"It's a very difficult task to hit a baseball"?

Discussion in 'Fighting Gamecocks Forum' started by jimnasium, Apr 20, 2017.

1. jimnasium

jimnasium Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hitting an be like golf you can't think and play golf at the same time.

2. Cackdiesel

Cackdiesel Active Member
    Expand Collapse

I always liked "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes it rains."

3. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

How about this one for Chad. "There's no crying in baseball"!

rogue cock likes this.
  4. 76gintcock

76gintcock Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if this story fits in here or not. But here goes.

Many years ago my brother and I were at the beach with our father. Our mother had recently died and he was kind of a mess. We decided to get him out of his chair one night, so we dragged him to the old Garden City arcade. He was in his late 60s and got no exercise. Well, he saw the batting cages and was intrigued. We watched for a while and he said he wanted to try it. We thought he had lost his mind. He was apparently a fine player in high school and on company teams in the 30s, but gosh. Well he gets in the cage, puts on the helmet, and we start the machine at the slowest baseball setting. Before you know it, he was hitting soft little line drives with solid contact. Speed it up. Yessir. He kept hitting. He was just putting the bat on the ball. Speed it up. Yessir. Same thing.

Now I realize that the machine was putting the ball at the same place every time. But if this retired doctor with COPD could put the bat on the ball, why can't our guys.

By the way, he was a happy old guy. I'm pretty sure he surprised himself. He certainly surprised my brother and me.

5. JGH 35

JGH 35 Member
    Expand Collapse

Last night it didn't look like these guys could hit a beach ball with a boat paddle. Hard to watch.

6. jimnasium

Expand Collapse

Well hopefully we can get it "crunk" up.

7. bdblack

bdblack Active Member
    Expand Collapse

Like you said, "hitting a baseball requires no ability to run, jump, ability to juke a player, catch a ball over the middle." Yes, it does require extraordinary eye/hand coordination BUT ... you have a very small protected area to deal with (standing still, mind you) and the pitcher has to throw the ball over the plate. I get it that you cherish baseball ... I like to watch Gamecock baseball, but the fact remains that most of the best athletes, with the very best eye/hand coordination in the entire country, choose not to play a 19th century sport that sputters along at a snail's pace. Maybe it's just harder for the less talented athletes to hit baseballs?

8. bucketdad

bucketdad Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great story 76. Had to be a real good feeling for him when he walked away from the cage.