ADVERTISEMENT

Just a gentle reminder- negativity can harm our program

I get accused of complaining a lot on here but I try not to go overboard about it. I was right about Bobo and I knew I was right, it just took time to see I was right. I was right about Muschamp. I never wanted to get rid of Spurrier and I never blamed him for leaving, hell I miss the guy still. I’m 50/50 on CSB but I was hoping he’d hire a quality OC and DC because that’s what Dabo did that gave him so much success early. I just refuse to accept that USC can’t win and consistently win. I know we can win because I’ve seen it and I know we can have a better program than what we’ve been forced to settle for since 2014.
Actually it took Dabo a few hires to get that program to a higher level. They weren’t as far down as we are right now but they didn’t have immediate success.

Actually it took Dabo a few hires to get that program to a higher level. They weren’t as far down as we are right now but they didn’t have immediate success.

Agreed. He promoted from within for OC, right? He floundered for a couple years then went aggressive.

A risky OC hire, but aggressive play that attracted talent.

Reactions: The Gadfly
That’s looking at it from *your* perspective. Your perspective is not the one that concerns us.

And the perspectives that are worried about are impacted a lot more by winning and losingthan posts on a message board.

Edit: I know hypotheticals arent the best answer, but think of this "what if". What if Beamer wins 8, 9 or 10 games next year. Does anyone really think a recruit will talk himself out of committing because of some posts on an anonymous message board?

In that case, it would be ridiculous, and the negative posts would be outlandish. But I think maybe that's the real problem here. The negative posts arent that outlandish at this time. At least most of them. I agree some are over the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzy01
2021. The year we all rushed to shut down anybody with whom we disagreed. 2020 has some competition.

I get less aggravated with negative program fans and more aggravated with the personal attacks on fellow posters. Currently, I have no program complaints, so I guess I can stay. I also have no personal attacks to lay out, but that gets me no points.

Reactions: robertfootball
It’s tough to argue with what Clemson has accomplished over the last few years. Part of their formula is to control the message. They do not allow their message boards to become cesspools of negativity.
That’s true and it does make a difference. In 2010 we had beaten Alabama, had a win against klempsun from 2009 and looked like a high level competitive team, my tater neighbor said to me, “you better enjoy the year of the Gamecocks! You guys will probably beat us this year, but it won’t last. Klempsun fans will not put up w/ losing to the Gamecocks on a regular basis.” I told him that they might not have a choice. Of course, we had a great run that ended when they got Watson, an elite defense and the belief in their program and team. I can’t imagine saying “Gamecock fans won’t put up with losing to Klempsun on a regular basis.” We’ve put up with a lot over the years and some people are finally fed up. I understand that the negativity consumes the board and makes things look more unstable than they might be, while recruits and potential recruits might see the comments and be turned off by message after negative message. But any Gamecock fan can understand that fellow fans are fed up with being a bottom feeder in the SEC.

Reactions: SOSUSC

Don’t want to sit around and espouse the greatness of an unproven staff? Cool

Have some doubts about a hire? Fair

Turning into an internet troll who bashes our program, administration, coaches and recently committed PLAYERS in every thread they are mentioned? Not ok. It does matter and people who can affect our trajectory do see it and while a handful of these trolls are fans of other schools intentionally trying to sabotage us... The vast majority are not. If you claim to be a Carolina fan and find your online activity falling in line with the extreme negativity being referred to here- how about STFU? Seriously- some of you should be absolutely ashamed.

Just a gentle reply - “....how about STFU”.

LOL.

See how that works? Both ways.

It takes a special level of cognitive dissonance to believe internet posters are the problem with this program and Administration, whether they are the blissfully Pollyanna, the self-important hall monitor wannabes, the intellectually honest who call a spade a spade or the over-the-top negative nellies

So this is going to be the excuse when he leaves? It’s the fans fault. Not the 2-8 record this year, the bad coaching hires or the impending terrible record next season?

Did you believe your ex girlfriend when she said she broke up with you because or her and not because of you?

Does the bitching and moaning help? Do you think it helps with a recruit like Gunner Stockton? Just curious.

Does the bitching and moaning help? Do you think it helps with a recruit like Gunner Stockton? Just curious.
I think kids look at these boards and see a bunch of old, fat men sitting around whining. We are the group they are least concerned about. Muse told us that, didn't he? He came back.

However, we should all try to lighten up on the program and each other. Everybody needs that now.

It’s tough to argue with what Clemson has accomplished over the last few years. Part of their formula is to control the message. They do not allow their message boards to become cesspools of negativity.
For the most part I agree with you, but you should have read taternet after OSU game. Taters were very negative.

For the most part I agree with you, but you should have read taternet after OSU game. Taters were very negative.

I recall message boards during the Bowden years, and they had almost the exact conversations about negativity and recruiting.

And the perspectives that are worried about are impacted a lot more by winning and losingthan posts on a message board.

Edit: I know hypotheticals arent the best answer, but think of this "what if". What if Beamer wins 8, 9 or 10 games next year. Does anyone really think a recruit will talk himself out of committing because of some posts on an anonymous message board?

In that case, it would be ridiculous, and the negative posts would be outlandish. But I think maybe that's the real problem here. The negative posts arent that outlandish at this time. At least most of them. I agree some are over the top.
No son, you COMPLETELY miss the point.

I'm taking from the "your perspective" I was referring to that you don't have much experience at a relatively high level in playing sports. I say this because your mindset is that of a fan, i.e., its all about wins and losses.

That is not the case; its about the program. The fan sees the record; it dictates how he can *discuss* the program, whether he does or does not have the upper hand with his clemson friends etc.

The athlete sees the program; the whos and the whats. Where and under whom he chooses to spend the next four or whatever years of his life and career beyond, and how he will benefit and grow from that choice. He hears, sees, and experiences things along these lines that the fan does not. Potential success of the program is a factor no doubt, but hardly the primary.

Fan character is MOST DEFINITELY a factor as well, and has been a relatively significant plus for us in the past; that is eroding, again most definitely. The fan watches and listens to espn talking head one liners and rhetoric and feels empowered that he, the fan, too has this pegged. He does not.

And contrare, the "negative posts" of the social media coaches being referred to both on here and by potential recruits are INDEED outlandish, and indicative of an ignorant fanbase. It is neither a warm and fuzzy nor a good look.

Don’t want to sit around and espouse the greatness of an unproven staff? Cool

Have some doubts about a hire? Fair

Turning into an internet troll who bashes our program, administration, coaches and recently committed PLAYERS in every thread they are mentioned? Not ok. It does matter and people who can affect our trajectory do see it and while a handful of these trolls are fans of other schools intentionally trying to sabotage us... The vast majority are not. If you claim to be a Carolina fan and find your online activity falling in line with the extreme negativity being referred to here- how about STFU? Seriously- some of you should be absolutely ashamed.
Sunshine Pumper, just keep your head in the sand and pretend that everything will be fine. After all, we have Ray Ray Tanner running the show (into the ground) again!

Reactions: SOSUSC
I think its a good thing when opposing opinions aren't allowed. Best debates happen that way.
Differing opinions are one thing. Constant attacks and senseless takes to intentionally denigrate our program, admin, coaches AND PLAYERS are another.

I spelled it out pretty clear, I know you get my point... Shocking 😳 that YOU of all people would show up to twist things around with a smart ass comment. I am so surprised...

I think the winning took care of that more than anything.
It helped some, yes... But those of us who were around when we won in the early 2010s remember there was still a similar sized faction of obnoxious asshats who did nothing but complain. I remember when the baseball team was in the midst of a run to three consecutive national championship series in Omaha we had a guy named USC Andy I think was his name- all he did was trash Ray Tanner and the baseball team with every post! While were winning on an unparalleled level, we still had that handful of trolls just like we do now. This is not about censorship or implying we should remove every differing opinion, it is about things being out of hand and those of the group who are actually fans need to realize they are part of the problem.

I'm taking from the "your perspective" I was referring to that you don't have much experience at a relatively high level in playing sports. I say this because your mindset is that of a fan, i.e., its all about wins and losses.

Well, daughter, its obvious you completely missed the point. And I'll chalk it up to the fact that you're not a high level athlete and never have been one.

Athletes dont look at Bama or Georgia, weigh the depth chart, look at how many players went pro in their position, meet and mesh with coaches, and then say no because some guy on a message board said something mean.

People on message boards sometimes like to think they and their opinions are a lot more important than they are. They aren't.

[/QUOTE]
It helped some, yes... But those of us who were around when we won in the early 2010s remember there was still a similar sized faction of obnoxious asshats who did nothing but complain.

You sure the faction was the same size? Seems to me, at that time, the negative posts (posters) were smaller and easy to disregard. And that was because there was more success, and therefore they were easier to dismiss.

And yes, I answered with a smart ass comment. I firmly believe that's the sort of response that was warranted to this type of nonsense.

I think its a good thing when opposing opinions aren't allowed. Best debates happen that way.
What are you trying to accomplish? We aren't firing Shane, it only hurts. All those negative opinions are hurting us and will not lead to a different coach before the current staff has coached a game.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Well, daughter, its obvious you completely missed the point. And I'll chalk it up to the fact that you're not a high level athlete and never have been one.
Both myself and my son. My father was offered but went into the military instead.

Suit yourself Beavis.

Unless he has questions about the hire himself why would he care what anyone says? Beamer hired him, for now at least it is what it is and personally I’m just happy it isn’t Bobo. There is one sure fire way of stopping negativity and that’s improving and winning. If you’re looking for everyone to be happy with every decision your S.O.L.
You must not remember all the people who hated Shaw and wanted him benched...

You sure the faction was the same size? Seems to me, at that time, the negative posts (posters) were smaller and easy to diaregard. And that was because there was more success, and therefore they were easier to dismiss.

And yes, I answered with a smart ass comment. I firmly believe that's the sort of response that was warranted to this type of nonsense.
[/QUOTE]
I think you are mixing two different conversations, but I follow you. I am saying it seems the number of people was similar, but they are just hijacking every thread to preach their BS today where it used to be much more few and far between. You are entitled to your opinion, but this was an insider on TOS stating the constant attacks on our coaches and program ARE negatively affecting our recruiting. If you think that is meaningless nonsense, well ok- whatever but I would wager most fans feel recruiting is pretty damned important to any future success we may have. All these people have to do to help it is LITERALLY NOTHING. Just stop posting this garbage. That is it. We are not asking people who feel negatively about the coaches and admin to write them a big check or go rent a billboard to celebrate Ray Tanner’s greatness. We are simply asking fans to take a wait and see approach... Maybe live by the mantra people’s parents used to tell them when they were kids and whining too much: “if you don’t have anything nice to say, it is sometimes better to say nothing at all”. These Nancies all claim they are the true champions of the fanbase and the rest of us are “accepting mediocrity”, they want to win and we don’t? Ok, cool- here is how ya’ll can help us win: STFU. 🤷‍♂️ Sounds easy enough right?

What are you trying to accomplish? We aren't firing Shane, it only hurts. All those negative opinions are hurting us and will not lead to a different coach before the current staff has coached a game.

Beamer needs to give us a reason to believe in him. The fans got Chad Morris fired in two years. No reason to give Beamer 4 years if he can't give us a reason to believe in him.

He is just trolling- a prime example of what JC was talking about. I figured this thread would be a magnet for them, and I was not wrong. It makes it easier to identify the cancers when you collect them all in one place like this.

I think the disconnect is that there is some endgame or something to even accomplish. This is a message board. Flooding it with positive or negative messages means jack squat to the team and its success.

People come here to offer opinions, read others opinions and some come to troll others. But if if someone is coming here influence the outcome of seasons, they are delusional.

Beamer needs to give us a reason to believe in him. The fans got Chad Morris fired in two years. No reason to give Beamer 4 years if he can't give us a reason to believe in him.

Romanticized memory.

My father used to say that Clemson fans tended to be “non-football people.” That characterization has reversed to apply to our fans now.

Romanticized memory.

My father used to say that Clemson fans tended to be “non-football people.” That characterization has reversed to apply to our fans now.

I hate Clemson more than anyone on this board, but the idea we know more about football than them is laughable.

They've clearly done what they need to do to win and we never have.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I think the disconnect is that there is some endgame or something to even accomplish. This is a message board. Flooding it with positive or negative messages means jack squat to the team and its success.

People come here to offer opinions, read others opinions and some come to troll others. But if if someone is coming here influence the outcome of seasons, they are delusional.
An insider who talks to recruits on TOS is the one who posted what I quoted and said specifically it does affect recruiting and mentioned Gunner Stockton specifically. You are just plain wrong. This has been a common point of discussion around here over the years and someone who has been working in recruiting for years just came out and confirmed that you absolutely can impact recruiting on these boards.

but this was an insider on TOS stating the constant attacks on our coaches and program ARE negatively affecting our recruiting.

It's obvious we believe completely different things about the impact of message boards.

But I dont find it surprising that people who either run pay sites, or pay money to join pay sites are the ones arguing how impactful they are.

You must not remember all the people who hated Shaw and wanted him benched...
Absolutely do. I was always a Shaw guy and never understood why Garcia was so propped up. I was ripped up one side and down the other. In the end it didn’t matter one bit what message boards said.

As if to prove my point for me.

Trolling supposedly was flooding threads and being "over the top negative". Now its definition seems to be shifting....
Are you not hijacking this thread to beat your drum over and over denying what was clearly stated? Arguing for the case of and encouraging the plight of those who do nothing but post negativity? Twisting the meaning of what others say to suit your POV and denigrating people for trying to do the right thing? Smells an awful lot like trolling to me. Call it what you want- smartass negative comments like yours are not helpful. Oh wait, you are a “realist” right? You are what your screen name says you are- a “lurker” who only pops up when you see an opportunity to dig somebody- that is most certainly trolling. You claim to want civil discourse and all you do is pick fights.

That is not the case; its about the program. The fan sees the record; it dictates how he can *discuss* the program, whether he does or does not have the upper hand with his clemson friends etc.

The athlete sees the program; the whos and the whats. Where and under whom he chooses to spend the next four or whatever years of his life and career beyond, and how he will benefit and grow from that choice. He hears, sees, and experiences things along these lines that the fan does not. Potential success of the program is a factor no doubt, but hardly the primary.

Fan character is MOST DEFINITELY a factor as well, and has been a relatively significant plus for us in the past; that is eroding, again most definitely. The fan watches and listens to espn talking head one liners and rhetoric and feels empowered that he, the fan, too has this pegged. He does not.

And contrare, the "negative posts" of the social media coaches being referred to both on here and by potential recruits are INDEED outlandish, and indicative of an ignorant fanbase. It is neither a warm and fuzzy nor a good look.
200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT