ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Meyer pitching coach.

For the JM haters, if nothing else, you know you will have one of if not the lowest era in the sec and you'll have someone to blame if we lose. Add in Mike Current as hitting coach and Kingston managing it all, and we may see a quick turnaround. If not I'll be Meyer's fault.

Reactions: wood90
For the JM haters, if nothing else, you know you will have one of if not the lowest era in the sec and you'll have someone to blame if we lose. Add in Mike Current as hitting coach and Kingston managing it all, and we may see a quick turnaround. If not I'll be Meyer's fault.
That's not his problem. He picks 5-6 pitchers as his favorites and develops them and that's all he will use. His issue is that he doesn't develop enough arms to have at his disposal....especially in situational pitching or when we lose an arm or two for a few games.

S.O.B.
So I guess the bar is set at making the NCAA Tourney every year and an occasionally a SR? No way we'll ever win it all again using 5 out of 15 pitchers throughout the season, including losing 2-3 to injury, and then trying to use the rest once the tournament starts.
How many times do we have to watch this movie before we remember the ending?

Sounds like you enjoyed watching those blown leads giving up hR's late in games this past season. Had nothing to do with the pitching coaches, huh?
But hey...we did have an awesome ERA.

S.O.B.
So I guess the bar is set at making the NCAA Tourney every year and an occasionally a SR? No way we'll ever win it all again using 5 out of 15 pitchers throughout the season, including losing 2-3 to injury, and then trying to use the rest once the tournament starts.
Or will we make it to Omaha like 02, 03, 04. Or atleast win 56 games like 2000. No way it'll happen with Meyers

S.O.B.
Hopefully Kingston tells him that he needs 12 or more arms ready to go on day one period.

Please a BIG FAT NO !

SodaCock, I certainly can appreciate your opinion, I am not (or at least I wasn't) a Jerry Meyers disciple... until I heard a couple of things just recently.

MLB announcers are infatuated with Jordan Montgomery. Heard several different announcers comment, often, that Montgomery has 'the perfect overhand delivery' Apparently, a good overhand delivery prevents batters from reading what kind of pitch is coming. Fastball, curve, slider, change-up, etc. all look the same. Guess wrong and it's Too Late! to adjust.

Anyway, when Tyler Webb made his MLB pitching debut, the ESPN announcers talked about his consistent overhand delivery.... " ... and this is why he's not being developed as a 'specialty pitcher', one who is brought in to pitch to just one batter or, brought in to just get lefties out."

Then I remembered listening to the SEC Network announcers talk about Clark Schmidt's overhand delivery all season....and we all know what he's about.

My point is ... somebody must be teaching these kids how to pitch overhand. I don't think that it's just coincidence. Maybe Meyers deserves a chance.

Where are the trophies from those years?

Not sure how long you've been watching but I've watched and attended games since the early 80's.
Under Meyers:
Sec championship 2000, 02, 11
East championship 99, 2000, 02 03, 11, 12, 16
Sec tournament championship 04
National championship 2011
Been watching and listening since I was about 8. So around same time as you. Maybe I remember some of his accomplishments better

Reactions: obcscfan
Big ball era...and we put up a lot of runs. I can still remember us running out of pitchers in the CWS, especially against Texas in the championship
Big ball era...and we put up a lot of runs. I can still remember us running out of pitchers in the CWS, especially against Texas in the championship game.

Did you also remember that we had to come back through the losers bracket and Texas didn't. We had to use more arms to get there. We played 6 games in the cws, they played 4. Also the last year before a 2 of 3 championship series

^^^^
Did you also remember that we had to come back through the losers bracket and Texas didn't. We had to use more arms to get there. We played 6 games in the cws, they played 4. Also the last year before a 2 of 3 championship series

Under Meyers:
Been watching and listening since I was about 8. So around same time as you. Maybe I remember some of his accomplishments better
That wasn't under Meyers, that was under Tanner with Meyers as asst.
Hopefully Kingston will be a better manager than Chad.

Under Meyers:
My memory is just fine, thx. Meyers did assist Tanner in accomplishing lofty goals. For some reason I always got the impression that Chad manage his staff, the hold-overs from Tanner, with much authority. Either he really trusted Meyers judgement or was just afraid to question it.
At any rate I'll be pulling for Kingston and the team. But that doesn't mean I can't critique them.

^^^^
Yes, I remember...which is my point. It's not that he can't develop pitchers...he actually does a great job at that. His M.O. however is to develop about 5-6 that he relies on throughout the year. He needs to develop more and use them.

Last edited:
Sounds like you enjoyed watching those blown leads giving up hR's late in games this past season. Had nothing to do with the pitching coaches, huh?
But hey...we did have an awesome ERA.

Ended the season 8th in the SEC.
4th in 2016.
11th in 2015.

2 of the last 3 years have been terrible as far as pitching is concerned. And we just happened to miss the post season those two years.

Last edited:
Not a Meyers fan, but Kingston knows more than me.

I'm not sure if Kingston did his due diligence on this one. Time will tell.

Reactions: cocky4
Under Meyers:

And count all the pitchers that has had Tommy John surgery under is watch .

And count all the pitchers that has had Tommy John surgery under is watch .
Sorry but blaming Meyers for Tommy John is ridiculous. Several had TJ surgery before they got to Carolina.

The issue is kids finish in spring, go play summer ball then throw in fall. Need more down time, and for what it is worth I am friends with a kid on the staff and Meyers is not an issue with our pitchers.

Reactions: bushmastercock
I don't think Meyer did a good job this past season..But i am not qualified to question the wisdom of retaining him as pitching coach...I said all along the biggest issue with the program was Holbrook himself...Kingston is a big upgrade there

Not a Meyers fan, but Kingston knows more than me.

I'm not sure if Kingston did his due diligence on this one. Time will tell.

It does not sound like replacing Myers was even considered. It sounds more like the new coach hired on Fri..inherited a coach that was already here and that announcement was made a few days later. I wish I could say that I am surprised but I am not. Cheer up....maybe for the first time a holdover coach will work out at USC....after all the odds are that eventually this will work.

Myer is a good coach..I do not doubt that. However there are a number of good pitching coaches out there. So far Tanner has made two hires and each apparently came with a holdover. Elliot sure was not retained because he was an invaluable talent of a coach...it was for other reasons. I suspect Myers was retained for other reasons as well and that is a problem.

S.O.B.

Wow! What it is like to be so misinformed? The 5 years that Jerry Meyers was our pitching coach with Ray Tanner as head coach we made Omaha All 5 years including 1 NC, 2 NC runner ups, a third place finish and a fourth place finish. So I guess you don't like finishing in the top 4.
Nearly every year JM has been our pitching coach, we have finished in the top third (often number 1 in the SEC).

The problem is that since CH arrived and Jim Toman left our hitting has been in the bottom third of the SEC and our situational hitting has been the worst.

Our hitting has been so bad for the past 9 years that it has limited of pitching development.
#1 Our pitchers work against some of the worst hitters in the SEC in practice.
#2 You can only afford to throw your best guys in games because giving up 4 runs is an insurmountable lead with our offense. We had to win games 3-2. How often in the past 5 years do you recall winning 8-7.

Wow! What it is like to be so misinformed? The 5 years that Jerry Meyers was our pitching coach with Ray Tanner as head coach we made Omaha All 5 years including 1 NC, 2 NC runner ups, a third place finish and a fourth place finish.
There were also years he was pitching coach that we did NOT make Omaha, most notably 2000.
Most recently we've missed the post season when his sraff has failed more than succeeded. How do we know what we have on staff when we barely saw them pitch last year?
This does seem eerily like the Elliott situation.

It does not sound like replacing Myers was even considered. It sounds more like the new coach hired on Fri..inherited a coach that was already here and that announcement was made a few days later. I wish I could say that I am surprised but I am not. Cheer up....maybe for the first time a holdover coach will work out at USC....after all the odds are that eventually this will work.

Myer is a good coach..I do not doubt that. However there are a number of good pitching coaches out there. So far Tanner has made two hires and each apparently came with a holdover. Elliot sure was not retained because he was an invaluable talent of a coach...it was for other reasons. I suspect Myers was retained for other reasons as well and that is a problem.
Meyers was retained because contrary to alot of fans, Jerry Meyers is still considered to be one of the best in the business and Billy mohl took the head job at usf. Simple as that. Kingston said in his press conference that some on staff may be considered if he has room. I don't believe Tanner would dictate that

If Kingston wanted to endear himself to the fans, and get everybody on board, he would add Toman to his staff.

I'll tell you what...Next time one of you JM haters sees Ray Tanner, tell him that Meyers sucks, and see what he says. Better yet...Ask the pitchers on staff. You talk about JM using the same pitchers all the time...Anybody watch Florida this year? O'Sullivan used the SAME pitchers on weekends and playoff games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT