ADVERTISEMENT

Let's see how real and faithful Carolina fans are

I would guess there was not even 30,000 for the 83 Carolina/Navy game. I think we'll do better Saturday.

Thanksgiving Day 1990.

What’s the back story on why that was scheduled on Thanksgiving? Also a weather makeup? Made for TV Thanksgiving extravaganza? Harder to schedule 11 “OOC” opponents back in the independent days?

I was alive back then, but my memory of this game and why it was played on that date is missing.

Reactions: DarkCock
What’s the back story on why that was scheduled on Thanksgiving? Also a weather makeup? Made for TV Thanksgiving extravaganza? Harder to schedule 11 “OOC” opponents back in the independent days?

I was alive back then, but my memory of this game and why it was played on that date is missing.

It was strictly for TV. They paid us a lot of money for it (by 1990 standards).

It was strictly for TV. They paid us a lot of money for it (by 1990 standards).

Thanks. Glad we don’t do that anymore. Just doesn’t feel right for the final regular season game to be anyone other than the hated rivals from Pickens county.

After reading responses, my theory is validated. Back in the day the fans showed up no matter what and I mean no matter what. I think there are a lot of factors....TV coverage and better quality TVs, instant social media coverage and streaming, and just a loss of interest and loyalty to your school. And it's certainly not just us.

MetLife's first blimp, Snoopy 1, launched in 1987 and rapidly became a common fixture at golf and other and sporting events, as well as news and special events. In 1994, MetLife expanded their blimp program to include Snoopy 2

Thanks. Glad we don’t do that anymore. Just doesn’t feel right for the final regular season game to be anyone other than the hated rivals from Pickens county.
I hear that a lot and I get it. But I got to say that was one of the best times I ever had at WB. Turkey at home, leftovers at the game, great game and the Goodyear blimp just overhead. Hell I enjoyed it so much I started following WV after that. Glad I went and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Wouldn't wish it every year tho.

Played Miami after UPC in 1987 and loss to that bunch of thugs down there 20-16 (I believe).

Yes, I was at that game. We played them after they played Notre Dame and before they played Oklahoma. Talk about a trap game. We almost pulled it off.

Watch No.9 for Miami hit Todd from behind at the :24 mark. A hit to the head like that would draw at least a one game suspension these days.

Reactions: king ward
Hmm.... if we were 9-2 going into this weekend I’m sure it would make a difference but maybe not . Any game scheduled after the Clemson game (win or lose) is gonna be a let down . It’s kinda like shooting up a bottle rocket after the big grand finale . I don’t think it necessarily lack of fan support I just don’t think anybody is gonna be excited to go watch us play a game that really doesn’t mean much . And yes it is meaningless. Unless you are playing on New Year’s Day Or after , any other bowl game is the same . The only ones that really care are the ones who stand to profit the most from bigger payouts . I’ve seen some very encouraging things this year but overall I’m kinda ready to chalk this one up and move on .

Yep, plus it’s december. My boys have a town parade to be in and we have family in town.

Don’t want to waste time at a football game even with free tickets.

After reading responses, my theory is validated. Back in the day the fans showed up no matter what and I mean no matter what. I think there are a lot of factors....TV coverage and better quality TVs, instant social media coverage and streaming, and just a loss of interest and loyalty to your school. And it's certainly not just us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT