ADVERTISEMENT

Mac Brown is a BONEHEAD

I don't agree with the premise of the original post. The out-manned, underdog team, in a game closer than expected, needs to shorten the game not lengthen it. They left their offense on the field when the offense was hot. It was going to come down to one play anyway, then or in overtime, on offense or defense. So why not then with them having the ball down close and not maybe facing fourth down farther away in OT? Now, they might have come up with a better play. They might have executed that one better. But I totally endorse going for the win in regulation.

Reasonable take.

Reactions: king ward
We will beat App St. Guaranteed.
I don't deal in absolutes if I can avoid it. App St is a good team that has beaten a team we lost to, and beaten another we beat in similar fashion, if a little less dominant. I wouldn't guarantee anything like that, but you do you.

Respect your opinion but how is that the case? Clem still had 1:17 to work with to get into FG range. Even if they had gotten it they likely lose 24-22 but at least they wouldve had a chance to prove it on the field.
I think scoring 2 would have proven it on the field. Whether it was going for 2 or playing overtime, it still comes down to 1 play. They had the chance to win it. Going into overtime against a better team doesn’t increase their chance of winning in my opinion.

Reactions: vacock#
It was a great call. UNC would never stop Clempzon from the 25 in OT. If they get it it's pretty much game over. Clemron escapes again.

It was a great call. UNC would never stop Clempzon from the 25 in OT. If they get it it's pretty much game over. Clemron escapes again.
It was the right call. All Clemson had to do is kick a FG and game over. Mack is smart. If only, if only, if... the FB gods had intervened.

played to end it all right there....I have no issues with going for it...
UNC played for the lead not the win. With 1:17 on the clock and 2 timeouts Clemson has MORE than enough time to kick a FG or score a touchdown.

With their thoroughbred receivers, they stand a strong chance of scoring in do or die mode. The two points guaranteed nothing but the lead in that situation.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Including Saturday UNC is 9 of 11 on 4th down and 3 of 4 on 2pt conversions this season. Seems to me that is pretty good odds.

Completely the right call to go for it. The play call itself is debatable but no one on that sideline had an issue with going for it.

UNC played for the lead not the win. With 1:17 on the clock and 2 timeouts Clemson has MORE than enough time to kick a FG or score a touchdown.

With their thoroughbred receivers, they stand a strong chance of scoring in do or die mode. The two points guaranteed nothing but the lead in that situation.
Anything might have happened, including being stopped on downs, a turnover, or a missed field goal. The road not taken is always nebulous. I liked the decision.

Anything might have happened, including being stopped on downs, a turnover, or a missed field goal. The road not taken is always nebulous. I liked the decision.
I agree with everything you said other than the last sentence. Many things in UNCs favor were also possible if they kick the point. However, it's a moot point as they failed miserably in their 2 point attempt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT