ADVERTISEMENT

Masters Champ Reed was kicked out of UGA for.....

All really good competitive golfers have to have confidence, but quite a few I've known over the years are way over on the cocky side, a-holes, actually, especially when they're young. (Even Bobby Jones ran hot when he was a kid.) I guess that's true in most sports,. This is a generalization, of course -- and most of the young jerks that I knew eventually grew up to be OK. But young guys with character to match their talent -- like Spieth and Fowler --are exceptions that prove the rule.
Started playing the game in 1973, back when there were persimmon woods, and Titleist DT's that actually had one llooonnnggg rubberband inside, and I was 6 years old. Played until 2011 when I fractured L-1, T-12 as well as rupturing those disc's. Can't swing a club at all now - it hurts to F'ING Bad!! I Love The Game Though, and everything you said was dead on!!

That may be, but still wouldn't explain why he seems to have no friends on the tour....most of those guys seem to be good friends, except him. This seems to go back further than his wife, as he apparently had the same issues in college. How the heck can you not have any friends on a team with guys you played with for several years?
You bring up a good point. My first thought after Reed won was that he might be another John Daley. But everyone seems to love John Daley.

On the other hand, Couples, Crenshaw, Sergio - the tournament lifted them to another echelon. There is a personal appeal component that is instrumental.
I get your point a bit, but Immelman, Schwtzel, etc. aren't similar to the three you mentioned.

Sergio has been popular since he was 17 years old.

Couples was also popular before his wins - mostly because he's insanely good looking and he struts around every course like he owns it. He also said (somewhere in the mid to late 80's) that he could have been better, but he just didn't really care to put in the work. Won 15 times on tour.

Gentle Ben was always the most likable guy on tour - even before he won in 1984. He had 8 or 9 wins before he won the Masters. Won twice also.

Adam Scott would fit into your group here. Lots of wins and well-known before finally winning a major. But he's a notch above those other fellas I mentioned.

Reactions: TRUEGARNET
I get your point a bit, but Immelman, Schwtzel, etc. aren't similar to the three you mentioned.

Couples was also popular before his wins - mostly because he's insanely good looking and he struts around every course like he owns it. He also said (somewhere in the mid to late 80's) that he could have been better, but he just didn't really care to put in the work. Won 15 times on tour.

Gentle Ben was always the most likable guy on tour - even before he won in 1984. He had 8 or 9 wins before he won the Masters. Won twice also.

Adam Scott would fit into your group here. Lots of wins and well-known before finally winning a major. But he's a notch above those other fellas I mentioned.
All of those fellows have the personal appeal I mentioned. Either a major enhances people like that or the term doesn't mean anything. More nondescript people need to validate, but the green jacket still lifts them above whatever they might have been had they not earned it.

Couples was/is the embodiment of every <10 handicapper's dream. Effortless, flat panache on every swing, explosive power coming from God knows where. Cooler than The other side of Steve McQueen's backup pillow. Golf didnt cause his bad back.

Apparently, Reed was a horrible teammate at UGA and Augusta State. The estranged family issue is just plain sad all around. Who knows the real story on that one...but, it's sad.

As for his golf, the dude was 6-0 in the match play portion of the two national championships Augusta State won. He's played on four winning Ryder Cup and President's Cup teams and his record during those matches is stellar. He took down Rory in an incredible RC match in '16. He does not back down on the biggest of stages, as proven throughout his career. What he did on Sunday was amazing. He never gave up the lead, while taking on the challenges from McIlroy (briefly), Spieth, Fowler, and Rahm.

I think he'll always have his detractors (and for good reasons), but, he can golf his ball...and can stare down whatever comes at him. I'd be surprised if he doesn't win multiple majors.

Apparently, Reed was a horrible teammate at UGA and Augusta State. The estranged family issue is just plain sad all around. Who knows the real story on that one...but, it's sad.

As for his golf, the dude was 6-0 in the match play portion of the two national championships Augusta State won. He's played on four winning Ryder Cup and President's Cup teams and his record during those matches is stellar. He took down Rory in an incredible RC match in '16. He does not back down on the biggest of stages, as proven throughout his career. What he did on Sunday was amazing. He never gave up the lead, while taking on the challenges from McIlroy (briefly), Spieth, Fowler, and Rahm.

I think he'll always have his detractors (and for good reasons), but, he can golf his ball...and can stare down whatever comes at him. I'd be surprised if he doesn't win multiple majors.
One thing many people resent about him is that he has a mechanism that most of us don't have, however much we might protest to the contrary. He's wired up in a way that allows him to be absolutely indifferent to what anyone thinks or says about him. He simply doesn't care. It doesn't register with him. He lacks the capacity to care. And that makeup frees him to achieve his goals regardless of however much it rankles others. I would not want to be as detached and isolated as he is, but I would love to be able to dismiss the opposition of others at will. That would be an amazing tool to have.

And he said his parents physically abused him.

To be correct, from all I’ve read his wife said that. She is the one posting this on social media. His parents have, again from what I’ve read and heard have taken the high road. His wife acts like white trash. Answer this, how badly could he been abused. He was raised with access to all the golf, equipment, coaching and time to play while they raised him. I’d be willing to bet you that when he finally divorces his wife, his parents will become great parents, and he’ll admit they were always great parents. His wife is drama loving white trash.

To be correct, from all I’ve read his wife said that. She is the one posting this on social media. His parents have, again from what I’ve read and heard have taken the high road. His wife acts like white trash. Answer this, how badly could he been abused. He was raised with access to all the golf, equipment, coaching and time to play while they raised him. I’d be willing to bet you that when he finally divorces his wife, his parents will become great parents, and he’ll admit they were always great parents. His wife is drama loving white trash.
His wife reminds me of a couple of those women John Daly married.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT