ADVERTISEMENT

Kereon Joyner

USCBIRDS

Oct 9, 2006
i agree with Tom Luginbill. DJ is never going to be a QB in the NFL. He is an “elite” athlete though. He/we would be better off, if he switched positions. He needs to be another Percy Harvin...in the backfield or the slot. He needs to get the ball in space. He can make a lot of money at the next level. Percy Harvin and Christian McCaffrey were high first rounders.

i agree with Tom Luginbill. DJ is never going to be a QB in the NFL. He is an “elite” athlete though. He/we would be better off, if he switched positions. He needs to be another Percy Harvin...in the backfield or the slot. He needs to get the ball in space. He can make a lot of money at the next level. Percy Harvin and Christian McCaffrey were high first rounders.

What is your opinion based on? Spring practice?

Reactions: coolcock2001
I’m from Mount Pleasant...I’ve seen DJ play several times. He’s not a polished passer. While I believe he’s better than McIllwain, he’s never going to be a consistent passer. NFL QBs are the most accurate passers in the World. I realize that he was promised an opportunity at QB, but in my opinion, that’s not the best thing for him or the team.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I’m from Mount Pleasant...I’ve seen DJ play several times. He’s not a polished passer. While I believe he’s better than McIllwain, he’s never going to be a consistent passer. NFL QBs are the most accurate passers in the World. I realize that he was promised an opportunity at QB, but in my opinion, that’s not the best thing for him or the team.

Seems kind of hard to say "he's never". I bet some people said the same thing about Dylan Thompson.

Completing over 60% of his passes? He should get a chance to play QB. If he doesn't progress or is buried in the depth chart, give him an option to switch positions. It just seems WAY too early to declare that, IMHO.

Melvin Ingram and Chris Culliver are two helpful stories in regards to Joyner
Culliver was hell bent to be a receiver until he realized he was a better db and that was where his payday was.

Ingram fought putting his hand in the dirt for two years until he went "holy crap, I can be really good at this and there is money to be made."
Joyner is a bright kid, he will be a success at QB or more likely follow the money.

Joyner will be given every chance to be a QB at Carolina and I wouldn't bet against him developing into a very good one. I think if he takes a red shirt- he will remain on the QB track for at least 2-3 years. In any case, he is a good player and by all accounts a great kid. I'm glad he's a Gamecock!

If Ryan Hilinski does indeed sign with us you’ll likely see Jake here two more seasons and then Hilinski at QB. It’s possible Joyner could take over but he has a long way to go. I do think he’ll be given the chance to be the QB. I think that’s what was promised to him. When / if Hilinski wins that job, then you’ll see DJ switch to another position. He’s too good of an athlete to have sitting on the sidelines as a backup. I’m sure he’ll have a package just for him while he’s here regardless of his position.

Why worry about what a young man can do 4 years from now in the NFL? Let's see what he'll be about to do for US instead. I'm rootin' for him to do well here.

It’s a valid point but if you aren’t doing what’s best for a kid to get them to the NFL you’ll have a hard time luring in other recruits. Players want to go where they can make it to the NFL. The best thing SC can do for their program is to do what is best for the players that come here and that’s getting them prepared for the next step after SC football. That’s why Marcus Lattimore is going to change this program from a recruiting standpoint. What better person to be able to talk about NFL or life after football than him. Most players done make it to the NFL so he’ll have them prepared for life which parents have to love. I think we are already seeing recruits buying into what he’s doing here. This is why you see programs posting how much $ their former players are making in the NFL. It makes an impact.

Joyner wasn't recruited for the NFL..He is to be a college QB at USC!!

Joyner will be given every chance to be a QB at Carolina and I wouldn't bet against him developing into a very good one. I think if he takes a red shirt- he will remain on the QB track for at least 2-3 years. In any case, he is a good player and by all accounts a great kid. I'm glad he's a Gamecock!

I would be very surprised if we don't see Joyner play some wildcat next year.

How many great college QBs were not good enough for the pro game.. It's a very distinguished list that include quite a few Heisman winners

Good point. A guy like Tebow could still be playing if he was willing to make a position change. If Joyner wants to play QB that’s his decision. He may be forfeiting some $$ down the line though. But even if he were to switch there is no guarantee he’d make it to the NFL.

I will say this though, the quality of NFL QB play seems to drop every year. I think we are seeing the last great QBs now that we aren’t moving to dual threat guys.

I would be very surprised if we don't see Joyner play some wildcat next year.
William Muschamp and Brian McClendon will not put that young man on the field and tell him not to throw the football... Defenses are not stupid.. They'll just put 9 in the box.. When Joyner is on the field he will run our offense as best he knows how.. Obviously Warner won't ask him to make decisions like Bentley a 3,rd year player is doing... But he won't be a gimmick... You can do that better with a running back

Reactions: VirgilCaine
William Muschamp and Brian McClendon will not put that young man on the field and tell him not to throw the football... Defenses are not stupid.. They'll just put 9 in the box.. When Joyner is on the field he will run our offense as best he knows how.. Obviously Warner won't ask him to make decisions like Bentley a 3,rd year player is doing... But he won't be a gimmick... You can do that better with a running back

I don't recall saying he would be told not to throw the ball. He completed over 60% of his passes in HS.

Reactions: rogue cock
If Ryan Hilinski does indeed sign with us you’ll likely see Jake here two more seasons and then Hilinski at QB. It’s possible Joyner could take over but he has a long way to go. I do think he’ll be given the chance to be the QB. I think that’s what was promised to him. When / if Hilinski wins that job, then you’ll see DJ switch to another position. He’s too good of an athlete to have sitting on the sidelines as a backup. I’m sure he’ll have a package just for him while he’s here regardless of his position.

this High School QB turned out just fine..
giphy.gif

Jake will come back Senior year and Hilinksi will either redshirt or dabble a little. But Hilinksi is a true passer in Warner’s system. Joyner will have some packages but I don’t know how much he will play. Either way glad to have both as options than nothing.

If Joyner decides to switch positions, i'd say he was going to be an academic all american before he opened a book

Because no HS QB ever improved once they got to college. SMH

He *may not* end up a QB at USC, but for Luginbill - or anyone else - to use the word "never" before the kid even makes it to his first season is just asinine.

Reactions: cocky4
What the heck are you talking about?

Dude stop the bs.. Everyone knows wildcat QBs are put in to run some read options because they can't throw... That is precisely what you meant whether you want to admit it or not.. Muschamp and BMac have said he is a QB period... With the new redshirt rules i am sure he will play in at least 4 games and throw a few passes

Reactions: VirgilCaine
There are many reasons nonone pays Lugeibill millions to coach of evaluate talent
Because no HS QB ever improved once they got to college. SMH

He *may not* end up a QB at USC, but for Luginbill - or anyone else - to use the word "never" before the kid even makes it to his first season is just asinine.

Dude stop the bs.. Everyone knows wildcat QBs are put in to run some read options because they can't throw... That is precisely what you meant whether you want to admit it or not.. Muschamp and BMac have said he is a QB period... With the new redshirt rules i am sure he will play in at least 4 games and throw a few passes

Are you really going to be arrogant enough to tell ME what I meant? You are incorrect, that is not what I meant or implied. If you take 20 seconds, you'll see that I posted he should get a chance at QB and posted he completed more than 60% of his passes. I expect to see him play some wildcat because he's supposed to be very athletic and can keep the defense honest with his passing potential. Not sure why you're being a dick about it. SMDH.

Reactions: Bwellbaseball
I believe Mr. Luginbill played QB and coached football for several years, before becoming an analyst for ESPN. He grew up in a football family (father was a football coach). He understands proper mechanics of the throw. Based on what he has seen from DJ, he voiced his opinion. DJ is an elite athlete, but maybe not at QB.

Gilmore did not have the skill set nor the high school statistical numbers to match Joyner’s. Therefore this comparison is not very valid.
Their situation is similar, Maybe they find out Mr Joyner will be an amazing Receiver, DB, etc... That is what is gonna get him "PAid" at the next level. AND just FYI, they played different competition, if you are going that route!!

I hope the kid get every opportunity to be a QB here. If he is behind Hillinski I hope he is smart enough to be used somewhere else on the team with the ball in his hands. Pharo Cooper could throw, run, catch and could make defense players look stupid in the process. And he made the league. You can bet opponents hated seeing Pharo anywhere in the backfield.

Gilmore did not have the skill set nor the high school statistical numbers to match Joyner’s. Therefore this comparison is not very valid.
Gilmore's Dad told me at Shrine Bowl practice his son was going to be a defensive back because that was his way to the NFL. Smart Dad successful son.
Staff and Joyner need to figure out his best route to NFL. Russel Wilson was doubted and proved people wrong.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Gilmore's Dad told me at Shrine Bowl practice his son was going to be a defensive back because that was his way to the NFL. Smart Dad successful son.
Staff and Joyner need to figure out his best route to NFL. Russel Wilson was doubted and proved people wrong.
how many Russell Wilson types are there in the NFL?? How Many College QB's are there?? How many DB's are there?? I rest my case

If Joyner's in the game, he will have an RPO....a simple one but he will have one...which makes him that much more dangerous for opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT