ADVERTISEMENT

Men's basketball season

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
I've watched the first 3 games and have a few impressions.

1) Leadership - There is no one on the team to take Kotsar's place as the team leader. The one guys look to and respond to. I thought Seventh might be that guy but so far he is not. Neither is Cousinard or Lawson. The best example is PG. Frank has tried 4 different guys there and none of them can run the team. C.

2) Team quickness - We look a little slow on the court. We rely on strength but we lack slashing quickness. The closest to it is Bryant but teams focus on his quickness so much that he has trouble breaking free. He needs to learn to work for the foul more. Trae Hannibal is quick but he plays a little out of control. C-

3) Rebounding - Without Kotsar we don't have anyone to clog the middle but we seem to be holding our own. Leveque just hasn't developed that inside presence yet. After Leveque our size inside drops to 6'8" if you count Frink's hair. McCreary hasn't been a factor yet. Neither has freshman La'Von Benson. That leaves Minaya, Bryant and Lawson to do the rebounding. Somehow we are outrebounding opponents by 3. B.

4) Outside shooting - We don't have a consistent outside shooter. A few guys can make a "3" but none are reliable or consistent. We miss too wide open jump shots. As a team we shoot 44% from outside and 32% from beyond the arc. Opponents are averaging roughly the same. C+

5) FT shooting - We are shooting 63% from the FT line. Opponents are shooting 74%. D+

6) Turnovers - We are turning the ball over 18.7 times per game. Opponents are only turning it over 15.7 times per game. Defense needs to step it up. I think this is evidence we don't have the quickness we need. D.

Going forward we need to cut down on TOs, improve FT shooting and find some leadership. Someone the rest of the team will look to in the crunch. Shooting and rebounding could improve a little too.

I think we are looking at another 18-20 win season if we can get into 2021 with a break even OOC schedule. That might get us into the tournament. Way too early to tell.

I like your analysis, but your grades don’t seem to be reflective of a team that may or may not make the tournament. I’m pretty critical myself, but your grades seem to reflect more of a Muschamp led football team...

Reactions: thisisnextyr
I've watched the first 3 games and have a few impressions.

1) Leadership - There is no one on the team to take Kotsar's place as the team leader. The one guys look to and respond to. I thought Seventh might be that guy but so far he is not. Neither is Cousinard or Lawson. The best example is PG. Frank has tried 4 different guys there and none of them can run the team. C.

2) Team quickness - We look a little slow on the court. We rely on strength but we lack slashing quickness. The closest to it is Bryant but teams focus on his quickness so much that he has trouble breaking free. He needs to learn to work for the foul more. Trae Hannibal is quick but he plays a little out of control. C-

3) Rebounding - Without Kotsar we don't have anyone to clog the middle but we seem to be holding our own. Leveque just hasn't developed that inside presence yet. After Leveque our size inside drops to 6'8" if you count Frink's hair. McCreary hasn't been a factor yet. Neither has freshman La'Von Benson. That leaves Minaya, Bryant and Lawson to do the rebounding. Somehow we are outrebounding opponents by 3. B.

4) Outside shooting - We don't have a consistent outside shooter. A few guys can make a "3" but none are reliable or consistent. We miss too wide open jump shots. As a team we shoot 44% from outside and 32% from beyond the arc. Opponents are averaging roughly the same. C+

5) FT shooting - We are shooting 63% from the FT line. Opponents are shooting 74%. D+

6) Turnovers - We are turning the ball over 18.7 times per game. Opponents are only turning it over 15.7 times per game. Defense needs to step it up. I think this is evidence we don't have the quickness we need. D.

Going forward we need to cut down on TOs, improve FT shooting and find some leadership. Someone the rest of the team will look to in the crunch. Shooting and rebounding could improve a little too.

I think we are looking at another 18-20 win season if we can get into 2021 with a break even OOC schedule. That might get us into the tournament. Way too early to tell.
The inside game was my big concern coming in. I was right, we are getting smashed at the boards, interior shots thrown back at us... It is bad.

What I did not realize is that with all the guard talent we have WE STILL CANNOT SHOOT!?! If we can’t get inside with bigs the traditional way, we need to pull the D out by knocking down jumpers to make more room inside and slash/dish once we see them moving out on our shooters... but you have to MAKE SHOTS to force that and apparently we can’t. We will not even make the NIT baring some crazy turnaround. It is inexcusable that we could have all this talent and not play like we are any sort of a team with a cohesive plan.

Reactions: vacock#
The inside game was my big concern coming in. I was right, we are getting smashed at the boards, interior shots thrown back at us... It is bad.

What I did not realize is that with all the guard talent we have WE STILL CANNOT SHOOT!?! If we can’t get inside with bigs the traditional way, we need to pull the D out by knocking down jumpers to make more room inside and slash/dish once we see them moving out on our shooters... but you have to MAKE SHOTS to force that and apparently we can’t. We will not even make the NIT baring some crazy turnaround. It is inexcusable that we could have all this talent and not play like we are any sort of a team with a cohesive plan.
Look at the stats. While shooting and rebounding could be better they are not the live or die issues for this team. A solid PG, FT shooting and TOs are the issues. I believe team quickness and speed relies on capable passers - especially at PG. FT shooting and the lack of a true PG has been the issue since the FF team. Shoot 74% from the FT line and we will win more games.

One consistent trend with Franks teams are that they develop as the season progressives. With that said, we have not looked strong.

The pace at which they play looks about like 70% speed. I think the lack of identity causes a lot of indecisiveness.

We also lack good passing. Couisnard is not a passer or facilitator. He’s just not. Call me crazy, but TJ Moss is our best option at PG right now.

AJ has turned into a spot shooter. A good one. But he’s not going to be a guy who gets to the rim.
Keyshawn is the guy who can get to the rim, but he takes 16 footers and he’s not a knockdown shooter.

It’s an interesting team. Hoping they can pull it together soon

Good analysis. I was impressed by the way Carolina outplayed #10 Houston on the road during the first half on Saturday. That showed me they can hang with most teams. The second half showed me they still have a long way to go in terms of consistency and maturity. They got rattled and out-hustled throughout the second half.

Hopefully this team gels in a hurry, and to OP's excellent point, hopefully someone steps forward to lead this team. It is Cousinard's for the taking if he will take it.

One consistent trend with Franks teams are that they develop as the season progressives. With that said, we have not looked strong.

The pace at which they play looks about like 70% speed. I think the lack of identity causes a lot of indecisiveness.

We also lack good passing. Couisnard is not a passer or facilitator. He’s just not. Call me crazy, but TJ Moss is our best option at PG right now.

AJ has turned into a spot shooter. A good one. But he’s not going to be a guy who gets to the rim.
Keyshawn is the guy who can get to the rim, but he takes 16 footers and he’s not a knockdown shooter.

It’s an interesting team. Hoping they can pull it together soon
Good observations. I agree about the 70%. Until you find out who you are and who can do what most teams are tentative. What bothers me is that there is very little continuity from one season to the next. It's like they start every season as strangers.

I also agree that the lack of a true PG is hurting them now. Hannibal has tried, Cousinard has tried. Woods has tried and now Moss. He looks the most comfortable in the role.

Reactions: kidrobinski
We give away to many games early on to make the tourney. We do it almost every year. 9 of the past 10.

Look at the stats. While shooting and rebounding could be better they are not the live or die issues for this team. A solid PG, FT shooting and TOs are the issues. I believe team quickness and speed relies on capable passers - especially at PG. FT shooting and the lack of a true PG has been the issue since the FF team. Shoot 74% from the FT line and we will win more games.
This; this

1000 times, THIS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT