ADVERTISEMENT

Losing a generation of fans....

Not picking a fight but I grew up here. It was always 60-40 in favor of Clemson. The only time I remember seeing more USC stuff was during the 5 year run. Even the bandwagoners were mostly CLem. You know the ones who were UNC/Duke bball fans and Clemson/Neb/ND/whoever football fans.
Grew up in Greer. Always thought the same thing about the Greer/Spartanburg area.

Reactions: Brace1
I grew up in Spartanburg from the early 70s until I went off to college in 1985. I don't think it was majority Gamecock back then.
Grew up there from the late 1960's and went off to college in the early 1980's and the whole upstate (except for Rock Hill and maybe, Gaffney) seemed to be majority Clemson. Thought the Herald-Journal always was pretty even in it's coverage, especially compared to the Gvl News, but still was in a pro-Clemson environment.

It’s just popular to be a Clemson fan right now. Let them loose a game or two and most of the orange and purple goes away. Most of the fans have zero affiliation to the school and usually don’t pull out the gear until they are at least 8-0. Let Clemson get to 8-0 and half of Academy Sports is orange.

Reactions: okccock
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I became a Gamecock fan during those halcyon years of multiple conference and national football championships. Oh, for a return to those glory years that caused me to become a fan.
The way it was is the way it always has to be.

You guys who have no thought of a brighter future because of the past are extremely depressing.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
.... i live in Spartanburg. It has always been majority gamecock. Because of our refusal to compete that is changing. I am seeing it. We are losing the younger generation of fans to be to the uringe. I assume the rest of the state is the same. We look ridiculous. This can’t continue. #notadime
South Carolina has a huge advantage over Clemson - the State name.
Years ago Purdue had a final four basketball team, the coach his name was Rose quit because he could not compete for fans against the school with the state name Indiana.

The way it was is the way it always has to be.

You guys who have no thought of a brighter future because of the past are extremely depressing.
Nossir, not about “the way it was” etc.

What it IS is that we don’t believe incessant ugliness will change things for the better in any way. To the contrary.

If we could coach our way into elite, it would have happened by now. And yes, many of us are ok with this. If I have to explain why, then there’s no point in explaining it. We don’t believe you become elite by coaching, or athletic directoring. We believe you become elite by getting elite players, and we don’t believe that is done through “recruiting” in the traditional sense. We would of course like to win all of our games but, given the above, we are ok with not. Doesn’t mean we’re happy going 4-8, but we understand that there are also much betters that will happen also. We’ve watched it for a long time.

Years ago Purdue had a final four basketball team, the coach his name was Rose quit because he could not compete for fans against the school with the state name Indiana.

Is that why Indiana U. always has such a great football team? Purdue is generally the school of choice between the two, at least for out-of-state students from the region.

Boiling Springs , same , went to Cabelas in Greenville supporting Gamecock attire , one of the employees said glad to see someone wearing Gamecock gear and he is tired of seeing orange

What it IS is that we don’t believe incessant ugliness will change things for the better in any way. To the contrary.

If we could coach our way into elite, it would have happened by now. And yes, many of us are ok with this. If I have to explain why, then there’s no point in explaining it. We don’t believe you become elite by coaching, or athletic directoring. We believe you become elite by getting elite players, and we don’t believe that is done through “recruiting” in the traditional sense. We would of course like to win all of our games but, given the above, we are ok with not. Doesn’t mean we’re happy going 4-8, but we understand that there are also much betters that will happen also. We’ve watched it for a long time.
I now understand why I don't agree with a damn thing you ever say...you have no clue and you're ok with losing.

I now understand why I don't agree with a damn thing you ever say...you have no clue and you're ok with losing.
Lol.

Again, not ok with losing, just don’t need the sports programs I follow to meet someone else’s view of “success” to feel good about myself or to maintain my interest.

Reactions: DukeDenver
In Greer, S'burg County. Up until this year, when I my gamecocks apparel, I would get a "go cocks". Now, I get the stare and chuckle, or get that "poor fellow". Went into the post office last week with one of my Cocks t-shirts on, and the guy in line behind was a Furman fan. He said what a train wreck y'all have.

It doesn't matter how many national championships they win most out of staters do not know that Clemson is located in South Carolina. This fact is reinforced daily in my retirement job which allows me to interact with folks from all over.

If that is an advantage, it is only important in SC.

Reactions: The Cool Cock

You certainly have the right to take it any way you like it. So do other people. Either this is Big Boy football or it isn't. We certainly exhibit all the outward manifestations of wanting Big Boy Football. If that isn't our intention, then all those things are a waste and we are in the wrong environment. Let's just stop pretending in such expensive ways and find a place we belong.

You certainly have the right to take it any way you like it. So do other people. Either this is Big Boy football or it isn't. We certainly exhibit all the outward manifestations of wanting Big Boy Football. If that isn't our intention, then all those things are a waste and we are in the wrong environment. Let's just stop pretending in such expensive ways and find a place we belong.
Yeah. Not going to happen and you know it.

It doesn't matter how many national championships they win most out of staters do not know that Clemson is located in South Carolina. This fact is reinforced daily in my retirement job which allows me to interact with folks from all over.
Most asinine thing I've read. Hell, most people don't know where Purdue or even Notre Dame are but they sure as hell know Notre Dame has won some football games. Last I looked geography has zero to do with football titles. No one cares to know where Clemson is...they just watch them win 29 in a row while we crap the bed.

Yeah. Not going to happen and you know it.
Well, I don't have much skin in the game anymore, but I think a person who would like to see greater achievement would be foolish to continue propping up something that isn't headed in that direction. Furthermore, I would consider it disingenuous for the school to depict that it intends to excel when its activities belie that.

I am an alumnus and for the first time, my collective interest in our 3 major men's sports has almost fizzled out. I believe we are morphing into UConn with our competing WBB team which is probably okay with Tanner and the BOT.
Alumnus here as well.Football,basketball interest sinking fast.Still somewhat optimistic about baseball-probably because season hasn’t started yet.

Well, I don't have much skin in the game anymore, but I think a person who would like to see greater achievement would be foolish to continue propping up something that isn't headed in that direction. Furthermore, I would consider it disingenuous for the school to depict that it intends to excel when its activities belie that.
Yeah, I agree. I think the SEC is a good fit for all but on-field success; it’s been shown that the last time someone won the SEC besides the 6 legacy schools (Bama, Auburn, UF, GA, UT, LSU) was 19 friggin 63.

Question: if Dabo Swinney is at South Carolina instead of Clemson, even say Dabo Swinney and Brent Venables, is he enjoying the same level of success?

Yeah, I agree. I think the SEC is a good fit for all but on-field success; it’s been shown that the last time someone won the SEC besides the 6 legacy schools (Bama, Auburn, UF, GA, UT, LSU) was 19 friggin 63.

Question: if Dabo Swinney is at South Carolina instead of Clemson, even say Dabo Swinney and Brent Venables, is he enjoying the same level of success?
No.

So I live in the Florida Panhandle that is HEAVY LSU , Bama , FSU . Since Katrina half of our population are Louisiana transplants . The Panhandle is really considered more “Lower Alabama” than Florida, so A lot of Bama fans too . However , the amount of Clemson gear down here in the last few years is staggering . With FSU being down I think a lot of Seminoles have bandwagon to CU . Everywhere I go I see tiger gear which is insane . Gotta say they have become a national brand which is nauseating .

Florida was only a mediocre to decent football school before Spurrier, not great and certainly not legacy. The only two times they would have won or tied for the SEC championship, they were ineligible.

I still do have skin in the game and would like to also see greater achievement, but difference is I believe football and baseball are headed in the right direction.

I never expected a minimum of a 3/4 year turnaround for football....I haven't liked all the moves (BMac) but have liked some (Brown, Bobo, Wolford)....and very few people other than some of our fans expected that quick of a turnaround.

In basketball, I don't believe we are headed in the right direction and haven't been for a while....the problems we have today are the same we've had for several years. FM failed to build off the miraculous final four year and I believe it is too late for him to do so at this point. Other coaches can point to it and say it can be done, but I think his chance to do that is over.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Brown is evidently doing some work in So. Fla. that would make everyone estatic.

Last edited:
C
Florida was only a mediocre to decent football school before Spurrier, not great and certainly not legacy. The only two times they would have won or tied for the SEC championship, they were ineligible.
Nah, they were a bit better than that. Compared to everyone else, that’s legacy.

I have over the last few weeks/months run into several BOT members that I have known over the years. They all seem to think that with football, we are headed in the right direction. I would not expect any change any time soon.

I have over the last few weeks/months run into several BOT members that I have known over the years. They all seem to think that with football, we are headed in the right direction. I would not expect any change any time soon.

Wonder what would possibly give them that impression? Our defense did show some modest signs of improvement at times. However, we lose our marquee player that made a good part of that happen.

Out of 41 games versus Power 5 teams (our true competition), we have won 17. Of those 17 teams, 10 finished with a losing record. Hence, 7 wins in 41 games versus teams above .500.

Our rival is making a mockery of us. They have scored 185 points in 4 years versus Champ's Boom Defense. This is most points they have scored against any team they have played in that window. (including Wake Forest.) This year, they could have easily scored 80 if they had chosen to.

Following the 4-8 quagmire in Year 4, which featuring losing the last 5 of 6, hopes now turn to the recently disenfranchised Mike Bobo. Bobo is Champ's 6th OC in 8 years as HC....because clearly this mess lies at the feet of B-Mac {Champ's 5th OC in 7 years}?

If you take a hard look that the roster WM inherited versus the one we have today, it's illuminating. This is not a turnaround, this is a turndown.

Kentucky has never had that problem with UL. Even in Louisville/Jefferson County it's 50/50 or 60/40 Kentucky. That starts with a great AD and Kentucky is good in everything. I follow Carolina because my oldest is an alum. That should be the first place you start.

they can go anywhere in the country to recruit. Unfortunately, way too many good players in SC can’t qualify academically.

Dude, is there anything in life that you can look at with any optimism? Or, can you not see that the post was meant to be tongue and cheek?

Reactions: rogue cock
Wonder what would possibly give them that impression? Our defense did show some modest signs of improvement at times. However, we lose our marquee player that made a good part of that happen.

Out of 41 games versus Power 5 teams (our true competition), we have won 17. Of those 17 teams, 10 finished with a losing record. Hence, 7 wins in 41 games versus teams above .500.

Our rival is making a mockery of us. They have scored 185 points in 4 years versus Champ's Boom Defense. This is most points they have scored against any team they have played in that window. (including Wake Forest.) This year, they could have easily scored 80 if they had chosen to.

Following the 4-8 quagmire in Year 4, which featuring losing the last 5 of 6, hopes now turn to the recently disenfranchised Mike Bobo. Bobo is Champ's 6th OC in 8 years as HC....because clearly this mess lies at the feet of B-Mac {Champ's 5th OC in 7 years}?

If you take a hard look that the roster WM inherited versus the one we have today, it's illuminating. This is not a turnaround, this is a turndown.
Finally someone that tells it like it is, Thank you!

Last edited:

Yes.

I still do have skin in the game and would like to also see greater achievement, but difference is I believe football and baseball are headed in the right direction.

I never expected a minimum of a 3/4 year turnaround for football....I haven't liked all the moves (BMac) but have liked some (Brown, Bobo, Wolford)....and very few people other than some of our fans expected that quick of a turnaround.

In basketball, I don't believe we are headed in the right direction and haven't been for a while....the problems we have today are the same we've had for several years. FM failed to build off the miraculous final four year and I believe it is too late for him to do so at this point. Other coaches can point to it and say it can be done, but I think his chance to do that is over.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Brown is evidently doing some work in So. Fla. that would make everyone estatic.

Skin in the game is required. Otherwise, it is called an unbiased observer.

You sir have nailed it! Needs to be on the insider board.

Most asinine thing I've read. Hell, most people don't know where Purdue or even Notre Dame are but they sure as hell know Notre Dame has won some football games. Last I looked geography has zero to do with football titles. No one cares to know where Clemson is...they just watch them win 29 in a row while we crap the bed.

No, I'm frequently the first to tell them Clemson wins football national championships. It comes up often during my Statehouse lectures on the Calhoun-Clemson connection.

During our 5 year mastery of the taters I saw mostly gamecock gear worn at the Pickens Flea Market. Now that has changed. I suppose there are bandwagon fans on both sides but if you're a alum you don't switch.

Reactions: tigertomreed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT