ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan/ Wisconsin

Wow….pretty thin-skinned move there by Howard it looks like.
Think he’ll survive this? It’s a really bad look

• Haha
Reactions: cockofdawn
Excuse#1- Howard hit him because he felt threatened. Sure. An open hand slap is my go to when I feel threatened.

Howard had a confrontation with Mark Turgeon of Maryland last year. Maybe he likes to pick on little guys. Like to see him take on somebody like John Thompson or Patrick Ewing or Frank Martin. He started a brawl that could have resulted in something serious. Glad it didn’t.

slap-slapping.gif

It’s hard to tell who started the crap upon first contact when everyone was supposed to be shaking hands….. The taller Coach should not have thrown a punch afterwards…… what a mess.

There are worse things that can happen to a team than having a TO called with time about out when you are way behind. Suck it up and get out of there.

Dude should be fired before leaving the court - in todays climate the Badger Head Coach wouldn't stand a chance in keeping his job if he would have done what Howard did

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
This is an intimidation issue, not a race issue guys. Juwan Howard is a 6'9" ex-player who thinks he can intimidate these mostly 6' foot at best coaches when things don't go well. He has done a good job, but this is the second time. Michigan or the Big Ten need to sit him down for a while (Suspension through at least the Big Ten tournament) to remind him that he is a coach now. The big guy intimidation stuff does not work in that area.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I will never pull for Mich if they don't fire him. It sets a bad example if you allow guys to go around slapping people. Next will be a punch. Then an all out brawl. UM v UW will be an example to bring up forever to justify worse actions. "Well they didn't fire Howard when he did it."

I will never pull for Mich if they don't fire him. It sets a bad example if you allow guys to go around slapping people. Next will be a punch. Then an all out brawl. UM v UW will be an example to bring up forever to justify worse actions. "Well they didn't fire Howard when he did it."
I would have taken what you said here seriously and even considered it. However, your previous post about "Whitey saying an oppressive word" reminded me where your head is at, so I will take a pass on that. Hopefully, cooler heads than yours or Howards will prevail in this process.

I’m sure word will come out that whitey used an oppressive word.
He’ll say he heard a racist term by someone on the Wisconsin staff and he’ll not receive a reprimand. Or he’ll claim that taking the time out is act of white supremacy and the university will forgive — and even apologize to him (re: NASCAR). Typical of today’s woke universities.

I don't think any of those things will happen. He'll probably get suspended through the Big 10 tourney and get fined. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Reactions: Ward Jr
This is an intimidation issue, not a race issue guys. Juwan Howard is a 6'9" ex-player who thinks he can intimidate these mostly 6' foot at best coaches when things don't go well. He has done a good job, but this is the second time. Michigan or the Big Ten need to sit him down for a while (Suspension through at least the Big Ten tournament) to remind him that he is a coach now. The big guy intimidation stuff does not work in that area.
Agree that Howard is a hot head and was mainly acting out because the team he is coaching just got soundly beaten. He probably needs to be suspended for a few games. I in know way think that Howard is a racist for striking a white coach, but do agree with the earlier post saying that if it was Wisconsin's (white) coach hitting a black Michigan coach there would be Many members of the media and some activists saying it was race motivated. That's unfortunately a fact in todays America.

Reactions: Cybercock
Agree that Howard is a hot head and was mainly acting out because the team he is coaching just got soundly beaten. He probably needs to be suspended for a few games. I in know way think that Howard is a racist for striking a white coach, but do agree with the earlier post saying that if it was Wisconsin's (white) coach hitting a black Michigan coach there would be Many members of the media and some activists saying it was race motivated. That's unfortunately a fact in todays America.
I don't disagree that some in the media would have made it a race issue if the roles were reversed. However, that's why the media is not the final say in hiring and firing decisions. I think some of you feel a little too persecuted when it comes to things like this and don't look at the reality of things as a whole. Did Jon Gruden lose his job when the issue over him was about race? No, he lost his job when it became about the LGBTQ community. That's the hot button you can't touch. Did Riley Cooper get cut when he had his little racial outburst. No, he had to go through counseling, and ended up playing and got a contract extension. Most people are reasonable and will allow you to act of character on occasion. So, the concern with Howard is not that this happened. This issue is that this is the second time now. I get where he is going with this. He is trying to big boy these coaches and get in these coaches heads a bit. However, you can't be putting your hands on people as a grown man, leader of a program, and example of young people. John Thompson intimidated coaches, but he didn't put his hands on them.

Woody Hayes was fired for something that is a tiny bit similar to what happened yesterday so it would not be unprecedent to fire Howard. Also, Gary Moller resigned (very likely to be fired) for his misconduct while at Michigan.

Last edited:
I expect a suspension of multiple games, and an apology.

The Wisconsin coach should have kept his hands to himself but you do see coaches touch each other like he did when one doesn't shake hands.

But that in NO WAY excuses a coach from taking a swing at someone.

That could seriously hurt- and I mean seriously - someone who is not expecting to get hit in the face. That is just unacceptable on every level.

The problem with what Howard did is it opens him up to absolutely getting his teeth knocked out by someone going after him. There are plenty of players out there that if they saw their coach get hit like Howard did would retaliate and they could do some serious damage to a coach.

If Howard would have simply told the head coach to not touch him and moved on, it ends there.

Reactions: Snake006
I expect a suspension of multiple games, and an apology.

The Wisconsin coach should have kept his hands to himself but you do see coaches touch each other like he did when one doesn't shake hands.

But that in NO WAY excuses a coach from taking a swing at someone.

That could seriously hurt- and I mean seriously - someone who is not expecting to get hit in the face. That is just unacceptable on every level.

The problem with what Howard did is it opens him up to absolutely getting his teeth knocked out by someone going after him. There are plenty of players out there that if they saw their coach get hit like Howard did would retaliate and they could do some serious damage to a coach.

If Howard would have simply told the head coach to not touch him and moved on, it ends there.
I agree. Expect Howard to be gone through at least the end of the regular season, and wouldn't be surprised if it was for the rest of the season entirely. He is going at guys like it is 1995 and he is still out there playing.

I would have taken what you said here seriously and even considered it. However, your previous post about "Whitey saying an oppressive word" reminded me where your head is at, so I will take a pass on that. Hopefully, cooler heads than yours or Howards will prevail in this process.
What he did wasn't just wrong it sets an example to an already hypersensitive youth that its ok to slap another adult at any point in your life when you don't get your way. Not the first time he's shown this type of attitude. You taking my posts serious is an example of hypersensitive. I knew he would pull some crap out of a bag and not own up to his mistake. My money was on some sort of racism. Instead he said he was afraid of a little white man. He is not a man of good character.

It was childish back and forth on the part of the coaches at the end of the game. No need to press. No need to call timeout.

I thought the Wisconsin Coach was actually more in the wrong during the handshake. In his post game, he said Howard starting with poking in his chest but that wasn't true. Howard asked him to stop touching and the Wisconsin Coach continued to do so.

The slap is in a discussion by itself. Shouldn't happen. Howard is lucky he kept his hand open. That might save his job.

What he did wasn't just wrong it sets an example to an already hypersensitive youth that its ok to slap another adult at any point in your life when you don't get your way. Not the first time he's shown this type of attitude. You taking my posts serious is an example of hypersensitive. I knew he would pull some crap out of a bag and not own up to his mistake. My money was on some sort of racism. Instead he said he was afraid of a little white man. He is not a man of good character.
I didn't say I was taking your previous post serious. I said I wasn't taking your post serious because it is apparent you have some type of racial hostility that you are applying to this situation that no one else in the entire thread did. Well, I guess one other guy was trying to go in your direction, but that was all. "Little White Man"? Come on, what's the point of going there. Pulling crap out of a bag? What's that? Howard, and everyone else with some intelligence, knows that he will be punished. The only question will be how severe it will be. ......and why was your money on some sort of racism. Boy, what black guy hurt your feelings.

I don't disagree that some in the media would have made it a race issue if the roles were reversed. However, that's why the media is not the final say in hiring and firing decisions. I think some of you feel a little too persecuted when it comes to things like this and don't look at the reality of things as a whole. Did Jon Gruden lose his job when the issue over him was about race? No, he lost his job when it became about the LGBTQ community. That's the hot button you can't touch. Did Riley Cooper get cut when he had his little racial outburst. No, he had to go through counseling, and ended up playing and got a contract extension. Most people are reasonable and will allow you to act of character on occasion. So, the concern with Howard is not that this happened. This issue is that this is the second time now. I get where he is going with this. He is trying to big boy these coaches and get in these coaches heads a bit. However, you can't be putting your hands on people as a grown man, leader of a program, and example of young people. John Thompson intimidated coaches, but he didn't put his hands on them.
I think it started as a handshake and then the Wisconsin coach grabbed his arm to stop him. He probably should have kept on walking and chalked it up as Howard being a sore loser. But I do see Frank Martin almost every game during the post game walkthrough handshake line lightly pat the opposing players and coaches on their chest.

It was childish back and forth on the part of the coaches at the end of the game. No need to press. No need to call timeout.

I thought the Wisconsin Coach was actually more in the wrong during the handshake. In his post game, he said Howard starting with poking in his chest but that wasn't true. Howard asked him to stop touching and the Wisconsin Coach continued to do so.

The slap is in a discussion by itself. Shouldn't happen. Howard is lucky he kept his hand open. That might save his job.
How is it not true? You believe the guy who got his vagina hurt and slapped a coach? Per Gard...

"We were going down the line and we were all fine," Gard explained. "He came up to me and pulled his mask down and said: 'I’ll remember that.'

"He started pointing at me and tapped me in the chest. I said: 'Hold on. Let me explain to you why I took the timeout.'

It’s hard to tell who started the crap upon first contact when everyone was supposed to be shaking hands….. The taller Coach should not have thrown a punch afterwards…… what a mess.
Coaches usually GO FIRST to shake hands, Howard didnt!! Apparently the Wisconsin coach called a TIMEOUT, taht is what PISSED off Howard. Thug Move by Howard IMO!!!

How is it not true? You believe the guy who got his vagina hurt and slapped a coach? Per Gard...

"We were going down the line and we were all fine," Gard explained. "He came up to me and pulled his mask down and said: 'I’ll remember that.'

"He started pointing at me and tapped me in the chest. I said: 'Hold on. Let me explain to you why I took the timeout.'

Looking at the tape you can tell Gard's account is not accurate. Gard grabbed Howard by the arm and continued to keep his hands him on even though Howard stated at least twice to stop. There was no tapping in the chest until things escalated between the two.

Howard is still the guy in the wrong at the end. However, Gard had his part in the entire ordeal. There's 3 seconds and you're up 14. Throw the ball in and go home. Don't make up stuff about the clock. The clock didn't matter at all.

I think it started as a handshake and then the Wisconsin coach grabbed his arm to stop him. He probably should have kept on walking and chalked it up as Howard being a sore loser. But I do see Frank Martin almost every game during the post game walkthrough handshake line lightly pat the opposing players and coaches on their chest.
I am not a big fan of the handshake line on the collegiate level myself. Too much money and feelings on the line. I remember about four years ago Coach K getting into hot water a little for putting his hands on and scolding Dillon Brooks (Oregon Ducks/now Memphis Grizzlies) for excessive celebrations. I get the sportsmanship part of it, but with the hypersensitivity in society now, there are too many things that can go wrong.

I didn't say I was taking your previous post serious. I said I wasn't taking your post serious because it is apparent you have some type of racial hostility that you are applying to this situation that no one else in the entire thread did. Well, I guess one other guy was trying to go in your direction, but that was all. "Little White Man"? Come on, what's the point of going there. Pulling crap out of a bag? What's that? Howard, and everyone else with some intelligence, knows that he will be punished. The only question will be how severe it will be. ......and why was your money on some sort of racism. Boy, what black guy hurt your feelings.
Howard’s a loser and should be fired. Lucky he’s 6’9”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT