ADVERTISEMENT

Manner: LSU game may be played somewhere else

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
From Ray Tanner (typo on my phone).LSU is possibility. Decision to be made in next 24 hours.

I understand where some of you are coming from, but I'm sure there are a lot of Gamecock fans who could care less about a football game right now. Also, if I was going, I'd feel a little guilty sitting at WB cheering (hopefully) while just a few miles away some folks have lost everything.

I don't think it gets played in Columbia, at least not this Saturday. It would go against the very reason why classes have just been cancelled for the week - 34,000 students returning to normal activities in the City will interfere with recovery efforts and place a heavy burden on fragile infrastructure.

It is far from a certainty that the city of Columbia is going to have clean water by Saturday. You can't have 80,000 people coming to a game if the water isn't working. Our players don't have water in their dorms.

The Panthers have their off week. Play in Charlotte. The roads will be clear by then and its an easy drive for anyone that wants to make it.

Heres an Idea......might be a stupid one, wherever the empty seats are. Offer those people free entry, with free food and drinks, it would give them a boost to see there team play while at the same time providing needs. Like I said, might not be the best the best idea, but other than the pocket, what does it hurt?

Cheering for Carolina while folks lost everything? How one affects the other I'd like to know? Take up donations at the Gate for them, geeeez people.
We played Ga Tech 2 days after Hugo hit, this is ridiculous!!
Play Football, or whatever it's called with NO BLOCKING and very little tacking.....

Cheering for Carolina while folks lost everything? How one affects the other I'd like to know? Take up donations at the Gate for them, geeeez people.
Play Football, or whatever it's called with NO BLOCKING and very little tacking.....

Good idea on the donations . Instead of buying a drink or 2 donate $5 from every fan .

The problem isn't just water.

As Coach Tanner said (and I had thought about earlier) - having a home game requires many officers and work from the hwy patrol and local paramedics, etc- that are already exhausted- and will be even more exhausted by Saturday.

So it's more than just the water issue- which is a big issue. Having a home game this week may tax our public servants beyond a breaking point.

Those folks have to - and deserve to - gets some rest and family time. They aren't getting it right now and aren't going to get any the next few days.

Please consider donating now if you haven't already.

Many local organizations are collecting supplies, money, etc. You can donate online to the local United Way and Red Cross.

Our church is collecting everything from food, water to toys for children. My wife went and bought a load of stuff this morning to take to our church that will deliver it in the next day or so.

The SC Baptist Convention has a MAJOR disaster response team (and a really, really good team) already in place serving hot meals to responders and those displaced- as well as chain-saw teams going through areas helping folks. Other groups are doing similar things.

Or when you buy food or drink, all or some of the proceeds go the helping the people.

Let's just get this butt stomping over with. Play in a field of you have to.

Honestly, screw this game. It could not matter less. We, as a community, have way too much to do to even get close to back up and running. Our services are stretched to non existent in many areas. Many of you cannot fathom how bad this is for our area and entire state. The money is going to be staggering. The loss already is. Play it somewhere else. LSU is the logical answer. Good luck to the team and my prayers are with Coach Tanner for having to deal with this right now, when he has many friends who have lost so much as do many of us.

Honestly, screw this game. It could not matter less. We, as a community, have way too much to do to even get close to back up and running. Our services are stretched to non existent in many areas. Many of you cannot fathom how bad this is for our area and entire state. The money is going to be staggering. The loss already is. Play it somewhere else. LSU is the logical answer. Good luck to the team and my prayers are with Coach Tanner for having to deal with this right now, when he has many friends who have lost so much as do many of us.
Thank you.

Honestly, to cancel classes through the week, then turn around and play a college football game on the weekend would look really bad. So I'm fine with moving it. I just hope we get some kind of future consideration from the league for doing so.

Please consider donating now if you haven't already.

Many local organizations are collecting supplies, money, etc. You can donate online to the local United Way and Red Cross.

Our church is collecting everything from food, water to toys for children. My wife went and bought a load of stuff this morning to take to our church that will deliver it in the next day or so.

The SC Baptist Convention has a MAJOR disaster response team (and a really, really good team) already in place serving hot meals to responders and those displaced- as well as chain-saw teams going through areas helping folks. Other groups are doing similar things.

Our church is collecting as well, Many will bring tomorrow night at Wednesday service, and will deliver the following day.

If you're not able to donate, be sure to remember them in your prayers!

Just forfeit or cancel, not going to have a winning season anyway. Let the HBC go play golf.

I love how some of our fans have discovered a new perspective....now that our team sucks. I guarantee they would be singing a different tune if this Saturday was a matchup between a couple of undefeated, top 10 teams.

Personally, I don't care if the game is played here or not, but the game needs to be played somewhere and our guys need to show up and compete. We know LSU would, if the situation was reversed.

Reactions: dcollie and BigTomE
Just forfeit or cancel, not going to have a winning season anyway. Let the HBC go play golf.
If so people wants to come to Columbia for a football game, why not come and help out with cleaning up or what ever is needed, The state of SC needs your help, please come help.

Yes we played GT 2 days after Hugo, but Hugo did not really effect Columbia. So right now in Columbia, many people homeless, no water, and bridges and roads might be unsafe for travel. It would be really smart to hold a home football game this week.

We do a home and home so if we do play in Baton Rouge we should be here next year against them....if we play in Charlotte that could be off the table...

Maybe move it to the Ga. Dome and play Saturday night. Then we could say we achieved our goal of making it to Atlanta!

Reactions: Tursiops
actually we played tech about 17 hours after hugo made landfall.

Play it on Monday or Sunday in Columbia.. Assuming they get the drinking water issue worked out this week. If they do play it on Saturday.. Move it back to a 1 or 2 pm kick off.. Give the fans extra time to get to the game. Who cares about the TV, schedule.. Hopefully they are not jumping through hoops to accommodate TV schedule.. No different then Notre Dame booking extra hotel rooms to play the next 2 days, LSU should be prepared to stay till Monday.. The back roads are not going to be fixed before the end of the season.. Plan to play in Columbia.. If LSU cannot accommodate a Sunday or Monday game, then let them forfeit. The teams could always do what the MLB teams did earlier this year and not allow fans into the stadium and still play the game..

If there is no drinking water, let the fans bring their own, if needed.. Also, no doubt it would be a big fundraiser.....

either way.. hope everyone affected by the floods are safe and prayers to families that have suffered lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT