ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Doty

Dang dude...We pulled someone off the coaching staff to play QB.
Someone with college experience who has played and games against people like oh let’s say Oklahoma. Someone who also had a pretty dang good arm but was not mobile with crappy line play. How many non mobile QBs do we need to ruin in their freshman year by throwing them in with bad protection? (Bentley…Hilinski…Gauthier next?).

He lost it to a guy who was also a stud QB. We’ve never had a QB that has this type of ability. Ever. Rattler was also National Freshman of the Year 2 years ago. As i pointed out in another thread, most places Rattler would’ve continued to be the QB and work out the struggles. Only because there was someone close to him in talent and ability was he benched. And it appeared it wasn’t just Rattler as he struggled a bit at times too.
Rattler the Battler!

I agree. Rattler has won the starting job. And we better all hope this is the case. None of this "well, I just want the best QB to start" nonsense. If Rattler isn't head and shoulders better than what we had for QB play last year, then he's a bust.

Rattler will be QB1 by default.

That leaves Doty, Brown, Gauthier and Davis to battle it out for backup. There's little long-term advantage to us for having Brown as the backup. He's only got 1 year left, so unless he's just markedly better than Doty, it just doesn't make sense.He appeared to be some better than Doty this season, but Doty was never playing 100%. So I see Doty emerging as the backup.

That leaves Gauthier and Davis battling it out for 3rd string.

I would bet the farm on Brown transferring. He's probably not an SEC caliber QB, but he could do quite well at a G5 program. He's not going to start here this year, so if he has any desire to play, then he needs to jump down a bit.
Jason Brown, if he stays, will be the clear cut 2nd string quarterback. Leaving Davis and Doty will battle it out for 3rd String. Doty may need to play Wr if he wishes to see the field next year. He was a complete disaster behind center this season, no one wants to see that again.

Rattler hasn't won the job yet, Luke at least has to try to challenge for it this Spring, in his position I'd try to see for next year goes but I think he should at minimum give himself a chance this spring. Brown, I say whatever he thinks is best, of he wants to fight here he can, if he wants to go where he knows he can play, I won't blame him.

I'll die on that hill, the dude is legit.

People in this thread are really talking about rattler as if he hasn't played a college game yet. Dude was a highly rated recruit but on the field, his decision making and QB IQ leaves a lot to be desired. He may earn the starting job but if you think Luke is just going to hand it to him y'all crazy af.

But overall, this rattler news has really brought out the unrealistic side of most of our fanbase. Take a chill pill; let them work it out on the practice field and maybe lower your expectations. I'm afraid some of you are addicted to disappointed.

People in this thread are really talking about rattler as if he hasn't played a college game yet. Dude was a highly rated recruit but on the field, his decision making and QB IQ leaves a lot to be desired. He may earn the starting job but if you think Luke is just going to hand it to him y'all crazy af.

But overall, this rattler news has really brought out the unrealistic side of most of our fanbase. Take a chill pill; let them work it out on the practice field and maybe lower your expectations. I'm afraid some of you are addicted to disappointed.
Of course there will be competition, that was the point of my original comment. Luke gets to compete and be in the same room with a former 5 star, #1 ranked QB from his class who in spite of your attempt to rain on the parade, put up crazy numbers at OK. That will make Luke better than this past season's situation, which was being the defacto #1 in a QB room with a FCS transfer, grad asst, true freshman and walk-on.

To define Rattler by his struggles last year at OK (which were relatively minor in comparison to our struggles at QB) is to over-simplify the situation. Which I understand, a lot of people never look past the headlines.

I don't know who talked like he's not played a game or isn't legit, if you're implying it was me, I'm just saying he probably takes the job, but it shouldn't be a forgone conclusion if he hasn't improved against drop 8 coverage, even if from a build talent and arm strength perspective he's the most complete proto-QB we've had. Figuring it out on the field is what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
I don't know who talked like he's not played a game or isn't legit, if you're implying it was me, I'm just saying he probably takes the job, but it shouldn't be a forgone conclusion if he hasn't improved against drop 8 coverage, even if from a build talent and arm strength perspective he's the most complete proto-QB we've had. Figuring it out on the field is what I'm talking about.
The only way Rattler is coming here is if he was promised to start. There will be no qb competition in the spring for the spot.

The question is do we have the guts to bench him if he plays poorly.

I love having Doty on the team. He's everything we want: Wants to be a Gamecock, homegrown, great athlete, versatile as h#ll, good leader, good kid with character, etc.
I think more people should do a Tebow package (freshman year that is)...or one of my all time favorites - Corey Jenkins package (here at USC). I think Doty could do well in that 3rd/4th down situation....and keep the golden arm QB out of harm's way b/c he already has an eye to the NFL...so I think it would go over well chemistry wise.
But- could also have Doty playing some inside slot stuff. You ALWAYS need 2 plus QBs in the SEC every year....every year.

Dude I grew up watching the guy. I was being polite when I used the word "awful".
We were a decent team when Ellis was our QB. When he went down, our team wasn’t even competitive. Ellis threw a lot of interceptions. For some reason, that’s all people want to point out about the guy. But Todd Ellis is one of the best QB’s we’ve had in our history and it’s not close. In fact, he’s probably the best QB prospect we’ve ever gotten here until Spencer Rattler just committed. They didn’t have stars back then, but Ellis would’ve been way up there.

He played well as a Gamecock. He was far from awful. Most would say he was good. But go ahead and $hit on our own…

I wouldn't say awful. He was a lot like Favre: he saw no danger in any pass he wanted to throw.
There was a boxer back in the day, Smokin’ Bert Cooper. Smokin’ Bert never won anything of note, but the man could punch like thunder; he unfortunately had a glass jaw as well. In a Smokin’ Bert match, SOMEONE was going down, and in spectacular fashion; as often as not it was Smokin’ Bert himself. Todd Ellis was the football version of Smokin’ Bert Cooper; entertainment at its finest.

I know the coaches have to massage the truth here and spin as just adding QB depth and there’s gonna be competition and all that, but everyone knows the truth. You don’t go out and get Rattler if you think your current QBs can do the job.

Doty’s wisest move for his long-term development is take the year to be a backup and learn.

Brown will not likely see the field and should transfer. As he’s only got 1 year left, there’s no advantage to us playing him.
they were told that rattler might be interested, nobody turns that down especially when you need the depth. had nothing to do withy doty's ability. when healthy he wlil be a good one

You guys still preaching the Doty gospel, God bless ya. Y'all keep clinging to the "not 100%" hope, talking about "develop" etc, but the truth is that he's the same as Hilinski; all hype, no bite. Neither of those dogs will hunt; Ryan proved it at Northwestern, Doty proved it last year, the spring, and this year up to the stench fest of the Vandy game. I'll go so far as to say if Satterfield goes, Doty won't see the field here as a QB again.

For that reason, I don't see Brown going anywhere and I'm now kind of curious about the QB commit from up north now also, what he will do. Gauthier is a wild card; would really have liked to have seen him some this year.

I'm more curious right now about who's going to QB the bowl game .
brown was 3rd string for a reason and he gone anyway because he knows it. yet you dont

A healthy Doty nor Zeb could beat Florida or Auburn. So, they better play the QB that beat those two teams. That's Jason Brown.
thats funny as hell, dak woulda beat florida handily. brown is in no way better than Doty as shown in the mizzoo and clemson games. no other qb had any kind of rushing attack like brown had against those 2 teams

• Haha
Reactions: Legendary Cock
thats funny as hell, dak woulda beat florida handily. brown is in no way better than Doty as shown in the mizzoo and clemson games. no other qb had any kind of rushing attack like brown had against those 2 teams
If Luke is so good, why did he struggle with Vanderbilt? He was absolutely atrocious against Vandy. It was painful to watch.

If Luke is so good, why did he struggle with Vanderbilt? He was absolutely atrocious against Vandy. It was painful to watch.
We did not see a healthy Luke Doty this year. IMO if he sticks around and plays backup to Rattler next year, we're going to see what he brings to the table the following year, assuming Rattler goes pro.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT