ADVERTISEMENT

Kingston picking up where Holbrook left off...

Why are we banging on Kingston? We knew we had very little pitching and a line up full of sorry hitters? Give him at least a year to find/develop a few hitters and stock some quality arms on the pitching staff
Who knows? Obviously some thought he could come in, crinkle his nose, waive a wand and everything would be hunky dory.

Reactions: lawcalcock
What cost Holbrook his job that the team was no longer competitive. They found new ways to lose and could not execute hitting or pitching. This team seems to be regressing into that same team.

Before the injuries ramped up, this team was playing pretty encouraging baseball. Really liked what I saw in the Florida series and the team is 17-6 at home or something like that. Can't really see them doing much in the SEC portion of the schedule at this point because it is absolutely brutal - drawing Arkansas, LSU, Texas A&M and Ole Miss from the West is as tough as it gets.

Really believe Kingston will get it going but everyone looking for a microwave fix is going to be disappointed for a couple of years.

Kingston is picking up where Holbrook left off, but I think he needs a couple years before he is judged. Apparent that Holbrook didn't leave the talent cupboard as full as the talented team he inherited when he took over at USC. The man is going to have to hit the recruiting trail before this deal gets better.

I find myself wondering if the holdovers are sulking over Holbrook and resisting Kingston. Something ain't right.
Well, we know LT Tolbert isn't in that camp. But I guess some others could be. If that's the case. He should just bench them now and get the younger guys some quality experience. It's not like all the veterans are knocking the cover off the ball.

Reactions: king ward
I find myself wondering if the holdovers are sulking over Holbrook and resisting Kingston. Something ain't right.
Yeah ",something ain't right" they can't play very well.. They can't pitch and they can't hit.. Other than that they are really good

Reactions: usc1978
Well, we know LT Tolbert isn't in that camp. But I guess some others could be. If that's the case. He should just bench them now and get the younger guys some quality experience. It's not like all the veterans are knocking the cover off the ball.
If his quip has any merit, they would have played great for Holbrook... They just aren't good enough... Kingston gotta do some serious crootin

Reactions: Legendary Cock
What cost Holbrook his job that the team was no longer competitive. They found new ways to lose and could not execute hitting or pitching. This team seems to be regressing into that same team.
Indeed.. It's the same players... Go figure

Summary

1. It is too early to pass judgment on Kingston. He may end up being great, or he could be mediocre for 4-5 years and get fired.

2. The narrative that we had talent but Holbrook couldn’t coach is only partially true. The talent and his recruiting was overrated. Likely guys we recruited were rated higher because of our reputation. We see it happen in football sometimes when an elite school offers and a guy moves up the rankings, so I assume the same recruiting ranking inflation can happen in baseball too.

3. Many fans, including me, were overly optimistic in the preseason that the coaching change would be a magic elixir. Kingston would right the wrongs of Holbrook, get more out of the talent, etc. Turns out that was not realistic.

Kingston is picking up where Holbrook left off, but I think he needs a couple years before he is judged. Apparent that Holbrook didn't leave the talent cupboard as full as the talented team he inherited when he took over at USC. The man is going to have to hit the recruiting trail before this deal gets better.
over rated recruiting classes with what's his name. People tend to take these rankings as always right. They miss often in their opinions.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Yeah ",something ain't right" they can't play very well.. They can't pitch and they can't hit.. Other than that they are really good
If those are already problems. unfavorable attitude would only exacerbate them. This team is abysmal now. I can't remember a team as bad, even before we were ever a prominent program. Something extra is at play here.

I wouldn't pick up the folding chairs yet. I do think you have some rebuilding to do but the program at USC is always gonna have the potential for Omaha every year. Let your coach do his thing.

A UK fan! Or, as we call your athletic program these days, "Daddy."

Hater? This is reality. Holbrook is totally responsible for this season. He recruited all of these guys. Holbrook took over a Rolls Royce, and turned it into a Pinto (upside down in a ditch).

Will Kingston ever have a recruiting class better than Holbrook if not we will never get better

That makes no sense they must have been sulking when Chad was here too. They had all the chances to save his job what ain't right is just out of high school pitchers.

Really? Even with the just looked up "big word" you're wrong. It's all about the pitching and most of them weren't getting much work last year because many were still in high school.
I think it's important to look at the collective team. They don't work well together. You might have some good pitching, good fielding and timely hitting in a game. How often does all of that happen for us in 1 game? This team does not seem to be on the same page. Obviously, they're starting over with a new coach. They have to adjust to Kingston's system, buy into his philosophy and commit themselves to his vision. At this point they look out of synch, lack team chemistry and a I'm sure that some of the holdovers don't quite trust in the coaches. They were burned by Holbrook and the team doesn't look any better with Kingston. It's a legitimate concern and king ward pointed it out.

I think it's important to look at the collective team. They don't work well together. You might have some good pitching, good fielding and timely hitting in a game. How often does all of that happen for us in 1 game? This team does not seem to be on the same page. Obviously, they're starting over with a new coach. They have to adjust to Kingston's system, buy into his philosophy and commit themselves to his vision. At this point they look out of synch, lack team chemistry and a I'm sure that some of the holdovers don't quite trust in the coaches. They were burned by Holbrook and the team doesn't look any better with Kingston. It's a legitimate concern and king ward pointed it out.
Just have to give it time what other choice do we have?

Well they are 17-6 at home including 4-2 in the SEC at home - do they only have these trust and chemistry issues on the road?

Summary

1. It is too early to pass judgment on Kingston. He may end up being great, or he could be mediocre for 4-5 years and get fired.

2. The narrative that we had talent but Holbrook couldn’t coach is only partially true. The talent and his recruiting was overrated. Likely guys we recruited were rated higher because of our reputation. We see it happen in football sometimes when an elite school offers and a guy moves up the rankings, so I assume the same recruiting ranking inflation can happen in baseball too.

3. Many fans, including me, were overly optimistic in the preseason that the coaching change would be a magic elixir. Kingston would right the wrongs of Holbrook, get more out of the talent, etc. Turns out that was not realistic.
Spot on post!

Yeah... having three of your top four hitters and starters out for two weeks doesn't come into play at all.
You guys are amazing.

Quit acting all high and mighty. I said it was worth considering. Not the only reason.

Go back and read your own post. NO WHERE DID YOU SAY IT WAS WORTH CONSIDERING.

I was addressing king ward's comment and expounding on that. I'm not saying that it is the only problem with this team. It is something to consider.

Go back and read your own post. NO WHERE DID YOU SAY IT WAS WORTH CONSIDERING.
I was addressing king ward's comments and expounding on that. I also never said it was the only reason we are such a poor team right now. Get off my back and quit being so combative. What the hell is wrong with you?

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I wouldn't pick up the folding chairs yet. I do think you have some rebuilding to do but the program at USC is always gonna have the potential for Omaha every year. Let your coach do his thing.

Today’s game must be playing in a mirror.

Leave it to king ward to break it down for the masses. Might be some truth to this.

King is normally accurate with his assessments but I think he's just suckering some fools in with this one.

Reactions: Silverspur02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT