ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched SEC Storied "True Believer" again on ESPN about Spurrier...

mUSCle Gamecock

Jan 28, 1999
It originally aired on August 27, 2014 right before the last 2 seasons of humbleness. No matter what, Carolina has been blessed to have Steve Spurrier as our Head Coach. I loved seeing his past fire and confidence that spilled over into the team. Man, it just makes me feel so torn. I am so appreciative of all that he was done at USC but at the same time I am so frustrated at what we as fans are going through. I also know the HBC and the team are equally frustrated. However, to sink lower than Kentucky in football is heartbreaking after being #4 in the country. I hope we can turn it around and maybe surprise some folks and when more than 2 more ball games this year. But no matter what, I am proud to grow up being a Gamecock and to be a graduate of THE University of South Carolina!!

It originally aired on August 27, 2014 right before the last 2 seasons of humbleness. No matter what, Carolina has been blessed to have Steve Spurrier as our Head Coach. I loved seeing his past fire and confidence that spilled over into the team. Man, it just makes me feel so torn. I am so appreciative of all that he was done at USC but at the same time I am so frustrated at what we as fans are going through. I also know the HBC and the team are equally frustrated. However, to sink lower than Kentucky in football is heartbreaking after being #4 in the country. I hope we can turn it around and maybe surprise some folks and when more than 2 more ball games this year. But no matter what, I am proud to grow up being a Gamecock and to be a graduate of THE University of South Carolina!!
He's checked out.... Spurrier era is over.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
He's checked out.... Spurrier era is over.

I understand what you are saying, but he still has the rest of this year, and it certainly looks like he will be back next year as well. (Whether he has checked out or not.)

Its a well put together film. I enjoyed it.

However, 24 hours after seeing it for the first time, tex am delivered a death blow that our program has yet to recover from. I wouldn't mind that film disappearing for a while. The cockiness, no pun intended, just isn't the same when we're losing to UK and Missouri on the reg.

I understand what you are saying, but he still has the rest of this year, and it certainly looks like he will be back next year as well. (Whether he has checked out or not.)

He's done all he'll ever do here. What were getting now is all we're ever going to get. He's now holding our football program hostage. It sickens me to say that but it's the truth. He's now out there kissing Clemson's ass.

These are going to be some of the worst times ever for Carolina football and we won't begin to get better until he and his sons head for the beach.

We are very fortunate to have Spurrier as our coach. He is truly one of the great ones and took us to new heights. Unfortunately, he and his staff did not capitalize on their success, most evidenced by poor recruiting and player development. The fact that things degraded so quickly is somewhat mind blowing. It would be one thing to go from 4th in the nation to a competitive 8-4. But our team lacks fundamentals, like tackling and being able to complete passes. Truly, when you look at the team this year, there is something horribly wrong. We do not look or perform like even a mediocre, run of the mill team. Our players seem lost. Last night on Kornblut, Chuck Reedy could only shake his head and utter over and over "I don't know what you can do to fix this." I' m paraphrasing, but that is the gist of it.
I understand the conflict. I will always apreciate Spurrier and I want to see him retire with grace and dignity and get the respect he deserves. But the program needs a change now.

Reactions: gamecock ed
If he was a true believer he'd start releasing those commitments who should be playing at Presbyterian and get some real SEC talent on our board.

Spurrier hates the losing...negative media....recruiting....and that will be the reason he steps away. He will not subject himself to another year of this.......he will not....and this time no one will be able to talk him out of it...or will want to talk him out of it. The thought will be.."I am 70 years old and could be enjoying myself at the beach and on the golf course...I don't need this crap."

Uhhhh not. He is not coming back next year. He has checked out and just coasting this year. Hope assistant coaches are updating their resumes.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he is ready to go. I think it would be best for all if he would leave and enjoy his retirement years so we can start to rebuild again. But I'm not completely convinced that Spurrier has the same mindset.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he is ready to go. I think it would be best for all if he would leave and enjoy his retirement years so we can start to rebuild again. But I'm not completely convinced that Spurrier has the same mindset.

Just listening to him to me it's obvious. He has such a passive response to almost everything. There's no energy and it is carrying over to the play on the field.

He's done all he'll ever do here. What were getting now is all we're ever going to get. He's now holding our football program hostage. It sickens me to say that but it's the truth. He's now out there kissing Clemson's ass.

These are going to be some of the worst times ever for Carolina football and we won't begin to get better until he and his sons head for the beach.
I admit I agree with this. Spurrier doesn't have the energy to rebuild this team again. With each loss you can see how deflated he is. I don't think the good times outweigh the bad anymore & that's why I believe he'll resign at the end of the season. If he were to say he's coming back I'd simply ask "why?" Staying at this point does more harm than good & thinking anything different is holding onto something that isn't there. We had an amazing run with Spurrier & had he been 10-15 years younger he may take on the challenge of trying to right this ship, but when your HC willingly admits that he doesn't work as hard as other coaches along with our program being on the decline, its time to head in a different direction.

Reactions: gamecock ed
What that feature taught me is that Spurrier had finally bought into all the hype that "this was the year" we would break through and be true contenders for SECC. Practically everyone had picked us to win the East before the first game was played. However, it was very well done and was enough for me to believe we could get to the promised land that season. I'm sure I will enjoy it more a few years down the road, but right now it just leaves a bad taste.

Spurrier hates the losing...negative media....recruiting....and that will be the reason he steps away. He will not subject himself to another year of this.......he will not....and this time no one will be able to talk him out of it...or will want to talk him out of it. The thought will be.."I am 70 years old and could be enjoying myself at the beach and on the golf course...I don't need this crap."
Maybe five years ago this was true. I no longer believe it.

When was the last time he even mentioned competing for SEC titles? He used to do that all the time even when we had no shot at all. I never hear it anymore or I missed the one time he said it. I think he's changed to our detriment.

He continually talked about it untilaround 2013 when he realized his best teams were behind him. Then he said he has realized winning the SEC isn't everything.

He is a great coach but he is just stuck in a bad situation.
He is stuck in the situation HE created. The deal about making Jay Graham Recruiting coordinator on Friday, then taking it away on Monday only to give it to Jr. is why we have frigging nepotism laws. I new when he left UT to go to FSU , that tail he left here to go to his alma mater was BS. Then Beamer was screwed over. Butler and Fitzgerald are gone to Penn State and now at Houston(NFL). We lose Lawing, one of the best defensive line coaches and recruiters anywhere. Gillespie and Johson and replace them with the Southern Miss staff. Or Citadel and App State. Our staff is crap. Our talent level is Southern Conference. So if he gave a damn about this school he would resign. But he wants that 12 mil and Jr. to get paid. While many seem to be elated with 3 11 win seasons in 12 years, that's not what I had in mind for the money we have shelled out. He has had one damn QB in all this time .

Reactions: lostcock
The most annoying thing for me and its because I've always put USC above Spurrier (while appreciating what he's achieved) is the potential notion we wore him out, or we sullied his legend, but this is all on you Steve. You could've gone out any way you wanted pretty much, but you chose the hands-off approach. I honestly hope the next coach we get is not only the best of the best, but he realizes the work required for ANY SEC program....even if you are a legend.

Coach Spurrier will not resign, nor retire. The old ball coach has SC by the balls. Yes, you will negotiate with him and pay him his $12,000,000 or he will stay as HBC. He has a contract. Your new coach will not want his sons on his staff so Spurrier "needs" his settlement. And, yeah, I know he has millions but people who have millions never have enough. SC will have to pay him to get rid of him because being coldly truthful you cannot afford to keep him for three more years. It is much, much cheaper to GIVE him $12,000,000 than it would be to let him hang around for another three years playing golf, telling corny jokes, etc. I'm almost 70 and regardless of your past successes life does wear you down. You lose that fire in your gut. You want to take life at a slower pace. I see those traits in Coach Spurrier today. Your athletic director who gave SOS the last extension should have seen it as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT