ADVERTISEMENT

Just for the sake of discussion....

The 2010 team went into regional play at 43-15 this year is 42-15....hummmm.;)
Actually, there are so many similarities in the two teams, it's ridiculous. Almost identical circumstances throughout the year.

* Both fell flat on their faces against CU, only to reel off winning streaks following.
* Both were within one game of the conference title.
* Both had a decent 1 and 2 starter with questions beyond that. Even deep into the post season.
* Both teams didn't know who the closer was until the last half of the season.
* Both teams fielded very well, and lost games due to lack of one clutch hit. (Until the NCAAT for 2010)
* Both teams went 0-2 in Hoover.
* Overall records 43-15 (21-9), 42-15 (20-9). Only difference was a canceled game due to weather.

It's uncanny. Wish we could get the same result.

Actually, there are so many similarities in the two teams, it's ridiculous. Almost identical circumstances throughout the year.

* Both fell flat on their faces against CU, only to reel off winning streaks following.
* Both had a decent 1 and 2 starter with questions beyond that. Even deep into the post season.
* Both teams fielded very well, and lost games due to lack of one clutch hit. (Until the NCAAT for 2010)
* Overall records 43-15 (21-9), 42-15 (20-9). Only difference was a canceled game due to weather.

Damn good post Beckham

We have had good pitching and great defense all year minus that 5 error game in the tournament. We've had plenty of rest now so let's see what happens. I hope the layoff cleared Jones head and he looks at this as a bland new season...which it is.

Good Lord y'all give it a rest with the fault finding with this team! I swear I'd hate to share a foxhole with you. All the post is about is trying to say anything that can happen and y'all can't stand it can ya?

And JFTR...

Fielding
2010 .975% for total season
2016 .978% to date

Pitching
2010 ERA 3.45 for total season
2016 ERA 3.32 to date

Yes, these are 2010 end of season stats, but not a hairs difference and certainly not enough to claim this team isn't in the same league.

And yeah I think the 2010 was a little more talented, but to take away from these teams accomplishments is an injustice and highly disrespectful...especially while they are still playing.

Makes me hope they go on a tear even more and finish out undefeated!

Last edited by a moderator:
And JFTR...

Fielding
2016 .978% to date

Pitching
2016 ERA 3.32 to date

Yes, these are 2010 end of season stats, but not a hairs difference and certainly not enough to claim this team isn't in the same league.

And yeah I think the 2010 was a little more talented, but to take away from these teams accomplishments is an injustice and highly disrespectful...especially while they are still playing.

Thank you Bigger for showing these know it all "fans" they don't know what they're talking about. They need to do a little research before rattling off false stats. This is a good baseball team if you'd just LOOK at the stats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great post.

I brought up some of these a few weeks ago in response to a troll saying the comparison was unfounded. My favorite team of all time was 2010. I enjoy this years team about the same. Great group of talent.

Reactions: Out of Conference
They want to chance just to say I told you so it's what they live for. I wouldn't want them on my team, in my stands, nor would I want their $$.

Thank you Bigger for showing these know it all "fans" they don't know what they're talking about. They need to do a little research before rattling off false stats. This is a good baseball team if you'd just LOOK at the stats.
I'd venture to guess most of them never picked up a bat...or stole a base, turned a double play or scored on a squeeze...etc.
Hell I'd say some never made it to the Sarge more than a hand full of times...if ever.
All they appear to know is we won 2 titles, played for another one and have been to Omaha a lot recently and think we should make it every year.
SoCal, OreSt and even Okla as of late...and UTx are recent prime examples of how it ain't so easy to stay on top.

I'd venture to guess most of them never picked up a bat...or stole a base, turned a double play or scored on a squeeze...etc.
Hell I'd say some never made it to the Sarge more than a hand full of times...if ever.
All the know is we won 2 titles, played for another one and have been to Omaha a lot recently and think we should make it every year.
SoCal, OreSt and even Okla as of late...and UTx are recent prime examples of how it ain't so easy to stay on top.
It's called the reality of sports and how much of a big deal a NC is, you have to be good but lucky too somewhere along the line to stay yearly contenders. Anyone who has competed on any level other than little league would know that. It ain't rocket science.

And JFTR...

Fielding
2016 .978% to date

Pitching
2016 ERA 3.32 to date

Thanks. I was about to research this for the response. The teams are almost identical.

Last edited:
Pitching and defense on that team were more reliable - much more.
Not really. This team fields better.

Also, the combination of Cooper/Dyson is similar to Schmidt/Webb. Both teams lacked a great Sunday pitcher, which is why Jay Brown didn't pitch much in the post season in 2010, and it is the reason that Tanner took a chance and started Roth. The rest is history.

In addition to that. Tyler Webb and John Taylor were a tandem of closers to start the 2010 season before we finally figured out that Price was the guy. Very similar to Reagan closing until Tyler Johnson was ready this year.

Reagan, Scott, Hill, and Widener now take on the same roles that Roth, Matta, Webb, and Taylor did in 2010.

The list goes on.

Pitching and defense on that team were more reliable - much more.
Doubtful the defense was more reliable in terms of percent fielding or the difference isn't very much. This year's team had an extremely high percent fielding stat. I thought I heard one of the Bama announcers say it was one of the highest in SC team history.

That team (2010) had an "IT" factor that this team hasnt shown. Lets hope that changes this weekend and next... IMO the 2010 team played with a "Never say die" attitude, that this team hasnt shown yet... HOWEVER, I do expect them to be ready, lets see what Jones And DTW can do... they havent experienced this yet..

And JFTR...

Fielding
2016 .978% to date

Pitching
2016 ERA 3.32 to date

.345? .332? Thats 1 run every 3 games!

Doubtful the defense was more reliable in terms of percent fielding or the difference isn't very much. This year's team had an extremely high percent fielding stat. I thought I heard one of the Bama announcers say it was one of the highest in SC team history.
Lots of timely fielding "gems" on the 2010 team, not taking anything away from this team in terms of overall defense.

That team (2010) had an "IT" factor that this team hasnt shown. Lets hope that changes this weekend and next... IMO the 2010 team played with a "Never say die" attitude, that this team hasnt shown yet... HOWEVER, I do expect them to be ready, lets see what Jones And DTW can do... they havent experienced this yet..
We had that EYE OF THE TIGER then bud but I don't see that from this team. This team is good, Very good and maybe some bells will ring and we go all the way who knows but I can only hope..... Still need a hitting coach regardless haha..... Go Cocks Win Anyway!!!!!!!

Reactions: cockofdawn
Schmidt & Webb lead the SEC in strikeouts so you can chew on that before going to bed ;)
I'll refer you to the answer I gave some moments ago. Let the season play out and judge the respective teams both statistically AND in the most important criterion of all, results.

I'll refer you to the answer I gave some moments ago. Let the season play out and judge the respective teams both statistically AND in the most important criterion of all, results.
Yes sir! Results is the only thing that matters. You can lead 399 laps in a 400 lap race but if you don't lead that last one those 399 didn't really mean anything other than some points etc... you move on by WINNING not just being good at times and so forth and so on ha

Reactions: king ward
The bottom line is this team has the make up for a possible run to Omaha and if you can't get excited about seeing what they can do, then maybe baseball isn't the sport for you as a fan. I can't wait to see how it plays out.
Hope they can make the statement that gamecock baseball is back!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT