ADVERTISEMENT

Main thing we have going for us tomorrow night is the X factor

ChairForceCock

Gold Member
Aug 17, 2001
And the X factor is how well our coaches have developed these guys. We have no other choice than to sit back until tomorrow night to see if these guys underachieved for Spurrier and company. From the reports, we had harder practices, have a better coaching staff, and better overall player development. Many of the players on the team were studs in high school, so you would think with the right development, they should be able to achieve good results. Sounds like Boom and company do not care what year you are in, he wants results, and plans to put players on the field that will produce.

On paper, Vandy has 17 returning starters, a proven running back, a solid defense, and playing at home. We have less returners, on the road, with an overabundant amount of ?'s.

I think Derek Mason feels his defense can win this for him. I don't think he is too fearful of our offense. He will let Webb get what he can get, punt, and try to hold us. At least until their offense gets settled. I personally hope he does this, because I think that plays to our advantage. Boom will most likely go into the game focusing on Webb. On offense, I think our hurry up may keep them off balance. It will be crucial for us to score first to settle the young guys. I like that we have seasoned players on the O line. If there is one place to have experience, I want it on the line (defense or offense). On defense, the question will be the same as the last two years.....can we put pressure on their QB. If not, it is going to be a long night.

My gut tells me this coaching staff is an improvement over the last. We finally have a real offensive coordinator instead of a head coach trying to control everything in the game. I think we get ahead early, and hold on for dear life. Gamecocks 20 Dores 17

Reactions: uscdoc
The X-Factor is that nobody has seen this team play with this scheme under this coaching staff.

That could lead to a Y-Factor if things don't go well against perennial cellar dweller Vandy.

The X-Factor is that nobody has seen this team play with this scheme under this coaching staff.

That could lead to a Y-Factor if things don't go well against perennial cellar dweller Vandy.
What about the z-factor?
giphy.gif

And the X factor is how well our coaches have developed these guys. We have no other choice than to sit back until tomorrow night to see if these guys underachieved for Spurrier and company. From the reports, we had harder practices, have a better coaching staff, and better overall player development. Many of the players on the team were studs in high school, so you would think with the right development, they should be able to achieve good results. Sounds like Boom and company do not care what year you are in, he wants results, and plans to put players on the field that will produce.

On paper, Vandy has 17 returning starters, a proven running back, a solid defense, and playing at home. We have less returners, on the road, with an overabundant amount of ?'s.

I think Derek Mason feels his defense can win this for him. I don't think he is too fearful of our offense. He will let Webb get what he can get, punt, and try to hold us. At least until their offense gets settled. I personally hope he does this, because I think that plays to our advantage. Boom will most likely go into the game focusing on Webb. On offense, I think our hurry up may keep them off balance. It will be crucial for us to score first to settle the young guys. I like that we have seasoned players on the O line. If there is one place to have experience, I want it on the line (defense or offense). On defense, the question will be the same as the last two years.....can we put pressure on their QB. If not, it is going to be a long night.

My gut tells me this coaching staff is an improvement over the last. We finally have a real offensive coordinator instead of a head coach trying to control everything in the game. I think we get ahead early, and hold on for dear life. Gamecocks 20 Dores 17
Great post.
I think the defense will play well against the run, but I'm worried about Vandy attacking our secondary early. Let's hope we can find a pass rush.
I read in a recent interview that Orth is extremely excited about the offense this season and thinks our playmakers will have many opportunities to make plays. I hope he's right. We need Williams to gain the tough yards between the tackles, so the pass game opens up.
I hope Elliot Fry is on his game tomorrow night. Vanderbilt's defense can be stingy in the red zone.

Great post.
I think the defense will play well against the run, but I'm worried about Vandy attacking our secondary early. Let's hope we can find a pass rush.
I read in a recent interview that Orth is extremely excited about the offense this season and thinks our playmakers will have many opportunities to make plays. I hope he's right. We need Williams to gain the tough yards between the tackles, so the pass game opens up.
I hope Elliot Fry is on his game tomorrow night. Vanderbilt's defense can be stingy in the red zone.
I always get anxious hearing stuff like that. Is he excited because the offense is well ahead or is it because the defense they are going up against have been poor? :confused:

The defense has to be a little better than last year, right? Oh man, it has to be, or we're in serious trouble.
I just remember the preseason talk before that Texas A&M game. Spurrier was hyped about the offense and what they could do. It turned out that it was because our defense took the 'bend, don't break' approach and changed it to 'bend, bend, bend, bend, whoops TD'

I just remember the preseason talk before that Texas A&M game. Spurrier was hyped about the offense and what they could do. It turned out that it was because our defense took the 'bend, don't break' approach and changed it to 'bend, bend, bend, bend, whoops TD'
Crap. Didn't we say that one year ago to date? ;)

You guys are being way too reasonable and making too much sense. Let me hope for one more day.

Reactions: vehemon
They didn't practice hard. Ward failed to alert SOS there were issues OR he didn't know since the contact at practice was minimal. They couldn't even tackle properly. It was the perfect storm of failure.

They didn't practice hard. Ward failed to alert SOS there were issues OR he didn't know since the contact at practice was minimal. They couldn't even tackle properly. It was the perfect storm of failure.
Gawd, I remember the 'tackle attempts' on that Texas A&M game. I haven't seen our stadium that deflated that quickly since the 2003 'incident'.

Gawd, I remember the 'tackle attempts' on that Texas A&M game. I haven't seen our stadium that deflated that quickly since the 2003 'incident'.
been a fan for many many years and there have been so many "incidents".. Discouraging to say the least. Beat Vandy! please!

Especially since we were really in every game last year with the exception of the UGA game. We should be better this year right???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT