ADVERTISEMENT

Just in case you thought there had to be some kind of end to stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
On the name "Buccaneers."

"Perhaps time has dulled us to the atrocities committed by these 17th and 18th century outlaws. Or perhaps it’s the fact that if pirates of the Golden Age were bloodthirsty, so too were the nations who opposed them. They willingly and purposefully massacred millions of African and Indigenous peoples in the name of colonization. Pirates, then, are seen as romantic heroes — the underdogs fighting the establishment — whom historian Marcus Rediker refers to as proto-democratic, egalitarian and multicultural.
Should we celebrate their complicated legacy? It’s a question Tampa Bay has to contend with as we collectively contemplate other major sports mascots with dubious legacies, like their Super Bowl rivals in Kansas City."

Oh hell. Here comes a league of Washington Football team, Tampa football team, Carolina football team. Heaven forbid a city has two teams. LA football team and LA's other football team. Fans cheering go football team and no one knowing who they were cheering for. Of course there would be no Super bowl winning team. Each football team would get participation trophies. Certainly no MVP. Everybody gets a small trophy for being on the team . The professional version of Tenn Football with their life winner trophies.

The whole discussion is meaningless, and stupid. It's a nickname. Has our society reached that point that it has become so soft that any word that hurts one person's feelings, for whatever reason, should be banned. I am sure that somebody along the way has run across a Gamecock that wasn't in a good mood and caught the bad end of it. Am sure they are triggered by the word and would no doubt like USC to change their mascot. People need to put their big boy pants on and go on with important things in life. Of course, with the NFL trying to outdo the NBA as the "woke" league, it wou

The whole discussion is meaningless, and stupid. It's a nickname. Has our society reached that point that it has become so soft that any word that hurts one person's feelings, for whatever reason, should be banned. I am sure that somebody along the way has run across a Gamecock that wasn't in a good mood and caught the bad end of it. Am sure they are triggered by the word and would no doubt like USC to change their mascot. People need to put their big boy pants on and go on with important things in life. Of course, with the NFL trying to outdo the NBA as the "woke" league, it wou
Yes.

It only logically follows from what preceded it.

Has our society reached that point that it has become so soft that any word that hurts one person's feelings, for whatever reason, should be banned
Our society has reached a point that it no longer recognizes the right to free speech. It's now considered punishable whenever the wrong person disagrees. And the media, politicians and corporations play along with it to achieve their ends. But it will eat them as well. Today's woke person is tomorrow's hateful bigot as soon as the goalposts move again.

The author is dead on target! We also need to stop saying, "Bless you" after someone sneezes....there is no Black Plague anymore. We should now say it after someone coughs. C'mon people....wisen up!

And we should simply change our mascot to the "Spurless Roosters"....or "Leghorns" if Warner Brothers/Looney Tunes" allows....or maybe "Walky Talky Hawkies"

I also want to pay more taxes, not work much, give prizes to everyone and make all job hires through a lottery.

We will need bigger government to make this happen....and they should give themselves raises whenever they want.

Our society has reached a point that it no longer recognizes the right to free speech. It's now considered punishable whenever the wrong person disagrees. And the media, politicians and corporations play along with it to achieve their ends. But it will eat them as well. Today's woke person is tomorrow's hateful bigot as soon as the goalposts move again.

Didn't you watch the superbowl commercials last night? The Reunited States of America....aka the RSA! Its all good now.

Didn't you watch the superbowl commercials last night? The Reunited States of America....aka the RSA! Its all good now.
I was amazed by how many people liked that commercial. It was like it was written by Stalin or Lenin.
Everything in the country belongs to everyone. No need for personal property or personal rights, only those deemed reasonable by your loving government caretakers.

Come! Enjoy sports by the collection of players for the team of the central west area of the southeastern-most state!

• Haha
Reactions: BlueCord86
Sure it does. Free speech has not been limited in any manner or form. Being free to say something, however, doesn't absolve you from the consequences of doing so.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard . Ok hear me out .. I get the Redskin thing . Redskins was a derogatory term toward native Americans . Like calling a team the Atlanta honkies . I get that . The Seminole nation has no problem whatsoever with the FSU mascot . They actually take pride and Embrace it . Not to mention FSU donates millions to the Seminole nation . It’s not an offensive term . However the other stuff is just ridiculous. Pirates , Buccaneers, Raiders etc etc so stupid . If anything they represent something cool . Pirates were a mix mash of many races , countries , cultures , genders and languages . We’re they criminals ... hell yeah but they were cool . If anyone was criminal at the time it was the expansionist countries that the pirates were basically sticking it to . The lady who wrote this article needs to walk the plank .

Sure it does. Free speech has not been limited in any manner or form. Being free to say something, however, doesn't absolve you from the consequences of doing so.
Canceling people you disagree with is severely limiting free speech in this country. People are afraid to say what they really believe anymore. You must be in the woke echo chamber or pay those consequences you speak of.

I want to preach about diversity while secretly wishing everyone was the same.
The whole "preaching" and "teaching" BS needs and soon will stop. The nickname thing is and has been a lib platform and is laughable. Not knowing the WORLD'S history and the barbarism that was called "life" by about every single human and animal until about the mid 1900s isn't something to be proud. The very ones who want to preach/teach obviously don't know very much or else they would be informed enough to know they are speaking whilst both feet are in their own mouth.

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard . Ok hear me out .. I get the Redskin thing . Redskins was a derogatory term toward native Americans . Like calling a team the Atlanta honkies . I get that . The Seminole nation has no problem whatsoever with the FSU mascot . They actually take pride and Embrace it . Not to mention FSU donates millions to the Seminole nation . It’s not an offensive term . However the other stuff is just ridiculous. Pirates , Buccaneers, Raiders etc etc so stupid . If anything they represent something cool . Pirates were a mix mash of many races , countries , cultures , genders and languages . We’re they criminals ... hell yeah but they were cool . If anyone was criminal at the time it was the expansionist countries that the pirates were basically sticking it to . The lady who wrote this article needs to walk the plank .
You are right about the Buccaneers....came from everywhere in the world...all races, etc. I don't think Redskin should be outlawed...just like I don't think the 'Fightin' Irish' should be outlawed despite my having at least 20% Irish ancestry. I also don't think Pirates name should be outlawed even though modern day Somalian pirates murder and rob constantly in certain parts of the world. Life is bigger than to take up pointless causes and bask in stupidity. Funny how people get real offended over injustices or outright atrocities 200-500 years ago....but don't blink an eye at present day similar and worse offenses.

Canceling people you disagree with is severely limiting free speech in this country. People are afraid to say what they really believe anymore. You must be in the woke echo chamber or pay those consequences you speak of.
"Cancelling"? How exactly do you "cancel" someone? Unless it is done by the government, it is not a limitation of your freedom of speech....PERIOD.

Reactions: wentzel25
"Cancelling"? How exactly do you "cancel" someone? Unless it is done by the government, it is not a limitation of your freedom of speech....PERIOD.
Anyone can violate the civil rights of others. People don't have the right to tell others what they can't say. It's guaranteed. If you don't know of anyone getting canceled, I don't know what country you're living in.

Legally, yes. However, the current "cancel culture" movement that is taking over society is making people feel as if they can't speak their mind if it doesn't fall in line with the popular mood of the day. Should society really have the power to destroy another's livelihood just because they feel differently or because they slip up and say something otherwise derogatory? What happened to simply sitting down with someone, discussing the reasons why, and hoping they will change (with regards to derogatory remarks)? Instead the first thing society does today is completely destroy all they've worked for, instead of trying to educate.

maybe we should just get the military to go around searching houses schools and libraries, round up and burn all the history books. that way our grandchildren will only hear of the way it used to be by word of mouth. but dont get caught speaking of these times. you get taken away.

Legally, yes. However, the current "cancel culture" movement that is taking over society is making people feel as if they can't speak their mind if it doesn't fall in line with the popular mood of the day. Should society really have the power to destroy another's livelihood just because they feel differently or because they slip up and say something otherwise derogatory? What happened to simply sitting down with someone, discussing the reasons why, and hoping they will change (with regards to derogatory remarks)? Instead the first thing society does today is completely destroy all they've worked for, instead of trying to educate.
ALWAYS has been the case throughout our history. From abolitionists to the Red Scare to the Hollywood black lists and so on....there has seldom been a moment in our national history when some group hasn't felt marginalized because of their beliefs or their speech.

ALWAYS has been the case throughout our history. From abolitionists to the Red Scare to the Hollywood black lists and so on....there has seldom been a moment in our national history when some group hasn't felt marginalized because of their beliefs or their speech.
I agree. However, today, it's the worst it's ever been, and I don't see it getting better.

I agree. However, today, it's the worst it's ever been, and I don't see it getting better.
It's nowhere near worse. It may seem that way because it is beginning to affect those who have been "in power" for so long and it is impacting their long-held belief system. But it is no where near worse than what abolitionists, suffragettes, labor workers collectives, Irish, Italians, those seeking the right to vote in the 1940's through the 1960's suffered....no where close.

If you believe your civil rights had been violated by someone, then sue them in a court of law.

Can't tell you how many times I have heard "So and so violated my civil rights." Hard to hold a laugh once you hear the actual story.
Social media sites have been protected by the government as they continue to moderate the public discourse.

Social media sites have been protected by the government as they continue to moderate the public discourse.
How have they been protected for that. Social media companies have policies and as private corporations they can do what they wish. If you don't like what they do, you are free as a bird to start another one to compete with them.

It's nowhere near worse. It may seem that way because it is beginning to affect those who have been "in power" for so long and it is impacting their long-held belief system. But it is no where near worse than what abolitionists, suffragettes, labor workers collectives, Irish, Italians, those seeking the right to vote in the 1940's through the 1960's suffered....no where close.
I'm not talking about how it's affecting those in power. It's affecting the regular person walking down the street. Why the heck should my child be afraid to voice his opinions because they may not be the "popular" ones and he doesn't want to risk his future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT