ADVERTISEMENT

lefty jr fired n charlietown*

Hate it for him and all of the families affected by the transitions, but that is the business side of the sport. Coaching at these small military schools is extremely challenging.

My daughter attended one of his camps last summer and loved it. Having attended a number of camps as a youngster and a parent, I can tell you that his camp was first class, was well run and Chuck was especially cordial to all of the parents.

I wish him well.

Originally posted by roostah1:
Did you know that the Citadel has never made it to the big dance?
They had very good teams back in the late 50'snd early 60's. My folks lived about two blocks from the 'Armory' (aka 'The Fieldhouse') and I attended many games there - packed crowds of 5,000+ were common and The Corps was so loud it made your ears hurt. I think Norman Sloan may have still been the coach at The Citadel. One of the high moments before the start of every game was the entrance of Gen. Clark and his wife, Rainey - dressed in Citadel Blue and, to be honest, she was usually 3 sheets in the wind.

Anyway, it all went away shortly after Sloan left for Florida. As has been the case for over 100 years, The Citadel can't stand athletic success for long less some 5'3" Sophomore Private gets his feelings hurt that a lowly 'Knob' is getting some attention from the fans or media. Such is life at the Citadel.

Originally posted by 67gamecock:
Originally posted by roostah1:
Did you know that the Citadel has never made it to the big dance?
They had very good teams back in the late 50'snd early 60's. My folks lived about two blocks from the 'Armory' (aka 'The Fieldhouse') and I attended many games there - packed crowds of 5,000+ were common and The Corps was so loud it made your ears hurt. I think Norman Sloan may have still been the coach at The Citadel. One of the high moments before the start of every game was the entrance of Gen. Clark and his wife, Rainey - dressed in Citadel Blue and, to be honest, she was usually 3 sheets in the wind.

Anyway, it all went away shortly after Sloan left for Florida. As has been the case for over 100 years, The Citadel can't stand athletic success for long less some 5'3" Sophomore Private gets his feelings hurt that a lowly 'Knob' is getting some attention from the fans or media. Such is life at the Citadel.
Less competition for the athletic/entertainment dollar back then too.

I suppose the powers that be had to fire the coach to soothe the savage beast that is some of the old alumni who actually still think that just because they are The Citadel that they should be a power in sports. Now they may can catch lightening in a bottle once a decade, or so, in football and basketball and have a decent season, or two. But even then, winning a conference championship is little more than a dream. Of course in football they probably have more of a shot now than ever because of the weakness of the conference. But those at The Citadel should be happy if the coach borders on mediocre and doesn't embarrass the university.

67 Gamecock, I remember those teams, too. Hard to get a ticket when they were playing West Virginia with Jerry West. I also lived about 3-4 blocks from the armory. Did you attend Rivers High School?

This post was edited on 3/10 10:16 PM by uscfootfan

I was 10 rows up when this happened
RibockLefty.jpg

Originally posted by uscfootfan:
67 Gamecock, I remember those teams, too. Hard to get a ticket when they were playing West Virginia with Jerry West. I also lived about 3-4 blocks from the armory. Did you attend Rivers High School?

This post was edited on 3/10 10:16 PM by uscfootfan
It was pretty interesting and fun when Lefty, Sr. brought his Davidson teams in there, too. They were solid.

Originally posted by olcoach04:
I suppose the powers that be had to fire the coach to soothe the savage beast that is some of the old alumni who actually still think that just because they are The Citadel that they should be a power in sports. Now they may can catch lightening in a bottle once a decade, or so, in football and basketball and have a decent season, or two. But even then, winning a conference championship is little more than a dream. Of course in football they probably have more of a shot now than ever because of the weakness of the conference. But those at The Citadel should be happy if the coach borders on mediocre and doesn't embarrass the university.
He was 22-66 in conference. That's not mediocre.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT