ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingston...

Kingston will be a very good hire. Go read what national college baseball writers say about him. This is a good "get." He's turned two bad programs into winners at places where there aren't many resources, no fan base etc. A guy like that can certainly do great things at a place like USC.
College baseball coaches don't jump like football coaches for lateral moves. There's no reason for O'Sullivan to come here. He has money, no state income tax, getting a renovated stadium, works a prime state for recruiting etc and works at place where there is probably less pressure to win than there is here (and he's been winning just fine at FL). So why would he come here?
People that are bashing the idea of Kingston as a the HC as USC are doing so because they just don't know him... but Ray Tanner does and many folks here think Ray is 'god' when it comes to college baseball, so I'll go with his judgement on this one!
So, why did he take this long to name him? He could have named him last week if he was the guy. The big fish slipped out of the net again, regardless of what you read.

So, why did he take this long to name him? He could have named him last week if he was the guy. The big fish slipped out of the net again, regardless of what you read.
It's not a decision a guy can make over night he talked with his family now it's time to wheel and deal. I love the hire because of his history and drive. I believe time will tell he is the big fish.

Reactions: rogue cock
jonesz21Well-Known Member

Double?! I'd say more like an infield single.
Ballk is more like it. Somewhere In Laurens Ding Dixon is laughing at our AD internship program

Ding can't laugh...He hired Fig Newton.

You could be right, but Ray is pretty slick. I don't think he missed the big fish. I do think he approached Monte and Sullivan to see what it would take, just to make sure he was doing the right thing.

Then took some time to think and decided that Kingston was his guy.

I think Ray knows how much was on the line with this hire and Kingston will be good.

Reactions: atl-cock
It's not a decision a guy can make over night he talked with his family now it's time to wheel and deal. I love the hire because of his history and drive. I believe time will tell he is the big fish.
He might grow into a big fish. We all hope he does. Right now he ain't no big fish. He's an energetic minnow. I'll look forward to seeing how he does. Tanner will catch Hades if he stumbles.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
He might grow into a big fish. We all hope he does. Right now he ain't no big fish. He's an energetic minnow. I'll look forward to seeing how he does. Tanner will catch Hades if he stumbles.
Like I said read his Bio and see what he has as a history. The best way to judge someones future is by judging his past and he can coach. Shoot, King he will catch heck on here no matter what he does....lol. I trust Tanner regardless of the Holbrook experiment that failed.

I keep reading that everyone in baseball says Kingston is one of the best minds in baseball and is highly thought of. Can anyone link some of the articles/comments? I'd like to read about his strengths and what he brings to the table.

Also, I'm assuming he will bring in his own staff, or at least some of it. Does anyone know about them? I wonder if Toman may come in as an assistant?

Some of y'all slay me. You're talking smack about the guy even before he hires the U-Haul. Is it in your DNA or do you just want to complain about a coach you don't even know? Why give the man hell before he even announces his intentions. At least wait until he losses a game before you post how much the hire sucks.

Reactions: atl-cock
Some of y'all slay me. You're talking smack about the guy even before he hires the U-Haul. Is it in your DNA or do you just want to complain about a coach you don't even know? Why give the man hell before he even announces his intentions. At least wait until he losses a game before you post how much the hire sucks.
I don't like to wait.

I keep reading that everyone in baseball says Kingston is one of the best minds in baseball and is highly thought of. Can anyone link some of the articles/comments? I'd like to read about his strengths and what he brings to the table.

Also, I'm assuming he will bring in his own staff, or at least some of it. Does anyone know about them? I wonder if Toman may come in as an assistant?
I read his history on his team website.

Oh come on. Not this again. (Do you always see the glass as half-empty??) Same with Herman and Smart in the FB coaching search; If a coach doesn't want to be employed at USC for some reason, he isn't coming. CRT can't put them in handcuffs and haul them into a BOT meeting, and force them to sign papers. If they don't want to be here, they don't want to be here. That doesn't mean CRT missed or failed (IMO). KOS had PLENTY of rea$on$ to stay right where he was....and he chose to do so.

In 3 years Tanner will be out if Kingston doesn't do well, UNLESS Muschamp has us in ready to break into the top 15 or so.

Let's face it, Tanner is going to be ok as long as football is trending in the right direction.

I will support Kingston, but this was not a home run hire. Hopefully, he will turn out to be a good hire, but we deserved a person with a much stronger record from an elite program. However, what can we expect from the AD we have. We do not have an elite AD. He is/was an outstanding baseball coach, but an AD who is still on the job training. imho.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
I will support Kingston, but this was not a home run hire. Hopefully, he will turn out to be a good hire, but we deserved a person with a much stronger record from an elite program. However, what can we expect from the AD we have. We do not have an elite AD. He is/was an outstanding baseball coach, but an AD who is still on the job training. imho.
Who do you want?

Is would be hilarious if Tanner pulled his Elliott trick and made Kingston hire Holbrook lol. So far Tanner gets a D+ for his hires

Last edited:
Reactions: NooNoo

co-sign

Mike Current is his recruiting coordinator, hitting coach, and outfield coach. Pulled in a consensus top 10 class in 2015 (rated from 5th to 9th depending on publication). Has had 49 players drafted, six who made it to the majors.
Billy Mohl is his pitching coach. Has the two highest strikeout totals in USF history (both over 500), The team seems to have a low ERA with very few walks. Has had a lot of pitchers drafted....at least 6 in the 3 years he's been at USF.

Reactions: BT Gamecock
Mike Current is his recruiting coordinator, hitting coach, and outfield coach. Pulled in a consensus top 10 class in 2015 (rated from 5th to 9th depending on publication). Has had 49 players drafted, six who made it to the majors.
Billy Mohl is his pitching coach. Has the two highest strikeout totals in USF history (both over 500), The team seems to have a low ERA with very few walks. Has had a lot of pitchers drafted....at least 6 in the 3 years he's been at USF.
Exactly right rogue the man can coach stats don't lie.

Thanks Rogue. I hope he brings them along. I could get behind that.

That's my thought. Hope we actually did attempt to hire the biggest fish possible.

I can't wait to hear how Tanner stayed up all night meeting with him, loved his energy, KNEW he'd be the guy to right the ship blah blah blah.

A meh hire IMO. Could work out and validate Tanner's Directorship. Or could cost him his job. All I know for now is that we didn't get our #1 (or #2?) guy. Which is an indictment of how far the perception of our program has fallen.

Regardless, welcome Mr. Kingston. I trust that you know how to teach bunting fundamentals.

I don't disagree with you that we deserved a blueblood (my word). But just because you deserve such a coach does not mean you can hire such a coach, despite your best efforts.

But like 92Pony said, you can't force someone to come to Columbia who doesn't want to.

Oh come on. Not this again. (Do you always see the glass as half-empty??) Same with Herman and Smart in the FB coaching search; If a coach doesn't want to be employed at USC for some reason, he isn't coming. CRT can't put them in handcuffs and haul them into a BOT meeting, and force them to sign papers. If they don't want to be here, they don't want to be here. That doesn't mean CRT missed or failed (IMO). KOS had PLENTY of rea$on$ to stay right where he was....and he chose to do so.
Did I say KOS? Did I even mention KOS? Bottom line is that the time frame alone suggests that a once-great baseball program has settled.

I can't wait to hear how Tanner stayed up all night meeting with him, loved his energy, KNEW he'd be the guy to right the ship blah blah blah.

A meh hire IMO. Could work out and validate Tanner's Directorship. Or could cost him his job. All I know for now is that we didn't get our #1 (or #2?) guy. Which is an indictment of how far the perception of our program has fallen.

Regardless, welcome Mr. Kingston. I trust that you know how to teach bunting fundamentals.
None of us know RT's candidate hierarchy. For all any of us know, Kingston could have been #1 after all criteria were considered.

No, it's not

Agree to disagree. Our program is a has-been right now, wandering the wilderness of great yesteryears gone by. Still a brand name, with no recent results to back it up. Sorta like So Cal football. Can you name their head coach?

None of us know RT's candidate hierarchy. For all any of us know, Kingston could have been #1 after all criteria were considered.

Possibly. But from outward appearances Tanner's criteria seem centered around "up and comers," big-time recruiters, and UNC baseball alumni instead of sustained postseason success. Hopefully his 2nd hire does better than his 1st.

Possibly. But from outward appearances Tanner's criteria seem centered around "up and comers," big-time recruiters, and UNC baseball alumni instead of sustained postseason success. Hopefully his 2nd hire does better than his 1st.
Agreed, and my guess is that he knew from the beginning that it would be almost impossible to convince a blueblood to come to Columbia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT