ADVERTISEMENT

King Dixon appointed to BOT? Are we serious?

Remember Fig Newton and wasn't he good for Sparky, too? He was really, really bad.
This was extensively covered at the time, but Dixon did not call Felton to tell him he was fired. Felton found out by reading it in the paper. I can't forgive that kind callous incompetence - Gamecock or not.

Felton was trying to restore some prominence to SC and he was making progress. He was fired in year #5 after going 20-13. He had an overall record of 87-62. (.584) What I wouldn't give for that kind of record now.

After a 2 month coaching search, and being turned down by numerous coaches, King Dixon hired Steve Newton from Murray State. We know how that turned out.

This was extensively covered at the time, but Dixon did not call Felton to tell him he was fired. Felton found out by reading it in the paper. I can't forgive that kind callous incompetence - Gamecock or not.

Felton was trying to restore some prominence to SC and he was making progress. He was fired in year #5 after going 20-13. He had an overall record of 87-62. (.584) What I wouldn't give for that kind of record now.

After a 2 month coaching search, and being turned down by numerous coaches, King Dixon hired Steve Newton from Murray State. We know how that turned out.
Felton's drinking problem did him in, which sucked because he was a good coach who cared about his players. I had no problem with it but Dixon, being the ass that he is, did. Steve Newton was a disaster. What a terrible choice.

No. Totally different governance structure. Clemson is more like a public company. We are more like a state agency. Sad, but true.
Oh, I agree with you. We, like they, needed to be located away from the state capital. The lawmakers have made the University part of their fiefdom.

Reactions: Goose cock
Felton's drinking problem did him in, which sucked because he was a good coach who cared about his players. I had no problem with it but Dixon, being the ass that he is, did. Steve Newton was a disaster. What a terrible choice.
He frequented Five Points, and there was a DUI at the beach, but to my knowledge he was not an alcoholic. Even if he was you try to get someone like that help - you don't fire them. King Dixon just didn't like him because he was a yankee and felt like George was insubordinate because he didn't say "yes sir" when King told him to reign it in at Five Points.

He was the BOT from the 8th Circuit which is comprised of Greenwood, Laurens, Abbeville, and Newberry. He was from Greenwood and was a retired Accountant.

He frequented Five Points, and there was a DUI at the beach, but to my knowledge he was not an alcoholic. Even if he was you try to get someone like that help - you don't fire them. King Dixon just didn't like him because he was a yankee and felt like George was insubordinate because he didn't say "yes sir" when King told him to reign it in at Five Points.
There were a couple GCC events where his drinking got the best of him, as well.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Try looking in a mirror.

King Dixon became AD with little background for the job and at a difficult time given the steroid scandal. A destined to fail Holderman appointee, who made a lot of bad decisions, set our basketball program way back.

Felton was fired May 14th 1991, and got a DUI in June 1991, just to be fair

Dixon, had served a few weeks as interim athletic director, before getting the gig, replacing Dick Bestwick, who stepped down for health reasons after six months on the job. Bestwick had replaced Bob Marcum, who was fired when an internal university investigation found the school's athlete drug-testing program was a sham.

John Palms let him go in 1992, for Mike McGee, who was at So Cal, Dixon made $102K a year back then.

Cut & Paste from a old David Newton articl

USC was invited to join the Southeastern Conference during Dixon’s tenure, although insiders say interim USC President Art Smith was the catalyst. Dixon has been a major force behind expanding Williams-Brice Stadium and developing a master plan for all athletic facilities. Dixon also has drawn his share of criticism. In 1989, he said The Rolling Stones could not play at Williams-Brice Stadium because the then-swaying upper deck was not safe for such an activity. The statement he’s perhaps most associated with - “it might open the door to tractor pulls and those kind of things” - was made during negotiations. Last year was especially tough on Dixon. He drew fire for the handling of the dismissal of basketball coach George Felton in May. Felton learned of his dismissal from a reporter May 13. After reading it in the newspaper the next morning, Felton called Dixon and asked for an explanation. Dixon told Felton he would see him at a scheduled 1 p.m. meeting in which Felton expected to discuss the future of the program and a con tract extension. The ensuing 57-day search for a replacement, headed by Dixon, was criticized nationally.

Also tried to eliminate the softball program and got into issues with Tittle 9, another stain on his record.

Last edited:
If RBG can be a Supreme Court Justice while on life support for the foreseeable future- this guy can be a BOT member at the UofSC!
I always thought that KD was kind of a rubberhead who was in way over his head as AD. But this appointment is incredibly temporary, and it's nothing to get our panties in a wad over.

George Felton was the right man for the job in Columbia.

If it were up some of the posters on here, King Dixon would still be the AD and they'd be saying the Sparky rebuild was still on schedule.

sclawman77 said:

Rhizzlebop said:

Who is fennel and why is he out? This is a serious question[/quote]

He died recently. Don't know much about him
[/quote]

How is Bubba Fennel any less qualified to serve than the surviving members of the bot?

I've known King since the 50s and think highly of him. He is a person of good character and was a good football player for us. He is certainly a loyal Gamecock and is sharper in his 80s than most posters on here.

He may be a wonderful human being but absolutely sucked as an AD and set the Athletics Dept. back years. Glad it is a temp assignment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT