ADVERTISEMENT

Made the mistake of listening to Jay Philips for 10 mins today.

I must have heard the same thing you did- he was yelling at a caller about the schedule toughness.

Geez...I just wanted to hear an update about Dak, any other player updates, etc. I should have stayed in the office over lunch- less drama there.
Then you should have listened to the noon show with Pearson and Erik Kimrey. They were on point. I mean Gamecock football is 9 days away and Jay spends a half hour yesterday on Acuna getting hit with a pitch. Tommy laments how many homers there are in baseball, tells what the old dimensions of Yankee Stadium were then relays a piece of trivia you couldn't care less about.

I must have heard the same thing you did- he was yelling at a caller about the schedule toughness.

Geez...I just wanted to hear an update about Dak, any other player updates, etc. I should have stayed in the office over lunch- less drama there.

It’s clear Jay is a very sensitive person. He can’t take any criticism at all- like none.

He can’t debate someone without raising his voice like a middle school kid and acting the fool. He wrongly thinks if he talks tough and emphasizes his words, he’ll make his point better.

He’s a jerk.

Then you should have listened to the noon show with Pearson and Erik Kimrey. They were on point. I mean Gamecock football is 9 days away and Jay spends a half hour yesterday on Acuna getting hit with a pitch. Tommy laments how many homers there are in baseball, tells what the old dimensions of Yankee Stadium were then relays a piece of trivia you couldn't care less about.

Tommy is everyone’s grandpa. He’s talking about things that interest him, not anyone else. That he is on the radio is all the evidence you need that radio is lost.

I ask again...why do y'all continue to listen?
What's said about doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result?

I turned the radio on, walked away to do something and noticed it was on the station from listening to Dan Patrick’s show a few mins earlier this week. I had to take care of a chore and within 10 minutes, I turned it back to Sirius radio.

That was enough to hear Jay talking to a caller like he was a dog. It reminded me of why I’d love the opportunity to tell Jay in person he’s a POS.

giphy.gif

Jay Phillips is a pompous jerk. I’ve never called in and I don’t tweet but the way he disposes of anyone’s opinion that’s not inline with his is very condescending. Not to mention all the nauseating soccer talk. Don’t know if he’s talking about Europe or American. Either way it’s booooring!!!

It’s clear Jay is a very sensitive person. He can’t take any criticism at all- like none.

He can’t debate someone without raising his voice like a middle school kid and acting the fool.
He wrongly thinks if he talks tough and emphasizes his words, he’ll make his point better.

He’s a jerk.
Well, seems like a trend that starts at the top in America.

at least there is a sports station in Columbia that is dedicated to talking about USC sports. Just because there isn't enough to talk about to fill the entire day is no reason to complain. Abd for all any of us know, they probably talked about the topic we wanted to know about before we turned on the station that day. Who knows, but something is better than nothing.

at least there is a sports station in Columbia that is dedicated to talking about USC sports. Just because there isn't enough to talk about to fill the entire day is no reason to complain. Abd for all any of us know, they probably talked about the topic we wanted to know about before we turned on the station that day. Who knows, but something is better than nothing.
Totally agree with this. I try to not listen to one second of Phillips on any show, but the station overall is better than no local sports station.

12-1 show is very good. Kimrey and Pearson are excellent together.

4:00 show is also good. I really like Heath but he can waste up to 15 minutes on a rant in which very few have interest.

1-4 show is awful. Morning show is better than it was but I opt for a podcast or Pandora.

12-1 show is very good. Kimrey and Pearson are excellent together.

4:00 show is also good. I really like Heath but he can waste up to 15 minutes on a rant in which very few have interest.

1-4 show is awful. Morning show is better than it was but I opt for a podcast or Pandora.

I haven’t listened to the morning show in several years.

It really is unfortunate that I get disappointed when the guys at lunch are done with their only hour and I have to listen to 3 hours of that show.

I don't like to complain about local radio guys, but Jay loves to talk about the Braves in a veiled attempt to discuss something that interests the audience. He talls so much about his interests.

It really is unfortunate that I get disappointed when the guys at lunch are done with their only hour and I have to listen to 3 hours of that show.

I don't like to complain about local radio guys, but Jay loves to talk about the Braves in a veiled attempt to discuss something that interests the audience. He talls so much about his interests.
He's a narcissist.

He can’t debate someone without raising his voice like a middle school kid and acting the fool. He wrongly thinks if he talks tough and emphasizes his words, he’ll make his point better.

He’s a jerk.

He sure is. About a year ago, I replied to one of his Tweets. He immediately blocked me. He's such a pansy.

What's said about doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result?
Because I already have Iheartradio tuned to the noon show with Pearson. I try to keep it going, but usually, I'm done after the first 30 minutes. I wish Pearson had 2 hours.

Reactions: viennacocks
Speaking for myself, I keep coming back because it's the only option (I really dislike AM radio).
I'm steadily jonesing for anything about Gamecock sports, so I'm drawn like a junkie to the next fix...... even though that fix is poison. (Okay, that analogy is a little strong/overboard..... but that's kinda the idea.) I tune in and listen until it becomes unbearable; (which includes taking a call from clemsin-Sean, or a midstate roofing commercial).
The train wreck analogy also applies; you know it's something bad and you don't wanna look, but you just can't help it.

Sports radio here in the upstate is just as bad. Incompetence in Spartanburg and arrogant trolls in Greenville.

Speaking for myself, I keep coming back because it's the only option (I really dislike AM radio).
I'm steadily jonesing for anything about Gamecock sports, so I'm drawn like a junkie to the next fix...... even though that fix is poison. (Okay, that analogy is a little strong/overboard..... but that's kinda the idea.) I tune in and listen until it becomes unbearable; (which includes taking a call from clemsin-Sean, or a midstate roofing commercial).
The train wreck analogy also applies; you know it's something bad and you don't wanna look, but you just can't help it.
I think you get a more objectivity from Teddy Hefner and Rich Taylor on 620am. The problem are Hefner constantly pausing mid-sentence, as if he's lost his place reading from a cue card or is trying to remember what he thinks, and the sounds of his breathing, swallowing, and smacking into the mic. It's usually more than I can take.

I said it before and I'll say it again. They need to dump Tommy from the show. Jay has become nothing but a corporate mouthpiece since Michael Haney left and they put Tommy and there instead. Between Michael and Duce, you at least had 1 or 2 people on there that would challenge the status quo. Now, it takes a guest of the show like Cloninger or sometimes JC to call almost anything in the question. (And where is Trey Dyson these days?)

He's a narcissist.
That must be why many of his stories end with some validation or humble brag about himself. Yesterday, he mentioned that he has met several sharp people with Masters Degrees that work for the SEC. I think he was bragging more about meeting them than adding that for the listener's sake.

He also has many friends. He knows alumni from many fanbases. Every time he reiterates that, I think, "He is so damn cool".

Pearson is filling in for Jay today, but Tommy is there. So it's 50% improved.

Pearson is filling in for Jay today, but Tommy is there. So it's 50% improved.
Tommy isn't nearly as bad if he's with a good lead like Pearson. He is pretty bad when he had his own segments like, "who were #9 in gamecock history".

Tommy isn't great but I would keep him and put him with someone else.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I'm not as sold on Pearson like a lot of people here. He also spends a lot of time talking about himself and his likes/dislikes, whether or not people care. He just gets one hour to do it, whereas Jay gets three.

I will say, he does occasionally challenge the conventional wisdom and decisions of the AD and coaches. So kudos for that.

I'm not as sold on Pearson like a lot of people here. He also spends a lot of time talking about himself and his likes/dislikes, whether or not people care. He just gets one hour to do it, whereas Jay gets three.

I will say, he does occasionally challenge the conventional wisdom and decisions of the AD and coaches. So kudos for that.
Agreed but you have to admit he's very good with Kimrey. It may be Kimrey carrying him but they do work well together.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
I think you get a more objectivity from Teddy Hefner and Rich Taylor on 620am. The problem are Hefner constantly pausing mid-sentence, as if he's lost his place reading from a cue card or is trying to remember what he thinks, and the sounds of his breathing, swallowing, and smacking into the mic. It's usually more than I can take.

Teddy hasnt sounded well lately. Sounds like he may have some health issues. I'll take Teddy over anyone on 107.5, which I stopped listening to a couple years ago. Teddy is old, but he at least sticks to sports and played sports

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
1. My favorite guy on the whole station now is Patrick the Intern. He's the perfect combo of knowledgeable and chill. I predict he has a good future in this business if he sticks with it. Most college students wouldn't sound near that polished on the radio.

2. Anybody hear Heath go absolutely insane on Bentley bashers yesterday?
Round-Swimming-Pool-Raft-Inflatable-Heart-Eyes.jpg_50x50.jpg

Reactions: 92Pony
1. My favorite guy on the whole station now is Patrick the Intern. He's the perfect combo of knowledgeable and chill. I predict he has a good future in this business if he sticks with it. Most college students wouldn't sound near that polished on the radio.

2. Anybody hear Heath go absolutely insane on Bentley bashers yesterday?
Round-Swimming-Pool-Raft-Inflatable-Heart-Eyes.jpg_50x50.jpg
I heard Heath's meltdown. I think it was the guy who make the point about Muschamp not playing backups who were seniors. I think that goes back to people thinking Scarneccia should have been giving more playing time.

Pearson told me on this very message board that he had been admonished before for not parroting the official line form the school's athletic department.

Correction: I found the post and he didn't say he was admonished. He said he knew he had rubbed the athletic dept wrong before and some other hosts are more politically correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT