ADVERTISEMENT

just for discussion....

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
If we beat Georgia and then on Saturday. LSU beats Kentucky and Vanderbilt beats Texas A&M. Our game against Arkansas will be for first place in the regular season title with the four other teams, but if we lose we will be out of the top four. Would you be willing to risk it? Plus I think we would be the number one seed?

We lose no top 4. We win conf title. Or just let Kentucky and Texas A&M win and we are guaranteed a top four spots but no regular season conference title.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Before we as fans think about the miracle combination that would put us in a 5 way tie for first place. We (our team) NEEDs to beat Georgia!!! This will get us back into a tie with Vandy and LSU (11-6) who have already won their first game this week. TAM and Kentucky are tied for first in the SEC at 12-5. We know what we have to do to hold serve with Vandy and LSU and to stay one game behind AM and Ky. After Thursday night we will either be tied with Vandy and LSU...or in 5th place. After Thursday night I will be ready to discuss what you are proposing. At 11-6 (after a win Thursday) our team will know where they stand. Vandy plays at TAM at noon. LSU plays at Kentucky at 2:00...we play at Arkansas at 5:00. Just win!!

Reactions: whythis28
We lose no top 4. We win conf title. Or just let Kentucky and Texas A&M win and we are guaranteed a top four spots but no regular season conference title.

If we win out there is A CHANCE that a combination of TAM, Ky, LSU, wins/losses would result in a 4 way tie for first place in the SEC...(I guess we could claim a share with whatever bragging rights that entails...Ring? Hang a banner? etc...if ALL those what if's came into play we would FOR SEC TOURNAMENT seeding purposes (I THINK) finish as the second seed because of tie breakers over Vandy, TAM, and LSU.

We have no control over "just letting Kentucky and TAM win" If we win two and 'just let them win" over Vandy, the we would finish in third place with no claim to the title, they would be tied and we would be the third seed.

There are several other possibilities regarding IF KY loses or IF TAM loses...the problem we have right now is that TAM is on a 5 game winning streak and Vandy is on a 4 game winning streak and we are coming off a road LOSS to Miss St. Lundardi has dropped us to a 9 seed. All these other teams are now vying with us for the double bye in the SEC tournament. We can start controlling OUR destiny Thursday...at home vs Ga... Sr. Night. Just win!!

Could you let me in on what he's proposing? I think quite of few of us don't understand. Is he suggesting we lose to Arkansas on purpose? Sounds like Marco Rubio's campaign strategy.

What he is hoping is that we win two and Kentucky and AM lose home games to LSU and Vandy. ie "we let Ky and AM lose"

What he is hoping is that we win two and Kentucky and AM lose home games to LSU and Vandy. ie "we let Ky and AM lose"
Yes, if that happens and we beat Arkansas we are the number one seed. But of course if we lose Arkansas we won't be in the top four and we won't get a bye

I do not think we will be the no. 1 seed in the SEC tournament if your scenario plays out. I think we WILL be able to say that we tied for first place in the conference but I think Kentucky at 12-7 would get the no. 1 seed since they beat us at home. Isn't that where the tiebreaker comes into play?

I do not think we will be the no. 1 seed in the SEC tournament if your scenario plays out. I think we WILL be able to say that we tied for first place in the conference but I think Kentucky at 12-7 would get the no. 1 seed since they beat us at home. Isn't that where the tiebreaker comes into play?
We would be 3-1 against the other teams. We would be 1 seed.

Yes, if that happens and we beat Arkansas we are the number one seed. But of course if we lose Arkansas we won't be in the top four and we won't get a bye

If I'm not mistaken, Kentucky holds the tie breaker over us. So, they will have to lose an extra game?

Sorry guys I didn't mean to make everybody head hurt . Lol.

So you are saying that if two teams are tied you go head to head results...but if 5 teams are tied you go to the team that has the best record against the 4 other teams??

So you are saying that if two teams are tied you go head to head results...but if 5 teams are tied you go to the team that has the best record against the 4 other teams??
I think ?..........lol. I'm sorry yall.

Then again, I guess that's what you're trying to explain...lol

IMHO: As much as I dearly love the Gamecocks across all sports, our MBB team is just way too inconsistent this year to deserve the number 1 seed with losing to inferior teams on the road. This is where consistency of winning and consistency of losing to inferior teams will make or break you consistently. Maybe that will make your head hurt more, but it is what it is. I am pulling for them wholeheartedly, but would be hesitant to place a bet, even a dollar.

If I'm not mistaken, Kentucky holds the tie breaker over us. So, they will have to lose an extra game?

Not if there are multiple teams tied for first. If us, Kentucky, A&M and LSU tie for first then we are the number 1 seed because we beat 2 of the other 3 tied teams while UK lost to LSU twice and A&M once. That eliminates UK and we beat A&M and LSU head to head so WE are numero uno.

Not if there are multiple teams tied for first. If us, Kentucky, A&M and LSU tie for first then we are the number 1 seed because we beat 2 of the other 3 tied teams while UK lost to LSU twice and A&M once. That eliminates UK and we beat A&M and LSU head to head so WE are numero uno.

I like indeed.....

IMHO: As much as I dearly love the Gamecocks across all sports, our MBB team is just way too inconsistent this year to deserve the number 1 seed with losing to inferior teams on the road. This is where consistency of winning and consistency of losing to inferior teams will make or break you consistently. Maybe that will make your head hurt more, but it is what it is. I am pulling for them wholeheartedly, but would be hesitant to place a bet, even a dollar.

What? You mean teams like Auburn, Bama, UT, and Miss St? All of whom have beaten at least one team ahead of us on the road including the Big Blue losing to Auburn, the 2nd worse team in the league. Are they too not deserving of the number one seed? If we have the tie breakers, we deserve the seed. Just win the last two and hope it happens. You guys have got to give up the "struggling on the road" argument against your OWN team. It's par for the course in the SEC and in college basketball in general.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT