ADVERTISEMENT

Just for fun...

Jon Snow

Dec 17, 2012
With all the debate of who should or shouldn't be hired to the football coaching staff, I got to thinking; Who would be on my All-Garbage Gamecock Coaching Staff?

I don't have the brain-power nor desire for heavy research right now, but I'll give a few of my choices.

Head Coach: For me, this clearly is a two-man battle between Brad Scott and Sparky Woods. Brad did actually win our first bowl game, while Sparky never coached in a bowl game. (That's another fun conversation to have...exactly how stupid was our administration in 1989 and 1990 to actually TURN DOWN bowl offers? I remember the company line was that the bowl would interfere with exam schedules and attending would be cost-prohibitive for the team. Still, Sparky left here on much better terms, and left a much better team in place. So, worst head coach=Brad Scott

Offensive Coordinator: I want to place Al Groh here, for his lack of identity during the 1988 season...but instead, I name Skip Holtz. Yeah, skip doesn't deserve all of the blame for what our offense became from 2002-4 (everyone remembers quarterback draw, quarterback draw, long fade pass that goes out of bounds because Lou is scared of turnovers). But still...

Defensive Coordinator: Wally Burnham. No reasons needed.

We did have some teams where the WR couldn’t catch so Ryan Brewer became our most reliable receiver. Whom ever was coaching the WR around that time

Skip Holtz? Skip was great when daddy would get out of his way.

And how Lorenzo Ward isn't at the top of everyone's worst ever DC list I just don't understand. And yes, I remember the Wally years all too well.

Skip Holtz? Skip was great when daddy would get out of his way.

And how Lorenzo Ward isn't at the top of everyone's worst ever DC list I just don't understand. And yes, I remember the Wally years all too well.
I think I picked Skip because of all of the peripheral issues....not just his offense. Like you said, Lou was a huge problem with the offense. Still, when we spent 3 straight seasons running the qb draw and throwing long sideline passes to avoid interceptions, that was a bad offense. Then, at the end, were thr stories about recruiting hostesses, demotions, bad chemistry, etc.

Offense- John Hunt
Defense- John Hoke

I hope those guys send SOS a Christmas card every year. He did some serious looking out for those two (his son as well, but that could be expected). Hoke was paid $1.5 million, for what? At least Whammy delivered Clowney (no, it wasn't Ellis Johnson). Hoke was a joke.

I think I picked Skip because of all of the peripheral issues....not just his offense. Like you said, Lou was a huge problem with the offense. Still, when we spent 3 straight seasons running the qb draw and throwing long sideline passes to avoid interceptions, that was a bad offense. Then, at the end, were thr stories about recruiting hostesses, demotions, bad chemistry, etc.

Have you watch Ohio State play? You just described Urban Meyer's offense. Meyer as won 3 national titles. Believe or not, Skip Holtz was Urban Meyer's boss (and Dan Mullen's as well) at Notre Dame. Now they are head coaches at Ohio State and Florida and Skip is coaching in conference USA. Skip is a conference USA coach. That's who he is. No shame in that, but Lou was guilty of nepotism, not interfering in Skip's awesome offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT