ADVERTISEMENT

Just watch the Outback Bowl again...

myrtlecock

Nov 30, 1998
I have been saving it on my DVR for the dark time like this and hadn't had a chance to watch it until last night. A lot was said on TV during our spring game about how winning that game put a completely different expectation for us in the offseason. I don't disagree. Several media pundits have come out in the last couple of weeks and picked us as dark horses to win the East and or have a good season.

The big question for me is just how good was Michigan? Honestly they beat us pretty well for about two and a half quarters. I saw an interesting statistic yesterday. Michigan had the lowest percentage of missed tackles of any team in the NCAA last year. The number was something like 10.5%. the Gamecocks were actually pretty high on that list too coming in in the top 10 I think at 12.5% or so. So we had quite a defensive struggle until we are able to get our offense on track late in the game. If Michigan had had at least a decent quarterback we probably lose.

There were a whole bunch of turnovers and a lot of miscues by both teams during the game. One could say all that sort of evened out. One could also say we were fairly lucky that we got the ball on their end of the field and got some momentum from it. That and one huge pass to Shi Smith were the difference in the game. I do think our offensive line had a fire lit under them in the second half and did pretty well against a highly-touted Michigan defensive front.

One thing I took away after watching last night is that the offense under McClendon was still very much a work in progress. Hopefully the good things we're hearing about the offensive line and all this time to work on it are going to make a difference.

Here's hoping.

I think Michigan had a very good defense, but had some deficiencies on offense. We seemed to be a little discombobulated to start the game especially on offense. One thing that needs to change starting this year is Bentley needs to play more composed even when opposing teams are jawing at him. I’ll admit Michigan was doing a lot of smack talking at the beginning of the game (all the more reason why the comeback was so sweet) and it seemed to get in Bentley’s Head a little. When this happens he seems to press and try to force plays. Its ok to be fiery, but you have to play poised.

Reactions: nc38 and myrtlecock
I noticed that both teams were little Chippy at times but I didn't really notice that Bentley was pressing any more than he does in almost any game. Also noticed if we weren't blocking worth a crap in the first half. On the whole I think Jake is very poised especially given his youth last year and the amount he has coming at him when we can't keep the Defenders off of him.

I noticed that both teams were little Chippy at times but I didn't really notice that Bentley was pressing any more than he does in almost any game. Also noticed if we weren't blocking worth a crap in the first half. On the whole I think Jake is very poised especially given his youth last year and the amount he has coming at him when we can't keep the Defenders off of him.
We adjusted at halftime. Kept an extra man back to help with blocking. That gave Jake time to throw the football.

Reactions: myrtlecock
The fact that Bentley was able to make big plays to break the game open, was a fantastic sign for the future. I also was very encouraged by our rushing attack in the 2nd half. However, I'm still hoping that the offense will be able to put together long time consuming drives that will give our defense a rest. It's important that this team learns to control the pace of the game. Way too many 3 and outs last season. With new OC, the Gamecock O wants to run a high number of plays, but the offense has to execute and stay on the field in order to accomplish that.

I have been saving it on my DVR for the dark time like this and hadn't had a chance to watch it until last night. A lot was said on TV during our spring game about how winning that game put a completely different expectation for us in the offseason. I don't disagree. Several media pundits have come out in the last couple of weeks and picked us as dark horses to win the East and or have a good season.

The big question for me is just how good was Michigan? Honestly they beat us pretty well for about two and a half quarters. I saw an interesting statistic yesterday. Michigan had the lowest percentage of missed tackles of any team in the NCAA last year. The number was something like 10.5%. the Gamecocks were actually pretty high on that list too coming in in the top 10 I think at 12.5% or so. So we had quite a defensive struggle until we are able to get our offense on track late in the game. If Michigan had had at least a decent quarterback we probably lose.

There were a whole bunch of turnovers and a lot of miscues by both teams during the game. One could say all that sort of evened out. One could also say we were fairly lucky that we got the ball on their end of the field and got some momentum from it. That and one huge pass to Shi Smith were the difference in the game. I do think our offensive line had a fire lit under them in the second half and did pretty well against a highly-touted Michigan defensive front.

One thing I took away after watching last night is that the offense under McClendon was still very much a work in progress. Hopefully the good things we're hearing about the offensive line and all this time to work on it are going to make a difference.

Here's hoping.
The game changed when Dowdle came in.

Michigan makes excuses for the butt wippin'. We just plain beat them.

The game changed when Dowdle came in.

I said the same thing on January 1st. Watching yesterday though it wasn't quite so obvious. He actually came in in the first half. He had a good run for the score after we got the ball down in their territory and certainly that was a huge difference in the game. But like I said we were getting beat pretty well until the line started blocking better.

We had a fight in us in the bowl game that we didn't seem to have during the regular season, especially against Kentucky and Clemson.

Reactions: vacock#
We wanted it more. I believe we took the Mich. trash talk seriously in the second half and got some fire under our butts. I told the young Mich. fan that talked smack the whole game I hope don't draw Mich. again we are tired kicking their arrogant butts. What does it mean when somebody flips their middle finger up is that a Mich. thing?

Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT