-5 and 6 teams in the top-25. Who is the 2nd best conference now? How in the world is Va Tech in the top-25 with a loss to Old Dominion?

Just check out who they play this weekend and that will answer your question re: VaTech

Im glad we dont play old dominion

DE Oshane Ximines the 50th something ranked player in NC in 2014 will be a first round pick

The talent in the SEC never left. The difference is the QB talent in the SEC vs just a couple years ago. Tua, Fromm, Lock, Stidham, Mond...That's why the SEC is king again.

Reactions: king ward
The talent in the SEC never left. The difference is the QB talent in the SEC vs just a couple years ago. Tua, Fromm, Lock, Stidham, Mond...That's why the SEC is king again.
For many years all i heard was it was the coaches in the s.e.c. that set it apart from the others

Ask anyone from another conference if they'd like to play Tennessee's schedule this year. As of this week's AP poll, they play 1,2, 8, 9,13, and 22. All those except #9(WVA) are conference games.

Not really but the East has been considered way down over the last few years. It has finally bounced back and it's not the usual powers with the exception of UGA.

All this SEC talk is making me want to puke. Who cares if the SEC is ‘back or not’, I’m concerned about my team and if we will ever ride the SEC wave on a solo surfboard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT