ADVERTISEMENT

List of all 50 State hardest colleges to get in to

LateDeepEasternglasslizard-max-1mb.gif

Please consider the source: 247wallst.com with one sentence on their methodology (page 12).

Could be accurate, maybe just someone with an axe to grind.

Could be accurate, maybe just someone with an axe to grind.
What is the axe to grind? Carolina is not supposed to be the hardest school to get into in the state. Not to mention the vast amount of variables that can be mixed into this -- some people get directly accepted to USC-Columbia, some get into a regional campus first, some come in through the Bridge program with Midlands Tech, there's Honors College, there's majors with high academic standards down to general majors for people with 800 SAT scores, etc. But besides all that, part of our mission statement is educating the people of SC. If they're not Ivy League material then we can't exactly act like we are.

Noticed BYU-Hawaii is relatively affordable and U of Wyoming has a 98.6% acceptance rate. Makes me feel bad for anyone who can't get into U of WY.

Reactions: Goldhunter
What is the axe to grind? Carolina is not supposed to be the hardest school to get into in the state. Not to mention the vast amount of variables that can be mixed into this -- some people get directly accepted to USC-Columbia, some get into a regional campus first, some come in through the Bridge program with Midlands Tech, there's Honors College, there's majors with high academic standards down to general majors for people with 800 SAT scores, etc. But besides all that, part of our mission statement is educating the people of SC. If they're not Ivy League material then we can't exactly act like we are.
I was neither defending nor denigrating the UofSC.

I guess my point is that just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. Who knows why certain things appear on the internet at certain times. It's pretty clear that people have been manipulated by many ideas put out there that simply aren't true, but people believed these ideas anyway .

This is not a trustworthy website at first (or second) blush.

Reactions: coolcock2001
I was neither defending nor denigrating the UofSC.

I guess my point is that just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. Who knows why certain things appear on the internet at certain times. It's pretty clear that people have been manipulated by many ideas put out there that simply aren't true, but people believed these ideas anyway .

This is not a trustworthy website at first (or second) blush.
I personally never clicked the link :D

People need to copy/paste stuff on here. I'll click some links but half the stuff people share is some terrible news site with pop ups and everything else.

Reactions: HI Cock
Btw, Jimmy Byrnes never graduated or attended college. He read the law in a Charleston law office. He may have received an honorary degree from Clem, but that's it - period.

The rankings are based mainly on the percentage of applicants who are accepted. This isn't really a good measure. It's harder to get into Wofford or Furman than Clemson and everyone knows it. Those schools' acceptance percentages are higher because kids don't tend to apply there if they don't have pretty high test scores and grades. Clemson's freshman class has not gotten any larger, despite a growing number of applications, so their acceptance rate, percentage wise, gets lower and lower.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Clemson's freshman class has not gotten any larger, despite a growing number of applications,
How’d they pull that off and keep the lights on? We were pretty much forced after 2008 economy crash and budget cuts. Luckily it’s worked out well for us with the quality going up along with the quantity

How’d they pull that off and keep the lights on? We were pretty much forced after 2008 economy crash and budget cuts. Luckily it’s worked out well for us with the quality going up along with the quantity
My own opinion is that a state institution SHOULD grow with the needs of the state, and should be accessible to as many qualified students from that state as possible. All but one of our state institutions seem to be doing that.

My own opinion is that a state institution SHOULD grow with the needs of the state, and should be accessible to as many qualified students from that state as possible. All but one of our state institutions seem to be doing that.
I agree. Not sure how a true South Carolinian could ever come around to supporting them but you have some who do

That might explain why my outlaws are such diehard taters. Not a one of them actually went there. One of them got her masters from USC because clemson doesn't offer a masters level study in her field and she still hates USC. Funny how people who attended Winthrop or Lander or Wofford talk smack to USC fans and grads and say things like "we" and "us". I usually respond with "Funny, I wasn't aware Winthrop even had a football team."

The rankings are based mainly on the percentage of applicants who are accepted. This isn't really a good measure. It's harder to get into Wofford or Furman than Clemson and everyone knows it. Those schools' acceptance percentages are higher because kids don't tend to apply there if they don't have pretty high test scores and grades. Clemson's freshman class has not gotten any larger, despite a growing number of applications, so their acceptance rate, percentage wise, gets lower and lower.

This isn't entirely true. To your point though, it isn't growing at the rate of USC. And recent football success does breed more applicants, so the acceptance is even more skewed.

I tend to leave the rivalry on the field and not get into the academic argument. I have my MBA from USC, so I have a vested interest in both doing well academically. To compare the two undergrad programs is literally comparing apples to oranges - both have different missions. USC is the flagship, and as someone mentioned, the goal is to provide opportunities to the citizens of SC first and foremost. Clemson tends to take the highest achievers regardless of state, so they tend to be more picky. Regardless, you will get a quality education from either school if you apply yourself.

It's not harder to get into Wofford or Furman than Clemson. This isnt just about applications.

Avg SAT of accepted student:

Wofford - 1215
UofSC - 1250
Furman - 1285
Clemson - 1305

Exactly, Carolina educates more kids from our state than Climpson ever thought about. We represent what a good state school is supposed to be...a place where SC students can go whether you are superior, good, or average, and you have access to a much larger variety of majors to choose from. Best of all worlds.

I agree. Not sure how a true South Carolinian could ever come around to supporting them but you have some who do

In the Greater South (Florida to Missouri and Virginia to Texas with Oklahoma included) there are only two states that have grown faster than South Carolina - Florida and Texas. Meanwhile. ole Clem holds the line on enrollments while Carolina soars!

This isn't entirely true. To your point though, it isn't growing at the rate of USC. And recent football success does breed more applicants, so the acceptance is even more skewed.

I tend to leave the rivalry on the field and not get into the academic argument. I have my MBA from USC, so I have a vested interest in both doing well academically. To compare the two undergrad programs is literally comparing apples to oranges - both have different missions. USC is the flagship, and as someone mentioned, the goal is to provide opportunities to the citizens of SC first and foremost. Clemson tends to take the highest achievers regardless of state, so they tend to be more picky. Regardless, you will get a quality education from either school if you apply yourself.[/QUOT

Clemson is still a state university - they have the mission to educate more SC students than they are currently admitting. Good grief! At LEAST get your enrollment up to the level of Auburn also a land grant school in a Southern state which has a smaller population than SC!

My Neice got denied from Carolina with a ton of activities and around a 3.8 GPA. And I wrote a letter, made phone calls, her Dad did the same, especially to the counselor that handles the VA area because she really wanted to go here, but no luck. He was told the average GPA for the 2018 incoming class is 4.2, and around that mark above for SAT’s so take it fwiw. Clemmons isn’t UVa, no matter what they think. They have very specialized majors (i.e. Engineering, Forestry, etc...) and getting jobs in those fields skews the salaries of employees just starting out. See what their A&S grads make, if they even have any.

My Neice got denied from Carolina with a ton of activities and around a 3.8 GPA. And I wrote a letter, made phone calls, her Dad did the same, especially to the counselor that handles the VA area because she really wanted to go here, but no luck. He was told the average GPA for the 2018 incoming class is 4.2, and around that mark above for SAT’s so take it fwiw. Clemmons isn’t UVa, no matter what they think. They have very specialized majors (i.e. Engineering, Forestry, etc...) and getting jobs in those fields skews the salaries of employees just starting out. See what their A&S grads make, if they even have any.

Sounds impossible.

They are right in line with Auburn. Per each university site:

School In State/Total Undergrads Percentage

CU 11830/18599 63.6%
AU 14679/22590 64.9%

I tend to leave the rivalry on the field and not get into the academic argument. I have my MBA from USC, so I have a vested interest in both doing well academically. To compare the two undergrad programs is literally comparing apples to oranges - both have different missions. USC is the flagship, and as someone mentioned, the goal is to provide opportunities to the citizens of SC first and foremost. Clemson tends to take the highest achievers regardless of state, so they tend to be more picky. Regardless, you will get a quality education from either school if you apply yourself.

I agree with the apples to oranges statement. You also have to take into account the program you’re going into. Engineering, probably a good bet Clemson is the way to go for some. USCs nursing program has a 100% pass rate of boards last year and their graduate program is nationally ranked, Clemson can’t compare to that. Same with Public health. Clemson’s biology department is outstanding but global supply chain or IB I’d go to USC. Just taking gross numbers of acceptance rates isn’t a good indicator of which school is best, as one said USCs main goal is to supply South Carolina with education.

I agree with the apples to oranges statement. You also have to take into account the program you’re going into. Engineering, probably a good bet Clemson is the way to go for some. USCs nursing program has a 100% pass rate of boards last year and their graduate program is nationally ranked, Clemson can’t compare to that. Same with Public health. Clemson’s biology department is outstanding but global supply chain or IB I’d go to USC. Just taking gross numbers of acceptance rates isn’t a good indicator of which school is best, as one said USCs main goal is to supply South Carolina with education.
Spot on. I started out a Clemson in engineering, then decided it wasn't for me. Actually my grades decided it wasn't for me lol. I actually considered transferring to USC because of its business program, but stayed at Clem and got an Econ degree. Which is practically useless no matter the school unless you go on to higher ed, so thats's why I ended up at USC for my MBA.

This why I never get into arguments about which school is academically better. Just too many variables.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT